PDA

View Full Version : mercury prop spline change????

ddog
08-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I have herd some people on the boards say that you can change the mercury props from shall shaft to large shaft. Is this posible on all of them? or just on the new style interchangable hubs. I am talking solid hub here, not bravo's.

W. Tripp
08-19-2005, 11:44 AM
The new style props use replaceable metal or plastic hubs that can be changed by yourself with a drop in part.

The older style props use a pressed in hub with a rubber absorber on it. IF you can find a source for the older style hubs that will fit on the larger propshaft, it is easy to get this done. However, I don't know of a source for the hubs to fit the later propshafts.

Many switch the propshaft out for the older style small diameter ones for just this reason.

ddog
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
The new style props use replaceable metal or plastic hubs that can be changed by yourself with a drop in part.

The older style props use a pressed in hub with a rubber absorber on it. IF you can find a source for the older style hubs that will fit on the larger propshaft, it is easy to get this done. However, I don't know of a source for the hubs to fit the later propshafts.

Many switch the propshaft out for the older style small diameter ones for just this reason.

Thanks W.Tripp.
Does anyone know were I can get the big shaft press in inserts?

Jim Slack, Jr.
08-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Mazco just did a set for me.

NICE PAIR
08-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Mazco just did a set for me.

John at Mazco quoted me $275 to press out a small shaft hub, machine the prop, install, and weld a large shaft hub in my merc 4 blade cleaver (including the new hub) Mazco (636)-343-9911

ragtopvet
08-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Performance propeller in soddy daisy,tn charged $225 to weld in a fat shaft hub on a 29 srx

LakeRacer99
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
I talked to Mazco and he said you can go from small to big but not the other way...I don't see why.
My prop had a welded in big hub and I wanted a small hub, he said he can't do it.

mjwalters
09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Hydromotive sells weld in hubs for both small and big shaft. They are fully machined and fit very well

The Big Al
09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Try Performance Props. Soddy Daisy Tenn.

But it might not be cost effective.

mjwalters
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
You may be right I paid around $100 for each hub but I was able to weld them myself

time warp
11-11-2005, 07:33 PM
The set of Spinelli's that Performance Propeller welded large shaft hubs in for me are untrustable to me, I've used them twice and both times out they have cracked, both props the first time, one prop the second time and now the prop that was fixed a second time came with a receipt that says "AS IS No more Warrenty"

Here's a link to the whole story
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=779180#post779180

Caleb

150aintenuff
11-14-2005, 10:34 PM
so you finally got the second one back.......... atleast you got it.. tobad they are spinellis and cant be replaced easilly..... bummer they never got it right for ya caleb...