PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the shine

shep70057
08-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I have re-gelcoated a couple of spots on my boat that were scratched up on recent trips. I've gone through the paces of wet sanding up to a 1500 grit to get the surface as smooth as possible. After sanding, polishing and it looks good. Problem comes in when I go fishing... after a fishing trip that spots seems to stop shining and I have to re-buff it. I've tried several waxes but now it's hard to imagine these waxes not working... any ideas as to what I can do to keep these spots shining after a fishing trip other than re-buffing them??

pyro
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Wet-sand with 2000 grit for a while. Then follow up with rubbing coumpound on a rotary buffer (NOT DA) with a foam wheel. Spray water if it gets too slow and resistive from drying. Do it first with a medium-cut compound, then with a light-cut, then finish with machine glaze, do each step with a separate, brand new clean foam wheel, buff well with a terry towel between steps.

shep70057
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Pyro.

I did use a variable speed rotaty buffer with the black foam pads spraying water with a squirt bottle. Used both Medium and Fine grit compounts... do you think that 1500 grit on the wet sanding wasn't fine enough???? Also, is Machine Glaze another polishing compound??

pyro
08-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't skip 2000, very important. Spend a lot of time on the 2000 wetsanding.

Meguiar's Machine Glaze is another "final" polishing compound step, very fine cut.

-Chad

shep70057
08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks Pyro. Will let you know how it comes out when I get a chance to do it. Probably a couple of weeks.

jphii
08-25-2005, 12:55 PM
So nobody recommends using an orbital buffer?

pyro
08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
The ORBITAL buffers are great for applying and removing waxes, but they exert very little energy on the surface, because the movement is so small. Polishing with rubbing compound requires friction and force, and the rotary does it best. When you push down hard on an orbital, the bonnet slips and skates on the pad, wasting energy. Vibration becomes worse, which will make your hands itch and go numb after a few minutes. Finish experts recommend that compound buffing be done in straight lines rather than round and round. The rotary buffer is the next closest thing, because it's like one never-ending, arc-shaped stroke. Keep it moving, and mist the surface with water if the friction dries up the compound and makes it slow down the buffer.

I'm going to but a good rotary sometime soon. It will probably cost me $200.

-Chad

jphii
08-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks. I've got a good orbital. But, I need to sand out my finish first. I've found that Abralon discs (I use them to polish solid surface countertiops) work a lot better than sandpaper. And they go to 4000 grit, which is better than compounding SOME TIMES depending on the finish you're after. I use them with a Klingspor air sander.

Once I get this powerhead done & runnin, I'm going to do the boat. I want to see if using 4000 eliminates the need for polishing. I did 2000 on one of my shop vans and it looked great. Just needed wax after that. At least I can use the orbital for that. We'll see....

shep70057
10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
If you use that 4000 grit, let me know how it comes out. Since Katrina and Rita, I haven't been able to touch my boat yet.