PDA

View Full Version : Trial Blazer 4200 engine

Euroski
08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm looking at several Trial Blazers with 4200 engines and one EXT with the 5300engine. Anyone towing with this vehicle and wish comments.

1BadAction
09-06-2005, 09:14 AM
The I-6 is a tough ass engine, but it lacks the torque of the 5.3 V8. if you are going to haul, go with the 5.3... it will get better mpg hauling a boat and close to the mpg unloaded.

baja200merk
09-06-2005, 09:25 AM
go with the 5300 vortec you are towing that skater your gonna want the power... i know a guy who towed his 25 ft cummins powered shamrock back and forth to florida 2 times with a leased trail blazer the last 2 years

kevin

Mach2
09-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Definitely go with the 5.3. My folks have a 2004 Trailblazer extended with the 4.2 and a 3.73 gear. I have the 2004 Envoy extended with the 5.3 and the 3.73 gear. When towing their boat (5500 lbs) the Trailblazer works hard. The Envoy is no bullet, but it definitely pulls better. With my 3000lb rig I can tow in overdrive with no problem.

Massbasser
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
If I am not mistaken you need to get a EXT to get the 5.3L, that's how it was, not sure if they changed that offering. Are you going new? Go with the 6.0L Trailblazer SS! Probably going to be near 40K list. But badazz. I have the 4200, it's the wifes car and I haven't towed with it yet. Waiting for a supercharger kit to come on the market for it.

1BadAction
09-09-2005, 04:24 PM
35 9 list msrp for the SS TB... it can be had for 32. imo

chynewalkr
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
The ext looks like a schoolbus, the regular version looks good, if the ext is all that the 5.3 is available in, then mark that up as another reason I am losing confidence in GM.

Euroski
09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I drove both last week and it looks like the 5.3 is the only way to go. Also drove a 5.3l Tahoe and liked it too. What type of real world MPG are they getting for towing or not?

1BadAction
09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
a 2wd truck with the 5.3 is getting about 21-22 mpg, expect a little less (20) with the tahoe 2wd. a 4wd truck will be about a mpg less. my truck (4wd) with the 5.3 and 3.73s gets 20mpg at 75mph, and 24 at 60mph in OD. Towing my action has no affect on the mileage, of course, the heavier the boat, the more difference it makes.

Speaking from experience, if you are planning on hauling a boat any distance, or in stop-go stuff, the hoe is much better. bigger brakes, bigger tires, stiffer chassis, stronger frame. a midsize just isnt there for hauling a boat, imo. If you haul a boat and get into traffic, a fullsize makes ALOT of difference.

Massbasser
09-13-2005, 07:28 AM
35 9 list msrp for the SS TB... it can be had for 32. imo

Damn if my trade in was worth anything I might have to consider it for that price. If it was for the damn gas prices. :eek:

blkmtrfan
09-13-2005, 07:56 AM
I drove both last week and it looks like the 5.3 is the only way to go. Also drove a 5.3l Tahoe and liked it too. What type of real world MPG are they getting for towing or not?

I have a 5.3 Tahoe and just got about 12 mpg average towing my boat on a 4-hour trip including going over a 4000' mountian pass (I live at sea level). It seems to get close to 20mpg unloaded and going down the freeway.

When I bought mine they just came out with the EXT trailblazer so I compaired and got the Tahoe, the better of the two IMHO. BTW with the incentives these days, you can find Tahoes in the low 30k range as well

1BadAction
09-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Damn if my trade in was worth anything I might have to consider it for that price. If it was for the damn gas prices. :eek:

yeah, after this employee discount fiasco, GM has reduced their prices a bit. as for gas... well, ya gotta pay to play :eek:

STVRacing
09-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I got a 5.3 in my Avalanche and have towed everything from a Vking to a 32 Hustler. It pulls like a dream, rides like its on a cushon of air. I have towed over 350 miles straight through on alittl eover a half of tank of gas cruising around 75 mph. The 4.2 is a $hit engine. I had a brand new Envoy with it and after a week I brought it back. In this case bigger is better.

ScarabEpic22
05-21-2006, 02:34 AM
I got a 5.3 in my Avalanche and have towed everything from a Vking to a 32 Hustler. It pulls like a dream, rides like its on a cushon of air. I have towed over 350 miles straight through on alittl eover a half of tank of gas cruising around 75 mph. The 4.2 is a $hit engine. I had a brand new Envoy with it and after a week I brought it back. In this case bigger is better.

For towing heavy loads, yes the 4.2L I6 engine isnt that great, but it does have VVT and is inline so there is no vibration whatsoever when driving.

Also, what gear ratio did you have in your Voy? That makes a huge difference in the TB/Voy department as the 3 ratios either make or break the towing situation.

And, for those waiting for a supercharger kit to come out for the 4.2L I6, go complain to Whipple. They have a prototype that they scrapped in 03 due to "lack of interest" and no one has plans to make one. The only way I can think of is to get a kit for the 3.5L I5 found in the Colorado/Canyon/H3 and mod the brackets to fit the I6.

Massbasser
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I talked to them a few times through email with no great response. The wife is all ready getting sick of her Trailblazer and I maybe getting it next if she decides to get something else, I would love to put a Whipple on it, but I wouldn't expect any support from them if I bought a 5 cylinder kit and tried to mount it on my I-6, although it maybe the same, I remember reading an article in Hotrod where they took the kit for a 5.7L TBI and bolted it onto a 4.3 V6, anyone familar enough with the new inlines to know how similar they are?

Massbasser
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Just looked and didn't see a whipple for the H3, but did see the RK Sports (powerdyne) kit for the 5 cylinder, also says it fits the 4 cylinder. If it were compatible, why wouldn't they advertise for the 6 cylinder?

http://www.rksport.com/product/p_10093850/view_detail

ScarabEpic22
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I talked to them a few times through email with no great response. The wife is all ready getting sick of her Trailblazer and I maybe getting it next if she decides to get something else, I would love to put a Whipple on it, but I wouldn't expect any support from them if I bought a 5 cylinder kit and tried to mount it on my I-6, although it maybe the same, I remember reading an article in Hotrod where they took the kit for a 5.7L TBI and bolted it onto a 4.3 V6, anyone familar enough with the new inlines to know how similar they are?

Yes, I am heavily involved in the 4.2L I6 engines, and after looking at the 28.L I4 and 3.5L I5 engines found in the Colorado/Canyon/H3 platform, the supercharger kits should bolt up with very little modification. I am pretty sure you would have to relocate the windshield wiper fluid resevoir as it takes up a healthy amount of space near the pass headlight. Other than that and tuning, which can now be accomplished with either EFILive or HPTuners, only slight modifications to the brackets would be necessary in order to have a Colorado supercharger fit a TrailBlazer/Envoy/etc.

The engines are identical except for the intake manifold are slightly different and the accessory belt routing is probably different.

Since most of the kits for the I5 are mounted on brackets, hose routing shouldnt be that difficult and the biggest challenge on a TB would be the intercooler if you wanted one.

ScarabEpic22
06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
OK, just got your reply.

The reason they dont advertise it for the I6 is the simple fact that tuning software was not available period until about 2 1/2 months ago. The I4/I5 PCM and the I6 PCMs are different, so even if a company could tune a I4/I5, they couldnt do an I6. Now, since they can be tuned, it shouldnt be an issue, except you better either know how to tune a car or go somewhere or have a buddy that can.