PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Protectant (WAX) Synthetic or Normal

tdogcarter
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Just got a Euro, and it is mostly white, and do not want to use a wax that will make it go Yellow. What is the best thing to use to get some protectant on the surface and to not have it yellow in the future? Should Wax be used should some form of Sealant be used? A cleaner that leaves no wax on there be used?
What are you guys using, my last boat I used some Zymol on it and the top area most exposed to the sun started to Yellow, and I don't want that to happen. The boat is stored indoors and used on the weekends.

Thanks

Trey

Scream And Fly
08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Trey, there are two versions of Zymol - the one that you buy at Autozone (not good) and the one you can order from them directly (good). Myself, I do not like using polymers on gelcoat. Right now, I prefer Zymol Glasur. You can read about it here: http://www.zymol.com/glasur.htm

You should never have a problem with discoloration unless you wax it too much. Yes, it's possible to do that, especially with polymers, which will layer.

Greg

eli
08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
never had a yellowing problem with turtle wax wash or spray and wipe turtle , some of those other waxes just have a high price. i have so much wax on my boat if you walk on it with a wet feet you will slip off.i've had it for 3 years now and it looks like i just bought it i wax it 3 times a month and wash it once a month.

triple dude
08-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Living in the Chicagoland area, you might know racerx?? His scenario is about the same as yours. White Ally SS that is in garage when not being used. He's had it for about four years and there's no sign of yellowing. He does bodywork and antique cars so he's pretty familiar with what works...and I'll guarantee it's something CHEAP. ;)

blkmtrfan
08-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I have used the blue Zymol (the not so good stuff I guess) and have never had any of the yellowing problems you describe, are you sure it was from the wax?

One thing to remember with the blue Zymol is you have to slightly wet it down after you buff it and then rub it one more time (basically drying the water)

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64998

Chummy
08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
has anyone ever tryed this stuff I have used it a couple of times and is slick as sh*@. It has teflon in it and i don't know if thats a good or bad thing. Check it out.....
http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1501&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Marine%20Polishes&ProductSSCat=Marine%20Waxes%20%26%20Polish

halveb
08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Trey, I used a sealant product on my car that I was pretty happy with called Crystal Guard (they have a website crystalguard.com). The product isn't cheap if you get the pro product which is what I did but I used it over a year ago and water still beads on my car.

It is supposed to be be ultra hard. I think it would work on boats as well but didn't want to waste it on my boat until I had some finish issues dealt with then I would seal it.