PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Gurus out there?

baja200merk
09-21-2005, 05:05 PM
i now drive my grandfathers 1987 4cyl 5spd 2 door toyota. it was my fathers firist he put 31x9.5in tires on it and they are still on it. its got 47000 miles on it and because of the salt air around here it has been eaten alive! :rolleyes:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=8/23018553371.jpg
but runs awsome and i drive it all over the beach up dunes, pulls out excursions like it is its job ect. i love it so i want one of my own.
im looking for a v6 1989-1995 5 SDP ext cab 4x4 was wondering if any one knew;
1. any known problems with these motors/ trucks (besides rust :rolleyes: )???

2. i see most trucks for sale have over 175000 miles on them so i want to know how many miles is too many miles? :confused:

thanks!
kevin :D
oh yea any one want a 78 pontiac grand prix? :D

stokernick
09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Kevin,I have a 98 Rav4,131000 miles,and other than two sets of tires and a couple sensors[$240],it's been bullet proof.The V6 definitely has more grunt,but my little 4 cyl has served its purpose.I dragged my Stoker to upstate N.Y. from Michigan and tow it where ever!!I've had no rust issues and still have the original battery[with -30* weather].I think you'll be happy.;) :D :)

baja200merk
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
oh yea i belive you they are awsome trucks... i have been looking around for 2 weeks and everything i saw had 200000 miles on it! the lowest beeing 98000 i was like thats really high! now after seeing all the 200000 mile trucks im like 140000 thats new lol

kevin

Pro300x24LD
09-21-2005, 07:53 PM
the v6's run pretty good, the drivetrains will last forever, is it a stick or an auto? the transfer case behind the autos was not as desireable as the transfer behind the manual. The 4 cylinders last longer but need timing chains ever 100-150,000 miles. I can't remember how often on the 3.0

The 6's have no power, even compared to the 4's. Toyota trucks do NOT like to be revv'd Keep it under 5500 rpm and it should last a lifetime. I have rebuilt a couple, amazing how close to factory specs they still maintain with 100's of thousands of miles on em

baja200merk
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
how much more power is the 6 than the 4?

its a 5 spd!

kevin

Ted Stryker
09-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I used to deliver automotive parts in a 1993 Toyota 5-speed/4 cyl.... It had 360,000 miles on it and had been a delivery truck ( ALL IN TOWN )for 6 years back then in 2000... Driven by every youngster delivery driver that tried to over rev it to chirp every gear change time and time again... The oil got changed --- uummmm whenever..?? I drove it to the scrap yard one time with a bed full of junk heads.. In case your wondering, it was a payload of 2100+ lbs... That was the only time that I drove it when it was loaded that way, but the truck had done it many times... Toyota don't screw around when it come to durability and reliability... There not indestructable, but that Toyota was still notably tighter than the other delivery truck that was a 185,000 Ford Ranger that got used under the same conditions... Brakes, steering, doors, clutch, mechanical noise etc...

baja200merk
09-22-2005, 10:10 AM
this is the truck im looking at. it had some rust above the fenders but that was fixed and there are some dings in the tail gate but im going to be kickin the truck around off road, towing people out of the sand and stuff so im not worried bout it.. but i do have to take it 3 hrs up state some times so i am debating...

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=188733088&dealer_id=56106604&car_year=1993&num_records=100&search_type=used&make=TOYOTA&model=PICKUP&transmission=Manual&distance=300&address=11697&advanced=&certified=&max_price=6000&bkms=1127401989858&sort_type=mileageASC&min_price=100&end_year=1995&color=BLACK&start_year=1990&color3=&drive=4+wheel+drive&color2=&isp=y&engine=&lang=&cardist=185

kevin

baja200merk
09-26-2005, 06:44 PM
i have found a truck thats 2 mins from my house. its got a 5spd 4cyl 2.7 its a 98 and has 230000 mi on it. the motor is re done 30000 ago but im wondering if i will run into bigger problems tranny? transfercase? axels? down the road?
what goes next?

too many miles?
kevin

Ron V
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I think the timing chain is only on certain motors now. The maintenance schedule is out in my glove box but the 2.7 VVT-i in my '05 Tacoma is not listed as needing the chain replaced at any time. There are one or two motors on the new ones that do (I think they are in the SUV's). The older ones might have been different.

