PDA

View Full Version : Dolefins Performance Implications

jeffbare
09-22-2005, 01:32 PM
What effect does a dolefin have on the performance of a vegas xt? I assume it would help getting it on plane a little, but are there any other effects through the mid range speeds? What are some other products that are the same idea, but might be made for high performance.
Jeff

WATERWINGS
09-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Bob's Machine Shop makes an aluminum one, (two actually), that are better than a Dolefin.

Alison makes one too.

If your motor is up high enough, (propshaft near/around pad), then it is out of the water at speed.

They will allow you to take off with less bowrise, and also cruise at a much slower speed without falling off plane.

chris_lacey
09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I have been using a "Bob's" planing plate for a few years and I think it's great. I didn't notice any speed loss, and planing in half the time.

jeffbare
09-22-2005, 09:27 PM
It sounds like there really isn't any downfall to having a fin. I assume that it will reduce porposing when you have a full load.
Jeff

WATERWINGS
09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
It will help, but the motor has to be trimmed down enough to allow the plate to do its job.

DAMN, looks like I need one.....................I CAN'T KEEP THE BOW DOWN !!

hsbob
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
jeff

i would run my voyager without them. finally got my son to mount them and i think the hole shot really surprized him. i havent notice and difference in the top end. some people use on more similar to the bobs which has the fin area more towards the front , see attach pic taken from the race section of the hydrostream board.

jeffbare
09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
The 2 things I want to improve are: 1. Hole Shot, 2. reduce porposing when I have 4-5 people and trying to cruise at slower speeds. Where can I find the proper products? I looked at Bobs Machine, and would like to see some more options.
Jeff

David
09-23-2005, 06:23 PM
My first experience was with a 14' very shallow V with a 60 HP Johnny

A plastic fin scrubbed off about 2 mph of top speed.
It didn't effect holeshot much
The fin did resolve the porpoising

Then I added a Bob's fin to a 150 XR4 on a Hydrostream Virage w/jackplate
Big improvement in holeshot and pulling skiiers.
Massive reduction in ventillation when planing with over hub prop
No difference in top speed
The motor ran very high on a jackplate at top speed so the fin was out of the water
Best addition I ever made to that rig

DRHOBACK
09-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the Bob's mounted? Does Bob's have them for 3 Litre SM?
Danny

jeffbare
09-25-2005, 10:24 AM
It sounds like the Bobs fin is the best, does any think otherwise? Whis is better? The fin that mounts on the leading edge of the lower unit, or the trailing edge?
Jeff

jeffbare
09-27-2005, 06:43 PM
ttttt

hsbob
09-28-2005, 09:09 AM
jeff look for one that has the back cut out as per my posted picture. i have see some traffic on the missing back adding to seed [allows the water to off the prop cleaner???].

you can make one out of 3/16 alumium plate shaped like the doel fins. cut it with a saber saw [or band saw] and file smooth. the doel fin mount with twa 1/4 SS screws and nuts.