PDA

View Full Version : anybody think SVS makes a big difference

SPECTRE racing
10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
im thinking about buying a SVS and dont know much about added performance

Scream And Fly
10-04-2005, 10:12 PM
For what engine?

It sure does make a difference - a very good one!

Greg

SPECTRE racing
10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
for a 300 pm

Scream And Fly
10-04-2005, 10:16 PM
There are people here that use an SVS with that motor. It's a worthy investment that won't compromise engine reliability at all - unlike most modifications.

Greg

SPECTRE racing
10-04-2005, 10:18 PM
300pm

For what engine?

It sure does make a difference - a very good one!

Greg

SPECTRE racing
10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
im running a 21 spectre v bottom not many people are familiar are you?

Toffen
10-05-2005, 07:53 AM
im running a 21 spectre v bottom not many people are familiar are you?

Hi!

I have a PM 300 with SVS and High Flow Reed Plate + adjusted ECU by Repair. I gained approx. 200 rpms on my Phantom 25 (2500 lbs weight) offshore hull + much more punch. There has been no issues.

Cheeers!

Toffen G :)

jeffbare
10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
This might sound stupid, but what is a SVS, and would it work on a 2.5 carb?
Jeff

Scream And Fly
10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Jeff,

That's not a stupid question at all. The SVS (http://www.brucatosvs.com) (Stackable Velocity System) is a patented intake system that equalizes air flow to all cylinder banks. It uses slide plates to control air flow, which allows for much less turbulence in the intake, as well as stackable spacers to adjust intake velocity. It's for 2.4, 2.5, and 3-litre EFI engines and provides a nice midrange and top speed gain over stock intakes. Installation is very easy and does not require any modification to the engine. It does not work with carb engines.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8382/dscn20275el.jpg

Moodgam
10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
What effect if any does it have on fuel consumption?

Scream And Fly
10-05-2005, 10:04 PM
None, that we have seen. It's basically a win-win situation. Seriously.

Greg

RC51
10-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I am also interested in getting one on a 2.5. However, I have been told they idle like crap and have a problem dying if you are heavy in the throttle and all of a sudden back off. Does anyone have any input on those issues? thanks

Scream And Fly
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
We never experienced any of that. The engine's running quality is as good, if not better than stock.

Greg

Li'l Toy
10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I almost bought a used boat with a 3 litre 225 and SVS. I am leary of ever buying a modified motor used unless I know who did the work, but I looked into SVS. I read a very good article by John Tiger--it may be a link right on Brucato's website--that was very positive about the system. You might want to go to Tony's site and see if that is where the link is.

Ted Stryker
10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Mercury supplied some of their most serious competition engines with the SVS from the factory... I would run the SVS intakes if I had the $...

RC51
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok, thanks. I was wondering because it came from a reliable source and it concerned me to say the least. I have not spent the money yet and am tossing the SVS and the MAD in the air. In short it is my understanding that the SVS is easier to set up but doesn't work quite as well as a MAD system that has been set up correctly which I'm told isn't a easy task.

jeffbare
10-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Do the 1" spacers that JSRE and others make do something similar for the carb motors? I have been thinking of making that modification. I have read several of the threads that support using them, saying that they make a big differance in the idle, acceleration, and midrange. What do you guys think?
Jeff

The Big Al
10-05-2005, 11:32 PM
I have the SVS on my 2.5 and it has always worked great and was a great improvment.

Also have the PCU, steam wheel and had the injector service done, all have been well worth the investment.

Also the support you get from the Brucato's is second to none!!!!

MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!!

The Big Al
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
This might sound stupid, but what is a SVS, and would it work on a 2.5 carb?
Jeff

no!!!!!! It's a air intake for EFI systems

The Big Al
10-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I am also interested in getting one on a 2.5. However, I have been told they idle like crap and have a problem dying if you are heavy in the throttle and all of a sudden back off. Does anyone have any input on those issues? thanks

Totally unknown to me!

Has no effect on the low speed operation at all.

It's a bolt on and go system. You need to see how it works to understand how that is not possible.

Raceman
10-06-2005, 05:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Mercury supplied some of their most serious competition engines with the SVS from the factory... I would run the SVS intakes if I had the $...

The late 300 drag came from the factory with the SVS. Although the domestic version of the S3000 still had the horn I believe some European versions were delivered with SVS also.

Tony's ECU called PCU is also a GREAT addition to the Mercs. It made a different engine out of my early (horn) 300 drag.

rock
10-06-2005, 06:14 AM
I've had a couple of them and they work well. Tony will take the time for support if you need it though you likely will not as the installation and set-up are fairly easy. His PCU is also a great product due to it's adjustability. If you boat in different parts of the country it is a must for any modified motor.
Rock

JJB
10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Spectre,
I have heard nothing but good about the SVS and from what I hear from other members can only enhance the 300pm's performance.
Is the 21' a center console like the 22' or is it a closed deck?
What setup and top end speed are you getting from the 300pm?