All I can say is I love the '05 Tacoma with the 2.7 four-banger. It is a torquer, like a miniature diesel or an old Chevy six. The newer ones like mine have the variable intake valve timing (hence the VVT-i designation), and that lowered the torque curve a little bit. As for the revs, it'll go if you wind it out, but in everyday driving you never have to get it over about 2 grand with the four speed automatic anyway. The older Toyotas are what built them their reputation, aside from the rust I think you're looking at a great truck. I see a lot more old Toyotas (I'm talking from the 80s) on the road than I see Chevys or Fords from that era, and I live where they salt the roads! Nothing in this world is perfect, but Toyota didn't get to where they are by building junk. All you have to do is look under the hood at the layout, even things like the way the hose clamps are installed, and you can tell it was put together by a company and workforce that actually gives a crap.

I just pulled my Rapid Craft (~2000 lbs. boat, motor, trailer) to southern Illinois and back and averaged 20 mpgs for the trip, with the bed loaded with tools and camping gear. 23-24 back and forth to work, haven't had it on the highway empty with the gate off yet, but I'd place money on 26-27....

gfinch
10-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I've been a Toyota mechanic since 1972. Worked in dealerships till 1985. Opened my own shop. I work on 99.9% Toyota / Lexus. So I can say I've worked on a few in my life time.

Stay far away from the early V6 in the trucks, 3.0 . 3VZE

The head gasket has gone thru many, many design changes, to attempt to stop them from blowing on #6 and #1 cylinders. In my opinion it is a design flaw in the block, uneven clamping force due to the block design.
If a customer calls to have a check over before purchase and they say a 3.0 V6 my answer is NO you do not want this engine. The smart ones listen, the others .........

They should have used a zipper instead of head bolts!!!!!!!!!

The 22R / 22RE have been very good , but there all elderly now. Engine family change when the tacoma came out.
The 5VZE is OK but I have seen the heads crack between the valve seats on a few. The Tacoma 4 cyl. engine is also in the Previa laid over on its side. Ive seen a couple of thesewith cracked heads also. All these motors are good, just a very few have showed up with cracks.

Hope this helps, In my opinion a car/truck with a 1/4 million miles is USED UP.

Gary

the old grease monkey

baja200merk
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
ok will stay away from the 6... but will have to go with the rebuilt 250000mile 98 tacoma...

thanks
kevin

OntarioStreamin
10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I have two Toyotas sitting in my driveway!
1- A 1985 4runner 4x4 with 530,000KM, 5spd, 4cyl.

2- A 1989 sr5 pick-up 3.0 6cyl ext cab, raised 4" with 33" off road tires and 200,000kms.

I have to get rid of them because I have a new truck and there isn't enough room for 3 trucks and a boat.

I've been asking $2500CAN for both!

gfinch
10-07-2005, 08:03 PM
To clarify my statement " At 250,000 miles it is used up." The cars and trucks will go much further but at more $$$. I'm stupid in this business because I tell my customers to get new cars before spending $$$ for large repairs on old cars.

I also don't like to hear them whining. :(

"But I just had the headgasket replaced, if I would have known the transmission was going to go out I would have bought a new/newer car." :mad:

I use this story. "You are 80 years old. You have a bad heart, you get the heart from an 8 year old. My question to you is, how old are you."

I'm not saying not to, but, realize it's not going to be maintanance, it's going to be maintanance and repair.

Also in my state California, "the land of fruits and nuts", To register a car, every other year it will have to pass a smog test.

Take all this with a grain of salt, from an old grease monkey.

Gary
33 years and counting Toyota experance.

p.s. on a lighter note. In the car biz there are many sayings.
One is: :D :D Theres an ass for every seat. :D :D

baja200merk
10-07-2005, 10:59 PM
repair... i am not really worried about it, its got a new motor... even if i have to put 2 new trannys in it id still be ahead of the game! a 92 just sold on ebay for 3440 and it had antifreeze in the catilitic conveter!!!

kevin

JW
10-08-2005, 03:04 PM
The 3.0 in the truck was weak and a gas hog. If you can find a newer one with the 3.4, then you've got a little powerhouse with decent gas mileage. The 4 cylinders are all good, but you have to get the speed up before climbing a hill on a highway if you're towing a boat.

