PDA

View Full Version : 225 sport vs.250xs

drasticplastic
08-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm looking for info/opinions on these two motors. Info like does the 250 have solid mounts? etc.. The motor is going on a 21' mod-vp tunnel hull, and solid mounts are ness.. Also what type of speed do you think these motors would produce?. Gear ratio of 1.62 or 1.75? etc.. Thanks for your help.

jimmyb
08-31-2005, 08:38 AM
both motors have solid mounts. The 250XS will be faster

gear ratio depends on the speed and props that you are going to be running

drasticplastic
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Jimmy, thanks for the info.. I ordered a "06" 250xs last friday. It should be here in about 2 weeks. Ordered it with sportmaster gear case with 1.75 gears.

SUPAJAY
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
The 225 sport is a 2.5

stoker2001
08-31-2005, 11:18 PM
2005 Stoker tunnel 22'4"so far have used a 24" bravo1 fourblade with 1.62 sportmaster with light fuel load and have seen 74mph on GPS in 95 degree air.will test tommorow in good air with 26 et lightnin.

C-C
09-01-2005, 10:21 AM
The Only 2.5 Mercury Is Making Is The 200xs

The 250xs, 225 Proxs, And The Optimax 225 Sport Are All 3.0 (185 Cu. In.)

Not 2.5

I Know The 150 And 175 Opimax Are 2.5.

1BadAction
09-01-2005, 10:26 AM
they make a 2.5 XS also. 230ish HP

Massbasser
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Are they offering the 2.5XS in 2006, I heard it's kind of a turd. The difference between the 225XS Pro Sport and 250XS is about 25 HP and less than $1000. Good choice on going with the 250XS, which for 2006 runs on 87 octane, as well as the 225XS Pro Sport. :D

jimmyb
09-01-2005, 11:52 AM
250XS = 3.0L opti, sold thru racing

225 proXS= 3.0L opti (torquemaster, rubber mounts) sold thru "mother" merc

225 sportXS= same powerhead as 225 proXS, but solid mounts and 1.62 sport, sold thru merc racing

2.5XS= 2.5L opti, solid mounts, uses 3.0L driveshaft housing and gearcase, sold thru merc racing

hope this clears up some confusion

drasticplastic
09-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys. Stoker you will have to keep us informed on your testing results. What made you go with the 1.62 gears?. The hull i'm going to use the 250 on is a 21' daytona.

JJB
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
JimmyB,
Not to hijack this thread but..........with the gas prices going up astronomically is there anyway to convert the 2003 250xs to burn/run on 87 octane?

Drastic you'll love the 250xs they are fantastic engines...I've got a pair that push my 29 Lightning (v hull) over 82mph and that’s running non-labbed 30" Bravo props.

JJB

Massbasser
09-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I wonder if 2006 heads would allow you too...don't try it without asking someone who knows, but I wonder. :confused:

jimmyb
09-02-2005, 08:36 AM
unfortunately, there is engine calibration changes that is required to burn the 87 octane, so that means an ECU change. I dont think merc will sell you an ecu with the 2006 calibration (unless you have a serial number from a 2006 motor and a failed ECU). EPA forces strict control of emissions related components. Even if you could get a 2006 ECU, the cost would be very high and you would have to burn a BUNCH of gas to pay for the ECU... so burn your 91+ octane and be happy you have one of the most fuel efficient outboards out there :)

C-C
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
im asuming we are talking about 2006 motors,,, the only 2.5 merc is the 200xs,,, all the others are 3.0,,, and no more 2.5sport ....... hope this clears up the confusion

ONE MORE TIME:

OPTIMAX 200XS----2.5
OPTIMAX 225 SPORTXS----3.0
OPTIMAX 250XS-----3.0

225 PRO XS-----3.0

hdtwncam88
09-02-2005, 09:16 PM
fuel efficent ? my I/O's were more fuel efficent then my 2003 300x's. 5000 rpms, 1.62's, 15x32 3 blade i'm burning 17-18 gals an hour...at 6400 rpms i'm burning 36-37 gals an hour. oh yeah i have a pair of them hangin off the back of a 30 spectre. so multiply those figures times 2.

JJB
09-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Twin,
You can't compare a 250xs with a 300x for fuel economy. My twin 250XS's burn approximately 6-9 gals per hour per engine between 2500 and 4000 rpms (varing on weight load), but when you go WOT thats a different story...at 5500rpms and above I'm burning close to 30gals a hour "per engine". From what I know about my engines and what I've been told there is no comparision in fuel economy at idle and mid-range between the 250xs and 300x. It's at WOT where the fuel burn rate gap narrows. I'm sure Jimmyb could elaborate more.

