PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Bob Baja 184 chine walking prob

smith411
08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Bob you out there?

You have helped me in the past, but I know you have stepped up to the big leagues of speed with that Allison?. Hope you can remember that old slow Baja, HAHA.

Mine is an '82 BR184 with a warmed over 200 Xri. I have just installed a 9" setback between the transom and the 5.5" CMC jack plate. At 68 Mph it starts to chine walk and I can't seem to make it go away without slowing down. Top speed was 71 with a 24P Chopper.

If my memory serves, you were running 85 or so. Did you have any chine walking problems? Did you use tabs?

Barefoot Bob
08-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I was running a Land & Sea 5" setback that I still have for sale. I had a Land & Sea jack plate bolted to that. Total setback was 9" running a 4 blade prop to 75 MPH. I had a nose cone with lower water pickups. I found that I could get better speed without the nose cone and still had ok water pressure. It did chine walk a bit but was still drivable.

smith411
08-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks,
I'll have to check the hydraulic steering, it has a little play. At 68 it's out of control, I'm not even sure how I got to 71 or what kind of rpm it was at.

Thanks again,
Kevin