4 cylinder: Get the 5-speed
3.4 V6: Get the automatic

baja200merk
10-08-2005, 03:14 PM
yea looks like im goin with a 98 tacoma 2.7 4cyl 5spd with 230000 miles... only 30000 miles on new motor and clutch... i know the owner and he owns a shop so if i have any problems with it i have access to help/any tools i need... hes selling it to me for 1800 and the only problem with the truck is the drivers seat is worn and the rear left spring is messed up (doesnt matter cause i m puttin 3in suspension lift on it before i leave his shop..) comes with new 31x9.5 bfgoodrich allterrains t/a's on the stock rims... ton of miles but wut ever for wat im going to do to it; lift 33x12.5s winch bumpers 9000lb warn stashed in the front and eventually a trd supercharger... it will be good for a few years i will have to keep it forever cause no one is gonna touch it wit all them miles on it...
kevin

scfireman
10-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Ill have to disagree with most of the post here. i just had my 1992 ext. cab 3.0 v6 toyota on here for sale. Baja200merc wanted it. it had 240,000 miles on it, ran like it was brand new, and never had the head gasket problems. I pulled a boat with it every weekend even with 6 inches of lift and 35" Xterrains. gotta make sure you regear the diffs if you are going to lift them. Needless to say I am a true Toyota believer! :D

baja200merk
10-08-2005, 08:04 PM
410s should be good for 32-33x 12.5 no?

JW
11-27-2005, 07:59 AM
1992 Extracab 4X4 Pickup with the 2.4 and 5 spd stick (bought used)
1995 1/2 T100 Extracab 4X4 with the 3.4 and 4sp automatic (bought used)
Just got: 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 DoubleCab TRD 4X4 4.7 V8 with 5sp auto (leased new)

http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/9497/tundra006s6pz.jpg

In between the 1995 1/2 Toyota T100 and the current truck, I had a '99 Chevy 3-door extracab Z71, a '01 4-door extracab Z71, a '04 Avalanche Z71, all new with the '99 being a lease.

So I've had 3 Toyota trucks and 3 Chevy Trucks. Loved them all, and had very few problems with them all. All have been great reliable vehicles. Looking at my list of trucks, I think I have a problem :(

baja200merk
11-27-2005, 10:49 AM
nice fleet! im gettin the 98 at a real good price cause its coming from a friends shop and i knew the original owner... an older guy that drove it 90 miles a day. the trucks in good shape... a 99 4cyl engine and tranny just sold for 490.00 on ebay... it only had 60000 on it, i shoulda bought it and threw it in my basement for a spare... does any one know what it takes to pull the 4 cyl and mount say a trd 3.4 6cyl up to the 5 spd? just in case it lets go in the next 100000 miles...

look at miles year and bidding/ time left
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4592446688&fromMakeTrack=true

im gettin the same truck 10yrs newer with 230000 (30000 on new motor) in black :D for 2k

kevin

DDiesel
02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Toyotas are a great vehicle. i have several. 2 88 ex cabs. 2 88 4runner. 1 93 4 runner. and several i bought wrecked for parts:). my 88 4 runner has a 90 chevy 4.3 tbi with a th350 coupled to the stock transfer, putting out a measily 225. i am building a 4.3 stroker carbed motor right now for the other one that should put out around 350. you cant beat a toyota even when it comes to overpowering them.

baja200merk
02-28-2006, 10:35 PM
350 hp should = 4wd burnouts no? :D

i ended up buying an 89 with a 22re, 225k and a rod knock, pulled the motor last monday put a new crank and all new bearings, rings in it. got it bolted back in the truck today and im in the process of hooking stuff back up now...

i figured out that the rod bearings went because the old broken timing chain guides fell into the oil pan and sufficated the oil sump. pulled a hand full of plastic + masterlink to the timing chain out of the motor, i guess the guy replaced the chain and never cleaned the oil pan out... i got it for 1000 bucks and the body and bed is in pretty good shape so if this motor stays together i should be good.

gfinch
03-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Those timing chain guides, ect. shouldn't fit thru the oil pick up screen, pump, much less get thru the oil filter to the bearings. Usually two things water in oil=head gasket bad for looooong time or some one thinks oil lasts forever=never burns or leaks out.
Hey I have a complete manafold and duel side draft Webber set up for a 22R, sure would like to sell it to some one who will use it. I'll take a pic and post it here.

