PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 25hp engine recomendations

gronski
09-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I hope this is the right area to post this question, this is my first post...

I have just purchased a 10' Dux tender that I would like to put a 25hp (that is the mfg. max rated hp) on. I am VERY Green when it comes to the topic of outboards, so I am looking for your expert opinions. Here is a list of what I'm looking for:

Needs:
Lightweight - I'd like to be able to carry the thing myself so around 100lbs would be good, less would be GREAT
Be able to lay on its side during transport
Reliability
Tiller steering

Wants:
Ability to charge battery for running lights, etc.

Not sure if its a good idea but open to suggestions:
Electric start - won't it add weight?
Stock - ie: no performance mods

Based on my first two "needs" I'm told that a 2 stroke is the way to go, much lighter than four strokes, and you can just run them dry and lay them on thier sides to carry.

I would not actually be racing, but I do like speed. As far as I know I would only be running in fresh water.

So what engine would you recommend?
Chris

MattGreen
09-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Although I guess I'm somewhat biased, the 2 cylinder Johnson/Evinrude 20/25/30, made until recently, are practically indestructable and plentiful. Get a later model unit with the front-mounted shifter and avoid the UFI (under flywheel) powerpack years.
Battery charging can be easily added to this motor (weight gain negligable), as well as electric starting (weight gain considerable). One thing to think about with any of these size engines is who will be starting it - kids or average size women will have difficulty rope-starting motors of this size, the J/E's in particular. I think they weight around 100 pounds; I'm not a big guy and carry them around daily without much difficulty.
Also look at the Yamaha 2-strokes in this size range - very good too.

Matt

Scream And Fly
09-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I'll agree with Matt on the Johnson/Evinrude 20/25/30 horsepower two-stroke engines. They are proven, having been a design run for over 25 years. I've used many of those, and they have tons of low-end power. I understand they were also unstoppable in the mini Grand-Prix classes where they used 25 horsepower engines on small tunnel boats. They are extremely reliable, too.

I also have a new Mercury 25 two-stroke and I think it seems like a good engine, and it has a lot of power. I have not owned it long enough to know how reliable it will be though. :) I would say the OMC has more bottom end torque, however.

Greg

gronski
09-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Get a later model unit with the front-mounted shifter and avoid the UFI (under flywheel) powerpack years.

One thing to think about with any of these size engines is who will be starting it - kids or average size women will have difficulty rope-starting motors of this size, the J/E's in particular.
Matt

How does one tell if an engine is UFI / powerpack? Was there a particular year range for these?

I would be the one starting it. I'm a 37 year old male and while I'm no weightlifter, I'm in decent shape overall (and was planning on lugging the 100lb motor myself if that says anything).

Chris

Dave S
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
How about a 1949 KG9...??? it was rated at 25 hp and is about 100 lbs....It can run...... if ya put new points in it and get the carbs to stop leaking....but it will leak as much oil as a 4 stroke when ya lay it down.... I guess it's not a good choice.... :p But they are cool. ;)

gronski
10-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi All,

I bought a 2-stroke 1996 Yamaha 25hp, tiller steering, 15" shaft, electric start outboard with oil injection and a charging system. $1300 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Chris