JJB

stoker2001
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. Stoker you will have to keep us informed on your testing results. What made you go with the 1.62 gears?. The hull i'm going to use the 250 on is a 21' daytona.well,i am real happy with my 250XS now!!considering the size of this boat :eek: i did some metal removal (radiused it) to the trailing edge of skeg on sportmaster case and adjusted the tunnel tabs/plates neatral to one degree positive.ran the jack plate all the way up which puts propshaft centerline around 3/8" above pad and used less trim,which made boat feel a litttle wet,but GPS climbed to 86mph without any porpuse!!!!

drasticplastic
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
stoker, sweeet on the new test results. that is about the speed that I am lookin for out of my rig. What prop did you use to get the 86 mph ?. Also need to know more about your gears in the lower. I might need to change my order specs before they build it, so some quick info is appreciated. What rpms did you turn the motor up to ?. P.S. the hull looks like it is runnin real nice on the water !. Oh yah how much set-back are ya usin ?. Talk with ya soon, Drastic.

stoker2001
09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
stoker, sweeet on the new test results. that is about the speed that I am lookin for out of my rig. What prop did you use to get the 86 mph ?. Also need to know more about your gears in the lower. I might need to change my order specs before they build it, so some quick info is appreciated. What rpms did you turn the motor up to ?. P.S. the hull looks like it is runnin real nice on the water !. Oh yah how much set-back are ya usin ?. Talk with ya soon, Drastic.the seller kinda talked me into the 1.62 gears,but i think i woulda been better off with the 1.75 and ussing more pitch (i dont know).Our boat is carbon kevlar hybrid layup,which i heard was around 1000# out of mold.i used merc 26 pitch lightnin ET labbed (dealer cost is 800.00 the last i heard)RPMs were 6400.we run a CMC powerlift jack plate that sets it back 5.5".the boat has a 8" step so total setback would be 13.5".good luck with 21 daytona and keep me posted with your speeds

THE FAST ONE
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Kevin,great Looking Boat,pic. Looks Like Good Running Angle,very Big Increase With Set Up,that's Real Cool.---ed Nettles

stoker2001
09-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Kevin,great Looking Boat,pic. Looks Like Good Running Angle,very Big Increase With Set Up,that's Real Cool.---ed Nettlesthanks Ed,we have been really enjoying the new boat.The Mirage wont be seeing much lake duties these days :cool: take care

drasticplastic
09-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Stoker, Thanks for the info so quickly the other day. I had time to read it but not time to post reply. I'm going to stick with the 1.75 gears and give them a try. This way we will learn what works the best with these new motors on our style of hulls. My hull is 1200# I'm rigging it with a custom CMC 12" setback with negative wedge and power lift. Going to run one of Mercs new (released in the spring) 28" 4 blade over the hub props. Till next time keep on Stokin.

Lars T
09-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Sound really good for the performance figures..
I believe i'm running the same type of rig..

I'm running a Phantom 21 - about 1000#, and shes is currently being rigged with a new 250XS - getting her back tommorow..
Will start out with a 25" High5 and getting a 27" Tempest late october.. 6 inch of setback as well..

Saw 78mph with a 225 Optimax with a 25" leg and a 23" High 5, hit the rev limited all the time. Totally wrong setup - a bite of a scary ride ;)

blkmtrfan
09-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Great looking boat Lars, post some more pics :cool:

Lars T
09-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks blkmtrfan...

Here's some pics....
Getting overtaken on pic II :D

Ing
10-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Lars,

Sharp boat. Where is the Phantom 21 made?

Thanks

drasticplastic
10-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Got the serial #s for my motor the other day. I will be picking it up this week. Will have on the hull and the rigging done next week. Then lake test and break-in to get 10hrs on it to start prop testing if it isn't to cold here in northern michigan.

baja200merk
10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
my dads boss has a 29? superboat he had 2 300x on er and they burnt soo much fuel he swapped them out for 2 250xs motors... he said fuel economy almost doubled and he only lost 4-5mph up top...

kevin

Lars T
10-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Lars,

Sharp boat. Where is the Phantom 21 made?

Thanks

Thanks..

They are built by Steve Baker in the UK, England Europe that is ;)

drasticplastic
10-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Lars did you get your boat back?. Just hung the 250XS on the hull today. Will be hooking up all the harness and etc. tomarrow. Interested to see how your motor runs and what you think of it.

Lars T
10-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Drastic,
I'm very pleased with if - much more grunt than my "old" 225 opti.

