PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank pickup question--need quick response from someone before noon if possible

Ron V
05-20-2001, 10:44 AM
This morning I was filling my VRO tank. Had to use a pliers to get the cap loose and accidentally broke off the little plastic cap that covers the vent in the center of it. My dad was there, and while I was holding it in my hand with some dismay, I opened the gas tank cap and was (while we were on the subject of vents) talking about the in-cap vent in the gas tank. Lo and behold the little plastic piece in my hand popped out of my hand and fell right in the gas tank. Perfect shot. We stood out in the driveway for some time with a sheet over our heads and a light looking in the tank and probing around. Could see it but our mechanical finger couldn't grab it. Finally got pushed out of sight from poking around too much. It is in there for life, end of story. The GOOD news: There is a baffle between the filler hole and the fuel pickup. We probed with a coat hanger and the opening at the bottom of the baffle does not seem big enough for this cap to pass through.

BUT, my question, just in case it could pass through, is how are the pickups constructed on the built-in tanks? I have never had one out. It seems to me I have seen drawings or pictures that indicate that they have a screen protruding outward from the end, as opposed to just a screen across the opening. If that is the case then I am okay because even if this little cap were to clap itself over the screen it woudl still be able to draw plenty of fuel. My main concern is if the tank DOESN'T have a screen on the pickup or just has a screen across the opening--because of that plastic cap's shape it might (one in a million chance but those are my lucky odds) fall over the pickup and starve the motor.

Anyone know for sure what the screen arrangement is like on the pickups? I'm sure I am worrying about nothing but if someone could get me an answer int he next hour or so I'd really appreciate it because I have a day planned on the water with my dad and we are heading out after lunch.

Thanks.

Rickracer
05-20-2001, 11:50 AM
Fuel pickups aren't always the same. It depends on who made the tank, what vendor they were getting the plumbing from that week, etc. I'd say it's a one in a million chance that it would cause you a problem, but I would keep the machanical fingers with you because that piece of plastic will keep moving with the fuel, and you may be able to reach it later.

Arizona Hotboater
05-20-2001, 01:58 PM
Hey Ron,
Dont sweat it. Do what Rickracer said. The pick up likely has a boot screen on it. Wont impair flow if the cap is drawn to the pickup. If it does foul due to no screen, you will get a lean condition so bad that it will act as though its out of fuel. Pull the pickup tube and it will be lodged in the end or will be accessable with the mechanical fingers. Have a great day boating.

Also, my e-mail will recieve but not send. NEVER GET MSN as your ISP. Tell all your friends. I will e-mail you if they ever get it fixed. Been down 4 days now.
Marc

Techno
05-20-2001, 02:37 PM
Mine has a screen formed in the chape of a deep cup.
If you can see it in the future put a hose in there and pump/suck it out. Start a siphon or use a pump. Doing it this way will draw the thing towards the hose.
You can try doing this when the tank is nearly empty and you should be able to get it out even if you can't see it. Warning, don't use something like a wet vac because the fumes pass through the motor, Start a siphon or plumb a large hose to your fuel pump.
Using a siphon is a corvette gas tank vacuuming, cleaning tip.

Ron V
05-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I kind of figured I was worrying about nothing. I may try to get it out later when the tank is empty if it lies where I can see it. The tank is prism-shaped so that makes it worse.

The whole thing really was kind of ridiculously funny in a way. I'm standing there showing my dad the vent in the gas cap, with the cap open, and this piece just pops right out of my hand into the tank. Then I'm standing there like Oh F--K (laughingly), oh g-ddamnit! (laughing and fake crying) as I'm beating my head on the rear seatback. Finally my neighbor walked over to see what was so funny and I just told him it was too long of a story and told my dad to explain it while I went downstairs and got the mechanical finger.

Thanks again.

V4Freak

P.S. Motor ran fine.