PDA

View Full Version : My Youngblood

Hunter
02-12-2002, 08:01 AM
This is my oddity.

Hunter
02-12-2002, 08:05 AM
Anodized CMC manual jack - Stainless marine hydraulic jackplate - 2000 225 Pro Max - Sea Star Pro

Also note the custom ordered (powder coated black)Stainless Marine cleats.

Laker
03-11-2002, 01:45 AM
OOooo How does she handle?
Very nice!!!! That is one I have not seen
Very nice!

Hunter
03-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Mostly because I'm not currently generating a lot of bow lift. That's because I don't have the manual setback low enough to let the thru hub Trophy plus bite (at least I think that's it) or buy the damned Chopper Plus the thing deserves...well, and I'm in Korea so there's not much I can do about it until Sep.

Lots of work into it to get to where it is now. Everywhere. I bobbed 18 inches off the back of the trailer to get the CG right. See, it's a jet boat design (you can see what I'd call awl lines in the gel coat molding where the builder would have cut for the pump) so there was almost no noticeable weight on the hitch when delivered. Replaced all the wiring except Merc's harness, the fuel tank...god, I'm boring me but it's extensive.

The thing’s a great ski boat but, like most Mod VP hulls, is rather tender in the chop. Still, it is shockingly easy to launch/recover, faster than I need it to be, and drives like a Malibu Response on steroids.

RTodd
03-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Is this a Youngblood boat?

Hunter
03-29-2002, 06:27 AM
At least that's what Firehawk called it when they built it.

FCnLa
04-09-2002, 12:56 AM
It was designed by Jim Youngblood and first built for a jet.

It was called a TX19 when Jim built it. He got rid of the molds when he built the TX20 and later the TX18. I think he said the molds were in OK some where last time he knew.

The later boats were picklefork tunnels with a center pod, for the jet of course:o.

They did not run many OB's. The few he built had a chining problem, but with today's advances in set ups, this might be corrected.

B.Leonard
04-10-2002, 12:26 PM
Very cool looking boat Hunter!! Love that cobalt blue. :)

-BL

Hunter
04-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Yeah, if you're willing to crawl under the trailer, you can see the slightly depressed line in the surface which defines where to cutout for the pump. It's got knees glassed in the full height of the transom, running 2.5 feet forward with full length stringers. Otherwise, it's exactly like every other pumper TX19.

As I've previously posted, I know of only one other outboard TX19. It was white with a yellow panel on the sides and OMC powered. It was for sale in OKC, OK two years ago. In a sorry state, a student pilot from Vance AFB bought it and ran it on Canton lake. I actually saw it at Zaloudek's in Enid while it was getting the skeg repaired. The cable steering was almost frozen but the guy told me it did 60 - 65 mph with no jackplate or trim.

Jimmy Johnson owns the molds now I think. He's mostly trying to sell his 26' Firehawks now. I think he's still in business.

Yeah, it does chine walk some with the prop buried. Really, though, it's pretty manageable. Mostly, it reminds me of the boats that used to run in front of my folks dock on Mason Lake, WA ... sort of.

Blue. If I couldn't keep it in the garage, I'd have gone with a lighter color in anticipation of fade. Still, it's striking in person. Most folks think it's paint but it's gelcoat. You'd think I'd learn a lesson on dark paint but I just took delivery on a 2002 HD Deuce - black.