PDA

View Full Version : Noob without a clue....

waynaferd
09-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey all, finally found a decent forum after searching forever. Anyway, I just bought a mid-80's 21' Hawaiian jet boat from my buddy, and need some general boat rebuilding info.....

First off, I have talked to the guys at jetboatperformance.com and they are hooking me up with an all new Berkely drive 12JI(?) this winter. My boat has a mid-80's (guessing by the valve covers) 350 Chevy. The 4x4 lumber that its mounted to is rotten on the ends.

I want to rebuild the 350 with a 383 stroker, but am not sure about going about replacing the beams. Is there any certain fiberglass and resin kits to use, or would just regular automotive stuff at Wal-Mart work? And should I run an extra support between the two beams to handle the extra power of the motor?

Also, jetboatperformance told me to build the motor's power range from 2,000-5,000 rpm. Would that be good? I plan on a tunnel ram and a pair of 600 cfm carbs, but don't know if they should be vaccuum or machanical secondaries. And, and and, can I run regular upswept drag headers or do I need water-injected boat headers?

I plan on just playing around the lakes with this boat, and hauling a tube and skiiers around. So no competition or nothing.

Oh yeah, and this was originally a jet boat, but it has been refitted with a stern drive, but they keep blowing apart. This would make the 4th drive in 3 years if I replaced it, but i'm going back to jet.

And anyone know where to find any info about this boat? Its made by Hawwaiin Boats in Huntington, CA, but I can't dig up anything.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

1BadAction
09-07-2005, 12:50 PM
The 4x4 lumber that its mounted to is rotten on the ends.
...but am not sure about going about replacing the beams. Is there any certain fiberglass and resin kits to use, or would just regular automotive stuff at Wal-Mart work? And should I run an extra support between the two beams to handle the extra power of the motor?

Make sure to use the correct MARINE lumber for that application. Also, for resin, use GP marine resin at minimum, I would use a vinylester of some sort. www.fiberlay.com is a good source of information on what to use. if you can fit an extra support- go for it. whatever you do, stay away from the wal-mart stuff.

Unchained
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I would suggest that before you start down the repair / rebuild path that you carefully add up all the repair parts cost as well as your time. That goes for the trailer too.
With old jet boats it is extremely common to put significant money into upgrading and have it not add much or anything to the value of the finished boat. Especially one with a small block. Most everyone wants big blocks.
That big of a boat with a small block will probably top out at 45 - 50 mph.
Is that sufficient for you?
What type of pump was in the boat?
Boats with E type insert pumps are a lot less desireable.

After you come up with a number of all the repairs see what you can get for that much in a boat that needs nothing or very little. I've seen some pretty nice turnkey boats with big blocks go for $ 5k - 6k
The parts you mentioned will probably add up to at least 1/2 that.

There's a lot more jet boat info on www.hotboat.com than on this site.
There are mostly outboards on this site.

Good luck

waynaferd
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
2 summers ago me and my friend and both our girlfriends where out in this boat, and with the OMC stern drive and all 4 of us we had the speedo right around 62-63 mph. He claims 75 by himself, but I think we were at the limit. The boat itself is in pretty good shape, save for the ends of the beams being rotted. About 3 inches on either end is mushy, but the rest feels and looks solid. And the trailer is worth more than the $500 I paid for the boat. Tires are good with no rot, the aluminum rims still shine, and the bunks/rollers look like new, the bearings are good and all the lights work fine.

But I see what you're saying about getting a turn-key BB powered boat, but I figured $3k for the jet pump, and around $2k to build the motor, plus a few hundred to put new vinyl on the seats and replace the beams, for less than $6k I'll have a boat exactly how I want, plus I like being able to say I built it, not bought it. And my friend I bought this from is painting the boat and my Ramcharger for free, so I think I'll be better off in the long run tinkering on this one.

Thanks for that link, there is some good info there. And thanks for all the other advice, too!!!

BUSHWACKER
10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
the price of gas, 1 4 bbl will work fine for what ur going to do. IMHO :)

Riverratt
10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I would be willing to bet that the actual speed on gps was no more than 55mph. Even with all of the motor upgrades you still more than likely wont get over 60 on gps.

triple dude
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Riverratt is probably pretty close. My stock 454 (330HP) Advantage 21 foot bowrider will see 60mph on a GOOD day. Usually, it's closer to 55mph.

kubelwagonman
10-23-2005, 08:49 AM
i cann assure yu with a small block and lots a mods yu wont run 55...my 18ft taylor with a slightly modded 460 w 429 heads runs 65 on a good day with a a/b impeller at 5100......also id sure like to meet yur upholstery guy who'll do yur seats fer a "couple a hundred" more like a couple a thousand!