PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs on a 24 Skater

jayjays
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey guys,
I have a 24 Skater with a pair of promaxes on the back. She is very stable considering the power. I am seeking to enhance stability even further without necessarily sacrificing speed. I once saw a 28 Skater advertised on Boatrader and it had some racing trim tabs (one on each sponson). I really would like to either touch base with this guy or someone else who knows the setup to see what if anything there is to be gained.

Hope to hear from someone!
JJ

Hottrucks
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
I haven't seen any 24's with them and I'm looking to buy one soon, so I have seen alot of them. All that I have ridden in seem not to need them the get on plane quickly and at speed you don't need them. Even a @ 100mph. The only reason I guess to have them would be to help hold it on plane at low speeds, Personally I would be afaid of tearing them off or makeing one of the best hulls around act oddly and unpredictable

Just my .02
Jeff

Post a pic of yours and fill out your location under user cp

Welcome to the board you will find all the help you need here!!

beer30
10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Trim tabs or tunnel tab? 24's are quick on plane and very stable at speed, why would you need them. :confused: Also how much room are you going to have with engines on each sponson anyway? :eek: :confused: Chuck.

Brad Zastrow
10-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I would not waste the money.

OceanmarineB
10-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Tony's last Skater that he won the World Championships with (36' triple 2.5 EFI Skater "Ocean Outboard") had trim tabs on it. Doubt you need them unless your going to race it offshore and want every last drop of stability and performance out of the hull for rough water. Give a call to us and ask for Jim Molnar he can guide you in the right direction; (516)378-0105

at100plus
10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Are you rotating your props inward or outward?

You shouldn't have stability problems unless you are turning them inwards.

Refer here for some info on why to turn them outward:

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93457&highlight=outward

What is your top speed? At what speed are you feeling you'd like it to be more stable?

Most people seeking info about tabs are referring to center k planes because they don't like the hop that occurrs between 48 mph and 68 mph as a result of hydrodynamic lift converting to aerodynamic lift.

That discussion has had mixed feelings around here but I personally say, live with it and don't go those speeds unless the chop is enough to provide the lift and prevent the porpoise.

jayjays
10-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for reply,
Yes I am racing it. Its pretty stable overall for a 24. I've had her up to 105mph. The worst is when it is flat calm until about 80mph. She gets very light and bouncy in the front. I like stability and want to increase it in any way I can. Props are outward turning.
Just trying to improve in every way!
JJ

at100plus
10-15-2005, 08:10 AM
It shouldn't hop after 70. When you get into the 60s in flat calm start turning off course to the right and then turn harder back on course to the left course. That disrupts the air in the tunnel and begins the transition to aerodynamic lift. If you noticed, it won't hop while turning and as soon as you hit a wake or some chop the hop stops. For the same reason. Otherwise avoid do under 50 or over 70 if you don't like the hop. It's the nature of the beast.

OceanmarineB
10-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Tabs while not needed on Skater's will only make it handle better. Give us a call and ask for Jim he's rigged enough of these to know what would help you.

at100plus
10-15-2005, 06:41 PM
They make it more prone to stuffing if you make a mistake with them. You're better off without them on a 24.

jayjays
10-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks Guys for the knowledge!
I will give Jim a call to at least discuss the pros and cons. I know that trim tabs increase tendency to stuff. This I don't want. Most have a tunnel tab, I don't need to plane any faster but would like to remove the bounce. I know a tunnel tab would do this.
2 more questions:
1 Will a tunnel tab make it more likely to stuff same as trim tabs?
2. Does a tunnel tab add any stability at high speeds when aerodynamic lift is achived?

Also, I will be at both the Ft. Lauderdale show and in Key West to watch the big race. Any of you guys around?

Sincerely,
JJ

at100plus
10-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Call Wildman he likes using tabs on his 24 Liberators.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/member.php?userid=42

jayjays
10-16-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks,
How do I contact him or will he just respond to this thread?
JJ

at100plus
10-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Send him a private message or search his other posts, I'm sure he has a number posted. He's a Checkmate and Liberator dealer in Florida.

OceanmarineB
10-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Thats a question i would also ask Jim, He will be in the office tomorow all day (516)378-0105

87vantage
10-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I have the 24 liberator hull and considering powering it with 2oo promax's (1997/8 models) what kind of speeds could i expect with this power? Does the 24 liberator perform as well or close to the 24 skater, I know they are the same hul with different interiors but havent noticed a good comparison that has been done. Thanks Chuck

apache21
10-23-2005, 08:25 PM
The Skater will be faster. The Liberator is a nice knock off of the 24 Skater. The Liberator runs great with twin 300x's. You top speed with the 200's should be somewhere in the 92-95 MPH range.