However i have had several alarms on it - all low water pressure, except the pressure gauge has been fine:confused: but it has been checked by merc mechanic.. They might change the impellor and water pump start next season.

Still running it in, have only done max 3 hours with it, and overhere it now only 5-10 degress celsius :(

drasticplastic
10-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Lars i'm glad that you are happy with your 250XS. I am hopeing to test run the boat next week, But it has been cold (50 degress f) and it doesn't look like it is going to get warmer. At least the motor is on there and lookin good!.

Lars T
10-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Very happy indeed, however i'm having trouble finding at correct amount of setback.. Are you running with any??

How much does your rig weight in at??
Is it similar to my Phantom?

Lars T
10-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Sorry :(
just read your previous post..
Seems like what have a smiliar type hull, butt mine weight a bit less than yours..
Think I will opt for 10" setback and mayeb spacers if additional setback is needed.
Have you supported the transome in any way??

drasticplastic
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello Lars. Yes I am running 12" of set-back. My hull is a tunnel style. It's weight is @1250LBS for just the hull, no motor. The transom is supported with 2 knee braces and 2 tie-bars and 1/4" plates instead of washers on the bolts that hold the set-back bracket to the transom. Your hull is a "V" bottom style isn't it?. If it is you need to use @12" of set-back and set the motor height so the prop. shaft is @2"-3" below the very bottom of the hull. This would be very close to a very good all-around set-up. You will need a better prop.,than the ones listed under your avitar, for you to get the most out of your rig. Something like a trophy by Mercury. The pitch will depend on what gears are in your lower unit. But likely a 26". This set-up would be good for all-around sport boat use. You could do some more testing/changes to squeeze more out of it at top speed, but it would sacrifice it's rough water ability and planing and weight carrying and control,and I don't feel that it would be worth the trade-off.

Lars T
10-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Drastic,
You are probably right bout the trade-off not really worth it in the end.. But then again chnage is not always for the better but still at fun to see how these things react in water.. ;)

drasticplastic
10-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes Lars the testing and fiddling can be fun. I saw that you responded to a guys post for a Trophy prop. Make shure that it is a Trophy and not a Trophy plus. There are many differances between the two props. A Trophy will work much better on your hull vs. the Trophy plus.

blkmtrfan
10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Make shure that it is a Trophy and not a Trophy plus. There are many differances between the two props. A Trophy will work much better on your hull vs. the Trophy plus.

I do like my Trophy better than my Trophy plus ;)

However there are several boats witha similar hull that do like the plus :confused:

Lars T
10-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Yes Lars the testing and fiddling can be fun. I saw that you responded to a guys post for a Trophy prop. Make shure that it is a Trophy and not a Trophy plus. There are many differances between the two props. A Trophy will work much better on your hull vs. the Trophy plus.

Drastic - thanks for looking out for me.. :)
what the difference between plus and no plus ;)??

drasticplastic
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
The plus has ventalation holes/ports on the barrel of the prop. This gives to much slip getting on plane with a high "x" dimention. The barrel of the plus is smaller diameter, not the same diameter as your sportmaster gearcase. This also allowes exhaust gases to flow out onto the prop blades and makes them slip. And also the blade shape is changed a little. All of these things made a good prop not so good. Get a Trophy, Old style non-plus type. P.S. your welcome.

blkmtrfan
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Drastic, the later trophys do have PVS holes and flow torq hubs along with the large barrel, I own one ;)

THE FAST ONE
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Drastic, the later trophys do have PVS holes and flow torq hubs along with the large barrel, I own one ;) YOU COULD PLUG PVS HOLES WITH SOLID RUBBER GROMETS,GIVE YOU VERY LITTLE SLIP,MIGHT BE HARDER TO FIND OLDER TROPHY--ED

drasticplastic
10-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Black, I thought that only the plus's have the vent holes. I have a real Trophy with the flow-torque hub so I know that they do/did come that way.

drasticplastic
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Ed, yes you can plug the holes off completely (Merc offers the plugs) and it will act the same as having no holes. This would work on a large hub "newer Trophy" if indeed the hub/barrel of those props are the same as a large diameter(sportmaster/bravo)gearcase. Yes the "old" Trophy props are getting hard to find in good shape, but they are worth looking for.

Lars T
10-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Guess I will try and source an Ole style Trophy - non Plus.. ;)
Not sure wether i should try a 26-27" I can reach the limiter iwth my 27" tempest, but am also wanting to install a jack next spring.. This will ofcourse also do something to the setup, and determine the amount pitch!?!

blkmtrfan
10-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Black, I thought that only the plus's have the vent holes. I have a real Trophy with the flow-torque hub so I know that they do/did come that way.

