PDA

View Full Version : running a left hand sportmaster right handed

2.5-21
05-20-2001, 06:58 PM
what needs to be done if anything to run a left hand sportmaster on a right handed engine w/ a right hand prop?

Techno
05-20-2001, 07:58 PM
I think it has to be rebuilt to be right hand. The shaft is rigged to take the load the other way.

Arizona Hotboater
05-21-2001, 01:00 AM
Techno is correct. You would have to put it in reverse to go forward with a RH prop, and the unit wasnt intended to take that torque in that manner. It will come apart. How do I know? I used to have a Left hand rotation, old merc inline 6. It was a non shifting type that went into reverse by running the motor backwards. I inquired about getting a rt hand prop and running it in reverse to go forward. I was shown a counter rotating gearcase that someone had tried it on. It was grenaded. You will have to have it rebuilt to turn right hand, or get a LH prop for it.

AZH

Raceman
05-21-2001, 07:34 AM
There are some Merc gearcases that can be run this way. Unfortunately the sportmaster/cle type isn't one of them. A bravo can be run in either direction.

MERCMAN
05-21-2001, 01:21 PM
YES IF YOU RUN THE LEFT HANDED PROP , NO IF YOU INTEND TO RUN IT RIGHT HANDED. YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE GEARSET , CARRIER , PROPSHAFT AND NEW BEARINGS AS WELL. IT WOULDNT BE WORTH IT TO REBUILD IT THE PROPER WAY UNLESS YOU GOT AN AWESOME DEAL ON THE GEARCASE. (700.00 OR BELOW) I MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING YOU CAN USE AFTER THIS WEEKEND. EMAIL ME AT JWSAV@AOL.COM