PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast or Sand????????

302Sport
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I have a 30ft center console and was wondering which was a better method for prepping the inside for paint. Or if you have any ideas just let me know thanks a lot

Liqui-Fly
09-22-2005, 11:43 AM
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product;part;38180;process;search;ID;,Abrasives,Wire.Brushes

302Sport
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
thanks a lot, have u used this before?

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
09-23-2005, 10:32 PM
If you sandblast fiberglass it will leave pinholes in the gel coat. You then will have to use a high build epoxy primer, or even worse, have to skim coat with filler. I once media blasted a hull thinking it would not be as aggressive as sand. It was not, however I did have to skim coat the exterior with the filler. Pin holes were too deep to fill w/filler primer. It is painstaking having to sand the inside areas, but it is a must, or the paint will shed like a snake, or chip really easy in due time. I always wetsand w/600 by hand, or 400 with D.A. prior to paint. Try the Norton wheel as listed above if you wish. Sounds good, but if it does not work as described, and leaves deep scratches, or does not scuff enough, you will be sanding again later anyway. Just my past experience, and thoughts...............................I just finished a Champion bass boat, lots of nooks, and crannies in that one! But it passed the owners zipper test when I was finished.