PDA

View Full Version : Teleflex steering issue

markm
08-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Here is the situation. I have an 1976 Keaton 18 jet boat with a Berkeley JE pump. The steering and gate are mounted on the starboard side of the pump.

The current helm/cable assy is a rotary Acco Steermaster MKII with a 14' long cable.

The cable is shot and needs to be replaced, however the MKII 14' long replacement cable is no longer available. The guy who actually is the builder of the boat told me a Teleflex Safe-t qc 16' would work and that is what he sold me. I'm beginning to question this setup will work.

My helm is mounted on the Port side of the boat. The cable runs along the port gunwale and then goes under the engine to the starboard side and then exits straight out the transom and connects straight to the starboard side of the pump nozzle.

Now I've gotten the Teleflex rotary system and upon reading the directions it appears that to feed the cable into the helm you have to turn the wheel clockwise until the cable housing latches in.

The problem that I've encountered is that the directions state that when you turn the steering wheel clockwise the output ram at the end of the cable will extend. In my situation I believe this is the problem since if this is true and I turn the wheel clockwise and the ram extends this will push the nozzle of the jet to the port or left when looking at the back of the boat and thus cause the boat to go left instead of right. I can see this setup working if my steering connection was on the port side of the jet like most Berkeley jets or if it was an outboard perhaps, but that doesn't help in my setup.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any experience with the Teleflex Safe-t QC helm and cable that could assist me with this?
What are folks doing that have/had a Steermaster rotary helm doing?

At this point I may have found a replacement Steermaster MKIII cable 16' which would be the right size and I do have the transom cable adapter for a MKIII so I may lean that way if the current Steermaster helm is ok. I would just have to install the cable into the old Steermaster helm (not sure how tough that is).

Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks.

sleekcrafter
08-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Easy fix, just route the canble to the oppsite side of the helm, if your routing on the bottom, which is what it sounds like, route it into the top side instead and that will fix the problem. They are univeral, made to fit all boats, left or right hand drive. good luck