Check out the pic :D

drasticplastic
10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Blk.motor, I guess ya learn somthin new everyday(or ya should). My prop looks just like yours but no holes and no part# on the outside barrel of the prop.. The part # is on the rear inside of the hub by where the thrust washer sits. Which makes it hard to read so last night I mistook the #5 for a #6, my prop is a 25" pitch.

drasticplastic
10-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Lars, yes do look for an older Trophy with-out holes or one like Blk. motors and just plug off the holes. Like we both have been saying you will like this prop alot better than a Trophy Plus. In my opinion they are actually a Trophy Minus. The pitch of your prop needs to be determined by what rpm's ya turn with the motor trimed up just so the rooster tail is only about 5' of the water, not what it will turn when trimed up to the moon. This is because that when you get the set-up right (set-back and "x"dimention/engine height and prop) you will only need to trim up the motor that high to fly the boat. With my estimate of your rigs top speed when set-up for good all-around performance of @75mph I feel that a 25" might be a little to small and a 27" a little to big, if you could find a good used one of either buy it and have it worked by Bog to be exactly what ya need. I could get more specific on the more desierable one to look for if I could see a picture of the bottom of your boat from the rear and knew what gear ratio your lower unit has. So get some pics and get the gear ratio and I we'll pic the size prop that Santa needs to look for, you have been good havent ya?.LOL.

drasticplastic
10-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Guy's just so there is no confusion I have 2 boats that have gotten mentioned in this discussion. 1=21'liberator tunnel with 2006 250XS. 1=21'Checkmate with 225. I use the 25" Trophy on the Checkmate as my crusin around(most of the time)prop. I have not tried the Trophy on the Lib. and won't get to till next spring, todays high temp was 40, low was 28. So the Lib has been stored a way till spring.

150aintenuff
10-28-2005, 03:36 AM
that is why they invented space heaters and storm canvas biminis... to boat in the rain...

also scott I thought your trophy was a over//thru... guess I lernt sumthin....

blkmtrfan
10-28-2005, 07:48 AM
also scott I thought your trophy was a over//thru... guess I lernt sumthin....

Nick, I have both kinds, but honestly I like the older style better for everyday use, seems to carry the rear of the boat better.

What is this all about that you put in your sig: :confused:

Nicks Marine and Performance
Portland OR CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

drasticplastic
10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Nick, I could deal with just rain it's the sleet trying to snow sh*t that doesn't get it(lol). So both boats are put away for the winter, now it's time to get the snowmobile ready. Also Nick I ended-up selling the Vampier boat to a guy in Ottowa (sp) Canada. He realy loves the boat and is taking very good care of it. He calls from time to time to talk and ask questions about it.

150aintenuff
10-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I found out my partner gained access to the accounts and had taken a bunch of $$$ out and the business was losing $$$$$$$ so I closed it for the winter and am getting a job over the slow period and will reopen in the spring I am still taking small jobs that i can do in my driveway or at thier house, I got rid of the shop and the overhead to survive untill I can get enough cash together to Sue the crap out of my EX partner the thief... it was bad enough that the SOB wouldnt bill out jobs apropriatly but then to use and take company funds was going to far.. I can clean up invoicing problems, i cant deal with a jerk who uses compan $$$ for personal gain..

Drastic glad to hear the boat sold.. wish I could have gotten her but just wasnt n the cards.. above reason didnt help either... bought a hydrostream valero V hull and am SLOWLY putting it together.. was going to be done mid NOV untill the above reasoning came up and slowed that project down... but other than that I dont want to get to far off topic so enough about my problems... if you want to see pics of te hydrostream they are on www.nwoffshore.com in the general boaing section.. under hydrostream Valero arrived as planned.

Scott the fact I closed for the winter isnt that big of deal really.. portland gets so slow with no boating it is pathetic... fishing slows and nobody uses their boats so I expected it but I was hoping to have enough kitty lying around that i could stay open a few days a week and work part time elsewhere to cover personal bills but it didnt happen..

150aintenuff
10-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Nick, I have both kinds, but honestly I like the older style better for everyday use, seems to carry the rear of the boat better.

bigger longer barrel gains stern lift... makes sence...

blkmtrfan
10-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Nick that sucks :mad:

Wnet and looked at the pics of your boat, I am pretty sure I have seen that one before. You should start a build up thread over here it is, after all, more of a S&F type boat than a NW offshore boat :p

150aintenuff
10-31-2005, 10:46 AM
have more pics to take then will start a build up thread over here..