PDA

View Full Version : Best DFI

Lockjaw
08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
IF you were going to repower with a 175 hp DFI engine, which one would you choose? 18ft Bassboat.

Anyone repower from a carb to DFI, and whats the deal?

Thanks

Massbasser
08-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Depends on the boat...

Massbasser
08-23-2005, 09:00 AM
On an 18 foot bass boat I would go with either the Yamaha, Etec or Mercury. If I was looking for most reliable I would go with Yamaha, fastest Mercury and as far as the Etec is conserned I personally would wait 2-3 years before ordering one because it's too new to know what problems will come up, not to say it won't be the best choice or even just a very good choice, me personally I'd like to see what happens when they are a few years old then make a decision. HPDI and Opti technology have been around for a while, both have the bugs worked out, I don't think you could go wrong with either motor.

THE FAST ONE
08-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Lockjaw,merc Now,a Year From Now Who Knows,maybe4-stroke--MY .O2 WORTH---ED

JW
08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Looks to be the best technology. Local bass boat dealer here rebuilds AVERAGE 50 Opti's per summer...........................................

Massbasser
08-26-2005, 08:50 AM
What years are these Opti's he's rebuilding, the technology had bugs in it's infancy, it's better now. HPDI's like going pop too! They all do, the nature of a 2 Stroke. I agree the Etec sounds like the best technology, I just get nervous with anything (cars, boats, motors) in their first year of production, recalls, bugs etc... I don't want to be a beta tester for there products.

David
08-26-2005, 09:33 AM
you could wait for the next generation E Techs
variable exhaust height? could have greatly improved acceleration

sosmerc
08-26-2005, 10:30 AM
The later model (2003 and up) Optimax are pretty solid engines. You get great running quality, lots of bottom end torque, and very good fuel economy. Just remember, a 175 is a 175....so don't expect a 175 Optimax to run circles around a carb or EFI 175 at top end....and don't forget that the DFI engines are heavier than past carb and EFI motors of similar horsepower.

Lockjaw
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
I kind of think a heavier engine would help my boat with balance. I have an 89 GT175, and would expect a newer 175 to have more beans.

What I want is better gas mileage, mine does ok until you run over 45 to 50. I think the newer engines would probably do a little better with holeshot, and might let me turn a bigger prop to get a nicer cruise speed.

I like the idea of a Yammie or Merc, since there is aftermarket support for them.

Capt.Insane-o
09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
By one at boat show time and get a 7 year warranty, no belt driven air compressor, no belt driven fuel pump. They are awesome motors......

hsbob
09-22-2005, 10:23 AM
if you can goto a 200 get the merc 200xs for economy.

Markus
09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
What I want is better gas mileage, mine does ok until you run over 45 to 50.

Don't expect that much improvement in WOT fuel consumption with a direct injected engine, though. The differences are much bigger in the low-end and mid-range.

David
09-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Do the DI engines have a lot more torque?

hsbob
09-23-2005, 09:00 AM
markus is right wot on the 200xs is only10-20% better. at 45-50mph it goes to 100% better those are actual numbers.

i have two voyagers one with a 1999 200efi and the othewr a 200xs opti. the opti turn a 24 vs a23 and has a better hole shot espically for skiing. is this a fact for all opti or due to merc under rating the 200xs ???????.

al i can really say is the total amount of fuel for a weekend using the 200xs when in half!!!!

Splashabout
09-27-2005, 09:23 AM
E-Tec will be the way to go. The boat will spend more time in the water with a 3 year or 300HR service schedule as apposed to 1 year from the other manufacturers. 3 year non declining warranty, major oil and fuel consumption reductions. They are great!!!

Lockjaw
11-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Well I haven't seen a B&WB mag test where the E-tec was better then the Opti in terms of mileage. I also do not like to buy something that is new technology, even though I think BRP is a great company. The 175 seems to be an over looked engine for the most part, and I don't know why, it is the max rating on a lot of boats. I think mine would do the same with a GT150 compared to my GT175.

I rode in a boat with a 225 Opti on it, and I really liked it. The boat was a Basscat Cougar, which is a 21 footer, and it would stroke. The guy had a worked Trophy, I think a 26 pitch, and it came out of the hole good, but man when you got it up on the pad, it stroked.

I liked how quiet the engine was. I removed a K&N FIPK from my Tundra because of all the racket, so I guess I am getting more towards quiet. Nathan at Hydrotec said they could warm up an HPDI 175 to over 200 HP, so that sounds promising. Wonder what they could do with a 150 HPDI, since there is like a 2000 dollar difference in price.

Maybe I should just sell the boat and buy a faster one.

I also want to see a test on the new Verado 150 or 175.

150aintenuff
11-11-2005, 12:56 AM
I am sure there will be a test or 2 from B&WB and trailer boats in the future.. 150 hp is a fairly common power option

Scream And Fly
11-12-2005, 12:42 PM
We have some interesting engine evaluations planned for this spring/summer. :)

Greg

Stinky
11-13-2005, 09:22 PM
We have some interesting engine evaluations planned for this spring/summer. :)

Greg

Didn't BASS and Walleye just finish a 200 DI shoot out. How about some numbers. ;)

Dntlokbak
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Have to wonder why the only engine that BRP didn't show running up against the e-tec in it's infomercial was the OPTI :confused:

Rm1969
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
No doubt a Etec.......specially with the 7 yr warranty promotion

Dntlokbak
01-08-2006, 01:31 PM
BRP is not Bombardier. They don't have unlimited funds and other profitable divisions to draw from to cover long term warranties. They could have a hundred year warranty it probably won't matter. If they back their outboards like they back their snowmobile engines I would run the other way.

sosmerc
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
FYI...Optimax is now being offered with a 5 year warranty...if purchased and registered by April 15, 2006.

Verado is being offered with a 6 year warranty for the boat show season as well.

Lockjaw
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
BRP is not Bombardier. They don't have unlimited funds and other profitable divisions to draw from to cover long term warranties. They could have a hundred year warranty it probably won't matter. If they back their outboards like they back their snowmobile engines I would run the other way.

Now I am an admitted Merc fan, but BRP is Bombardier Recreational Products, so how can it not be Bombardier? Also, I have bought some BRP parts for my OMC, and they are vastly better, the power pack I just bought was awesome compared to the CDI on my boat, and my plastic fuel bowl, well they made it metal. Thats an improvement no doubt about it.

BRP feels like it can warranty that long because their engines have fewer moving parts from what I have seen. That makes sense to me, which is why I never bought a CD changer, I got a single disc, less parts, less chance of breaking. I forget how many changers my brother went through, my single disc still works, although the remote finally died.

I think we are all looking at longer warranties for our future.