PDA

View Full Version : Prop Suggestions Trophy?

Jsteve29
08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
I have a 81 Hydrostream Viking with 81 175hp mercury with an unknown pitch aluminum prop. I would like to get a stainless steel prop that would be a good all around performance prop. After looking at various post I believe a trophy would give me what I want since it will be just my wife and I in the boat about 50% of time with 2 more riders the other time. I won't use it to pull a skier, but I might pull a tuber. My question is, is this the right prop, and if so what is the difference between a Trophy and Trophy Plus and what pitch should I get?

pyro
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Trophy = full sized hub, rather uncommon.

Trophy Plus = small hub with vent plugs, more common.

David
09-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I'd start with 24"

That's what I have on my 150XR4/Allison as my base prop for similar use.

Jsteve29
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Pyro,

Which trophy is better for speed full size or small hub?

pyro
09-02-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure. I heard somewhere that the original Trophy is an awesome prop on certain boats, but the blades are thinner and break easily.

I would have to think you could turn a 26, but hard to tell till you try it.

I work at Music Go Round in Oak Valley Centre at Ann Arbor-Saline Rd and I-94, it's the strip mall with Target, stop by and say hello sometime.

-Chad

Jsteve29
09-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks, I'll have to get over there and say hi.

blkmtrfan
09-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Trophy vs. Trophy Plus.

I have one of each both the same pitch, my trophy is one of the later versions (A45 I believe) so it has the vent holes and the Flo-Torq Hub.

I run them both with all of the plugs out, but use a sealing ring on the plus to reduce out of the hole cavitation, however the original trophy still has a much better hole shot.

I also believe the original handles better (better grip in the corners and rough water). The original als seems to grab better in acceleration, but the trophy plus has more bow lift at the upper end and seems to be a 1mph or 2 faster on the top.

I plan to do more testing, but as of right now I think I like the original better on my hull (you results may vary :D )

Jsteve29
09-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks, it sounds like the regular trophy is what I am after to help me in the turns since I'm new to this boat and outboards. I am looking at a 25 pitch with the regular hub, do you think this would work or is it too much pitch?

blkmtrfan
09-02-2005, 01:18 PM
That may be a little too much pitch for a 175, Pryo may have a better idea as he runs a 200.

Also I do want to add that our hulls are very different, yours being much smaller and lighter and perhaps the plus will work better for you :confused:

Either way, it nerver hurts to try any prop you can get you hands on, and you can always resell one you may buy, check the prop section here and don't forget about e-bay, always quite a few trophys for sale on there ;)