I had a 94' 22 Spectre with a 94' 200 and eventually ended up putting a 98' 300pm I bought from TNT marine. Here's the only two pictures I still have of the boat (after market cowl decal).

JJB

Moodgam
10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
So, assuming you were going to go with an SVS what other simple mods should be done at the same time?

jeffbare
10-06-2005, 11:12 PM
TTT
good question.

rock
10-07-2005, 06:42 AM
On a stock set-up, the air must go behind the plennum and then turn 180 degrees in order to enter the engine. There are six intake ports receiving air from four openings.The SVS allows the air a straighter shot and more even flow than the stock configuration. The velocity stack feature promotes tunable velocity of the air therfore alowing the motor to access more air. Simple mods might be to raise compression a bit. Have the ECU reprogrammed to allow more fuel to go with this extra air and possibly raise rev limiter if you've been bumping it. An engine is more or less an air pump so now you can introduce more air evenly you might want to consider mods a little more complicated in order to get that air out. In other words, some exhaust modifications such as a less restrictive tuner ( sorry Raceman ) and/or exhaust cavity work. There are a lot of guys here with much more experience than I and I imagine they can give you a better answer but this should give you the idea of what is going on.
Rock

david laser86
10-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I just bought one. I should have it by Thursday. I'll let you know in a week or so. Mine's the blue one for the 2.5 like in the pic. I also have the PCU. What basic tuning (PCU settings) is needed when swapping from the horn to the SVS? I just need to get it in the ballpark.
Dave

Jimbo
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I have the SVS on a 225HP Pro Max. Comes on strong from mid range to top end. Gives a 3 to 5 MPH improvement at top end depending on water conditions. Also idles well, simple to install and does not hurt reliability.
Motor is on an Allison XB2002.

Jim

RC51
10-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Well with all the good things I read about these I will buy the used one I can get my hands on for a good deal. What will I need to install it besides the actual intake? Do they use the same reeds or is that part of the kit? I have the A48 box that Randy Peirce has gone through for me. Will that work Ok or will I need the one from Tony to get the most out of the SVS? Thanks for the help

rock
10-11-2005, 05:55 AM
Unless something is missing, all you need is tools.
Rock

RB in NM
10-13-2005, 09:17 AM
I too have Tony's SVS for my pro max, along with his PCU and injectors cleaned a couple of times.

The SVS is easy to install, good directions are supplied with the unit.

Your ECU will work fine along with the SVS. The PCU is a replacement version that is highly adjustable.

Someone mentioned their motor died when coming off the gas, and had bad idle qualities,,,,,better check yer reeds, cuz the SVS provides far greater air flow,instantly, provided me far better accelaration, midrange and even a little on top due to some added RPM's.

The SVS to ANY motor is sorta like if you were to take a restrictive Air cleaner off of your car motor carburator,,,,gobs of air can then get in the carb,and you can feel some performance gains, even tho all you have done is allow more air into the motor.( using this comparison regarding the ProMAx stock intake design, with the backwards flow into the plenum)

It's a kickass unit, Tony and Linda's service,willingness to help, and their customer satisfaction is second to none!!!!

Russ

Wizard
10-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I've got one too and a modified 225 EFI. That was the last thing I added after stock 300PM heads, 300X exhaust tuner, solid mounts, remapped ECU and reeds.

Replacing the stock metal reeds is a must with the SVS. Backing off the throttle with all that air will cause the stock metal reeds to flutter. I put in simple single stage carbon fiber reeds that have been fantastic.

The SVS is a great, easy to install unit. It's very trick looking and will improve your performance. I saw most of my gains in holeshot and mid-range. Maybe a small bump on top but remember I have a modified motor that was allready turning out over 270hp.

I'll second the exceptional service by Tony and Linda. I bought mine used and had some questions about the linkage. They were quick in responding and very helpfull.

Bottom line is if your going to trick out a motor it ain't done till you have an SVS on it. :cool:

Lars T
10-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Will the 300X tuner fit any 3.0?? say an 250XS :)

Moodgam
10-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Since the SVS introduces a greater amount of air do you need to do anything with the ECUs?

eyeloveboats
01-13-2006, 08:11 PM
svs is the best bolt on mod for the money and crazy power out the hole

The Big Al
01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Since the SVS introduces a greater amount of air do you need to do anything with the ECUs?

No, Ecu corrects itself, but with the addition of Brucato ECU, you can fine tune it!
And then wamo!

Dan Rolfe
03-30-2023, 05:29 PM
GREAT thread all, you convinced me to make the addition to the old fishing rig. I ordered/received the parts from power performance the slide and ECU to match, great looking parts. I scheduled service to have the parts installed and was turned down form the local marina, they don't install high performance parts! I'm just sharing the story in case anybody else is thinking about the purchase/planning to have a marina install get that line up in advance.