DDiesel
03-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Actually the 88 4runner with the tbi came to me with a rattle. it would crank fine but after 5 mins of running the lifters would start to rattle. i asked old boy if he had put a chain and guides on it. he had. the suction strainer was cloggin up with plastic from the guides. if you ever replace the chain on a 22r and the guides are broke pull the pan. On a side note if you are running a 22r carb and want more juice put on a 22re FI head with the carb intake then get you an adapter to mount a edelbrock or holley 650 to the toyota intake. they make stroker kits for 22r, big bore kits. mikuni carb swap kits. If anybody wants to put a 4.3 Tbi in a yota i got a spare standalone harness for the swap. if your running a straight axle swap or at least a five inch suspension lift you can put a 02 or newer SFI vortec motor in for sum umph with fuel mileage. but those have a cast aluminum pan and wont clear without a lift.

baja200merk
03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
the suction strainer was cloggin up with plastic from the guides. if you ever replace the chain on a 22r and the guides are broke pull the pan.

figured out that the rod bearings went because the old broken timing chain guides fell into the oil pan and sufficated the oil sump. pulled a hand full of plastic + masterlink to the timing chain out of the motor, i guess the guy replaced the chain and never cleaned the oil pan out...

thats what i meant the suction strainer (oil sump ;) ) in the oil pan was burried in broken timing chain guides :o . the plastic was blocking the oil from getting into the oil pickup. this lack of oil to rod bearings and mains is what killed them :rolleyes: .
when i bought the truck it had a new timing chain but the guy never cleaned out the pan :rolleyes: so once the bearings were starved for a while they scored the crap outta the crank.
so over the last week i pulled the motor replaced the crank and all new bearings cleaned the stuff inside up put it together put it back in the truck yesterday gotta start getting stuff hooked up today after school :cool:

i have the stock 22re now, no intrest in changin it to carb, was about to get a header because i have an exhaust leak but i'm gonna fix the leak in stead of getting the headder...

i got a question for you, after the rebuild how do you recomend i prime the oil system in the motor? some people say pull the coil wire and crank it till you see oil pressure, the book says get a oil system primer :eek: what do you think?

thanks
kevin

DDiesel
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
When you built the bottom end did you use lubriplate or some other assembly lube on all your bearings? if yes you can pull the coil wire and roll it over a bit. if no then you want to use a lectric preluber.

playin boats
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
pulls what i need it to!

and looks good doin it.

Ken

baja200merk
03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
When you built the bottom end did you use lubriplate or some other assembly lube on all your bearings? if yes you can pull the coil wire and roll it over a bit. if no then you want to use a lectric preluber.
only used mobile one while putting it together, thats what the book said to use :confused: where can i get an electric preluber? expensive :eek: ?

thanks
kevin

QUICKSILVER
03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Toyotas are tuff vehicles, thin skinned and the rust works on the bodys. Please excuse me if I am repeating anything that was already posted. My alzhimers kicks in about now. I think someone already said this, head gaskets, and the heads themselves were a problem on some V6 models, also they got the fuel milage of a smog monster, 1974 big block dually Chevy. I try to buy American made, or owned anyway, but Toyota makes some pretty good stuff, just do your homework before buying.

gfinch
03-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Make sure you don't forget the gasket on the strainer/oil pick up. Pull the spark plugs out, ground the coil wire and spin it. You will hear the change in sound when the oil pressure builds up then the idoit light blinks out. Put the plugs back in, coil wire in . Fire it. If it doesn't fire right off or starts and runs slow you probably stabbed the dist. off a tooth.
On another note make dam sure ALL the ground wires are sound. That one at the battery to the fender well, you know the one that one that holds the battery in place:eek: thats the one that usually is why cylinder heads get eaten up.

I've learned and forgotten a few things working on Toyota's since 1972. Still learning and forgetting.

"Never time to do it right, but always time to do it over".

