PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Too

Gatortrout
10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Hello,
I have just entered the ring of jetboats. Last week I bought a 1971 Sidewinder 18ft with a 455ci Olds on a trailer. I should make a note that is pretty much all I got. The steering wheel and instrument panel is still in place. The hull appears to be solid. This is easily seen due to not having any interior. In the boats' history someone painted the top and did a lousy job. The motor needs a flywheel, a starter and a good dose of cleaning and re-wiring/ re-hosing. It has through- hull Hardin headers with the flow restrictors. I found some pictures of a '69 on www.fiberclassics.com (http://www.fiberclassics.com) website. I have couple questions as to how to identify some of the components.
1. Where is the model # located on Berkley jets?
2. Will any type of metal work when replacing the flywheel? Does it mainly change the cost and look?
3. Are there any books or manuals that you have found to be "must have" in the restoration process?
4. Without dressing up the boat to showroom looks or warp speed, what is expected to spend on a restore? I know this is a pretty wide open question, just in the ballpark figure.

I know these are questions that I should have asked PRIOR to buying a boat. Like a little kid.....I had to have it. However, I know plenty of guys who have asked and known the answers and still haven't left the backyard yet.
Thank you for your help ahead of time. I know I'm not the only one who jumped into this hobby with both feet.
Gatortrout

triple dude
10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Regarding the jetpump, look up a website for American Turbine. My boat has their unit. I'm not real current on this, but five years ago, they were buying up all the other jet companies. I think Berkley was one of them.

Bogman
10-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Gator

A guy who goes by the name Rampager here on S&F is into jet boats in a big way. He's just restored an Eagle, I'm sure he would like to hear from a fellow jet boater, he has alot of knowledge and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out. Good luck

Dan

Gatortrout
10-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes thank you for the info. CP Performance is a distributor for Berkeley Jet Drives. I found good diagrams and part lists on both their site and American Turbine. I have sent an email to CPP with model numbers so they can figure out what drive I have.

Have any of you ever lifted the top of the boat from the hull? I was reading about it last night and I'm a bit afraid to, not knowing how well they fit back together.

Do you or anyone you know have any info on the Sidewinder boats?

Thank you,
Gatortrout

Rampager
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey Gator

Not too sure I can help you too much with your q's as we are talking about two very different beasts here. I just resurrected a damaged Eagle tunnel which was a former unlimited marathon race boat but of course its all aluminum. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm allluminum :D:D:D:D:D

I guess you have figured out the drive bit, berkeley ID plates have the model and impellor on them and are usually located directly above the driveshaft input on the suction housing(inside the boat)
Im not the one to ask about fibreglass reapirs as I have never owned a glass boat! (first jetboat was wood)

I would replace a flywheel with a flexplate personally. There is little need for the weight oif a flywheel in a boat. Make sure you retain any balance that you need when making the swap. Check what that year/model engine requires. I ran an unweighted one on a motor that needed a weight for a weekend and it was extremely noticable!

Costs acan be anywhere as people have said, largely dependant on how fancy you want the boat to be and how much you can do yourself.

There must be a forum or club for sidewinder hulls somewhere????

Cheers

p.s. lets see some pics!

Gatortrout
10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Rampager,

Thanks for your reply. CP Performance said that based on the numbers I sent them off the drive that I have a Berkeley 12JC jet drive. My plans over the next month are to pull the engine and start tearing it down. I don't have much history on the engine. Given the condition it is in now, one manifold off, starter and alternator removed and no Flame arrestor, I think I should dig into it to make sure it is right and not rusty. The pics I post will prove there are a lot more prettier boats to be found. I guess this is what happens when those of us who don't have the $$ to buy a hotrod already done. One of the guys that will be helping me has a 33ft Fountain Executioner with 2 supercharged 540ci Merlin Blocks. Maybe I could sneak one of his engines into the back of my boat.:D:D

Does anyone have any experience with Carter 4 barrel carborators? My guess it came with the engine, who knows really. I guess I will use it if it works. If not, are there any reliable carbs out there a low-budget can afford? Also, any thoughts about going with a high rise manifold? Who would be a good source to find out what the different levels of rebuilds cost? I guess what I am getting at is I would like to do some dressing up and modifing to the engine. At what point does the rebuild start to require groups of parts to change. I want a strong reliable engine for the weekend, not racing. Does this make any sense? I have a champane taste with a bad beer wallet.:(
Gatortrout

Rampager
10-10-2005, 08:25 PM
So a 12jC is a standard berk drive but has a one peice bowl. Did they manage to give you any impellor spec?
Pics will help alot of us give you some more info and we all like pics to boot!
Don't worry about what the condition of the boat is now. Alot of us start with basket cases, its what you do with them!
Cheers

Gatortrout
10-11-2005, 06:48 AM
This is true. I have to remember it is what you do with it the can make it great. Last night I compared the 12JC diagram to my drive. Most everything looks similar except the transom plate. Are these plates interchangable among drives? Instead of having a round bowl connecting to the transom, there is a square plate with threaded holes in all the corners except the bottom left. I did determine that I need a nozzle and rudder because the rudder missing and the piece that holds the rudder has broken off. Ahhh the surprises of a $300 boat and trailer:confused:
Gatortrout

Rampager
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Don't worry about the rudder, seriously it doesn;t do anything anyway!
Learn to drive without one, you will be better off.
I think transom plates as you describe are interchangable and depend on transom angle and hull design. Pics will really help us give better info here
Cheers

BUSHWACKER
10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
IMHO "mite" wanna stop & put a BB Chev in it now cheaper parts & easier to find. Ask others too.
I think if ya go to www.hydrostream.org brouse around you'll see other brands I think yours is there look at what others have done to theirs or what it looked like new. I found the sales book there for my 1976 Avenger 230 Daycruiser 455 Olds, was 5mph faster w/ a 425 Tornado eng they had mo hp cause of FWD. GOOD LUCK

Rampager
10-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Was surfing jetboatracing.com yesterday and noticed a guy in the classified section with a ton of stuff lying around for a 455 if you're interested.

http://www.jetboatracing.com/

there is a link to the classifieds there

Cheers

EASY MONEY
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
couldent of said it better my self