PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running an amp and a MP3 player WITHOUT a headunit?

dma251
09-11-2005, 06:09 AM
I know I read in here somewhere about somebody using just an amplifier and a small pocket style mp3 player with a headphone/rca adapter plug so they didn't have to run the head unit.

I've got a limited amount of console space and much of the time I am not at all interested in using a radio. I would like to clean up my boat a bit by just settin gup a small 4x50 watt amp and using the mp3 player.

Would that work okay?

at100plus
09-11-2005, 06:54 AM
I don't see why not. Does the MP3 player have an output for stereo RCA out?

dma251
09-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Most just have a headphone jack. Why couldn't you just get one of the radio shack adapter cables that split the headphone jack into a pair of RCA's? I know you wouldn't have tone control, but I'm not really picky. I just want some tunes without the deck.

Rickracer
09-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Just be sure you add a switch for your remote wire on the amp, don't power it from battery or ignition. I'm sure your MP3 player will not have a remote trigger wire like most head units do. Best bet would be to take power from ignition through a cutoff switch to the remote terminal on the amp. That way, you can shut off the amp whenever you want, or it will go off when you turn off the key. If you use a DPDT on-off-on switch, you could go with batt. on one side and ign. on the other. That way you wouldn't have to turn the key on to listen, you could switch it to batt. power. For key controlled, use the ign. position. :cool:

ShorePounder
09-11-2005, 03:42 PM
While it may physically connect via adapter cables and whatnot, and may even produce sound when powered up, there's a chance the audio quality will be pure crap.

The RCA inputs on consumer amplifiers are set up for a line level signal. Line level is barely audible through a speaker without amplification. Coming out of an MP3 player or any other portable device's headphone jack is speaker level audio, which has a signifiantly higher level. While it may sound good at very low volume from the MP3 player, as volume(level) rises, you'll push the front end of the amp into saturation and ultimately overdrive. Overdrive is great if you've got a Les Paul hanging from your neck and you're feeding a Marshall stack. Overdrive creates distortion, not what you want in your home audio system.

pyro
09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
He's right, when we're talking about HI-FI goods. But, in this case you won't have any problem with distortion. Many of today's amps are expecting 5 VOLT line signals from the head unit, as these "hot" signals have become a popular standard for car audio equipment to reduce signal/noise ratio. I highly doubt that you will encounter any distortion noise, since your MP3 player is not even capable of producing over 3 volts of signal output peak to peak.

Go to a good "local" music store that sells recording equipment and such (not a mega-store) and ask for an "1/8 inch TRS to 2-RCA insert cable." This will be a patch cable that takes the TIP and RING contacts at the "headphone" end and splits them into separate "left" and "right" RCA plugs with a common ground connection to the RING contact. DO NOT use any stupid adapters or you WILL encounter trouble! Get the right cable for the job, it will cost you less than $10. If the shop screws you around, I will SHIP one to you from our shop for $15. No joke. This is simple.

-Chad

ianz
09-14-2005, 03:38 PM
this does work, and it works well

I have used my iPod though a Sony Crossover powering 4 speakers through a quad amp and a single sub from a bridged amp. The quality is great, not quite as good as a CD from the Sony head unit but very close. With this crossover I was able to tune the balance between, front, rear and sub. The iPod is just connected with a good quality 1/8 plug to RCA's

Now I relaced the crossover with a deck with an Aux input and remote control, this just works better for switching between CD Tuner and the iPod.

IZ

2fast4mom
09-16-2005, 10:29 PM
The post from ShorePounder is the closest to accurately identifying the problem that I have seen on this thread, regarding the powering of line-level amplifiers from an iPod or similar MP3 player.

iPod's do not have a precise impedance match nor an adequate RMS voltage output to drive an amplifier to rated power.

The solution may be as simple as the aftermarket Belden "cigarette lighter" amplifier that plugs into the flat edge connector at the bottom of the iPod.

I have been using this device with excellent results to power a Rockford amplifier, with an iPod. The sound quality and level of power is equivalent to a CD head unit.

TTriton
09-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I did what you are talking about in high school.. But then I was using a portable CD player plugged into crossover then to a Fosgate Amp and two 15 woofers and a smaller amp and my 4 mids with highs.