DDiesel
03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
To add to what GFINCH Said. if yours has the ground cable from the TOP of the valve cover to the firewall make sure you put it back. Hunting and electrical problem allday cause somebody forgot to hook up one of the grounds can be a pain. remember battery to frame battery to Cab, engine to frame and cab on your grounds.

gfinch
03-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Yep, ALL!

baja200merk
03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
i got the ground that goes from the battery to the engine, and the one that goes from the fire wall to the back of the valve cover but i didnt see any others? am i definatally missing the others?

thanks
kevin

gfinch
03-05-2006, 12:13 AM
There are ground wires from battery negative to the fender well. to the engine , to the firewall from rear of cylinder head. At the power steering mount to the coil/ignitor.

baja200merk
03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
ok thanks

76baja18ft
03-24-2006, 11:48 PM
thats what i meant the suction strainer (oil sump ;) ) in the oil pan was burried in broken timing chain guides :o . the plastic was blocking the oil from getting into the oil pickup. this lack of oil to rod bearings and mains is what killed them :rolleyes: .
when i bought the truck it had a new timing chain but the guy never cleaned out the pan :rolleyes: so once the bearings were starved for a while they scored the crap outta the crank.
so over the last week i pulled the motor replaced the crank and all new bearings cleaned the stuff inside up put it together put it back in the truck yesterday gotta start getting stuff hooked up today after school :cool:

i have the stock 22re now, no intrest in changin it to carb, was about to get a header because i have an exhaust leak but i'm gonna fix the leak in stead of getting the headder...

i got a question for you, after the rebuild how do you recomend i prime the oil system in the motor? some people say pull the coil wire and crank it till you see oil pressure, the book says get a oil system primer :eek: what do you think?

thanks
kevin

Did you replace the connecting rods?..or have them rebuilt?.. if not u are asking for problems

Knjhn
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Say away from those 3.0V6's, its designated the 3VZ. These things blow headgaskets regularly like every 60K miles or so. They also tend to burn exhaust valves. The 3.4 used from 1996 and up has 50 or so more horsepower, gobbs more torque and no headgasket problems. I use a '96 Tacoma SR5 V6 Xcab with Man trans to tow my 23 Checkmate, does OK
too. Check my website in a couple weeks, Ive done 3 3.0 V6 Headgasket jobs this year alone and will be posting pics of some of the operation in the gallery at www.autoserviceurbana,com (http://www.autoserviceurbana,com)

baja200merk
05-17-2006, 06:17 AM
yea they recalled a ton of them and gave out a different head gasket that was suppose to fix the problem... i have a 22re :D

kevin

Knjhn
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Dont' count on it being a fix. One of the ones I just got done had the "updated" gaskets. Also the deck of the block gets pitted and corroded on most of them too which means they need to be "decked" and if you do that your piston height will be too high! Its a mess.

gfinch
05-17-2006, 11:37 PM
The 3VZE head gasket problem will always be until the last one is in the bone yard. Toyota Revised the gasket probably 12 times. I had one where the engine was remanufactured and the block deck and passenger side head were decked enough that the timing belt tensioner wouldn't piviot. Was done at the dealer. When the toy tech moron air wrenched the bolt home, the tensioner was caulked at an angle which forced the belt to run against the cover. It lasted 20k. Wasn't anything I could do but drill the piviot hole larger so it would lie flat.

Knlhn are you a member of IATN, if not you should check it out.

Full time Grease Monkey since 1972. 1972 to 1985 in dealerships. 1985 to present Owner,service writer, mechanic, cashier, telephone operator................floor mopper, toilet cleaner at Asian Auto Toyota/Lexus specialist.

Knjhn
05-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I"m not a member of IATN, but i will check it out...
I started gettin' greasy in 77 then GM Dealers from 80 to 86. Then to the big city of Bethesda and on up to Rockville. There theres lotsa Eurostuff and high end Jap and American. Since 2003 I too wear all the hats in my shop, small but nice hole in the wall. I stick to Asian/American now as I have a deal with the Euro only shop next to my shop. I get their jap/American they get my Euro.
The Website hat fell off my head though so I havent updated it yet this year and it shows cuz my specials are out of season!!! Tried to upload Toyota stuff but cant get it working... the Host has been notified and I'm waiting for a response. www.autoserviceurbana.com (http://www.autoserviceurbana.com)

Ken

gfinch
05-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Make sure you check it out. Lots of info in many forums.

Gee! "You can go on vacation any time you want". Sorry I had to say that.