PDA

View Full Version : Which Cleaver Prop?????

beer30
08-05-2005, 05:45 AM
I want to get Cleaver for the Skater. :D I really have no idea what to look for when it comes to props like this. I know that Choppers have big ears and not so big of ears!! Are Cleaver the same way? Also I thought that Cleaver don't like alot weight also, is this true or false? Thanks for any help, Chuck.

stokernick
08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
cleavers like the surface and high rpm's:cool:

IWannaGoFaster
08-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a 1985 V-King that I am going to run a Mercury 1150 inline-6 on. I was wondering if a 21p cleaver would be good for this. I have one that I had for a 15' boat I was running years ago and it performed great. Will this be good on this hull. I have the Merc. sitting on the transom. I was also wondering if the engine height was ok or do I need to worry about water pick-up. Here is a pic of the bottom and lower unit.

beer30
08-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Your in the same boat I am!!!! :confused: Waiting for some good advice!!! :) Chuck.

Euroski
08-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Chuck, I have a 30 Merc lab cleaver that I have tried but don't have the RPM numbers yet, but if my new Livorsi tach works I can do it next week. The first tach wouldn't read over 5000rpm and now Livorsi sent a tach made by Autometer to try. As for how the cleaver woks, it takes longer to plane, hull rides FLAT, but does feel good above 80mph. MY estimate the cleaver should be a few MPH faster on top end than our present 4-blades. BTW, I'm going to be trying a Hackney 4 blade 28p Saturday evening which I think for my water will be ideal.

beer30
08-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I had the new Performance 3 blade, that I just sent back for a reworks for more rpm's, so when I get it back and try it, I will let you know about the # it pulls. Who makes the Cleaver that you have? The four blade that i have from Hackney is a 15 X 28 that now is 29(after the re-work). Stock it was all over the rev-limiter,(6950) with me and 55 gallons. With Tracy and I and 40 gallons of gas it turned 6800. Chuck.

Euroski
08-05-2005, 09:16 PM
My cleaver is the Mercury Lab 14.5x30. The orignal Hackney 14x30 4bl turned a calculated 5800 so I figure the 28 will be close to the limiter of 6200. Remember you got about 30-40hp on my 300. I hope Santa will bring me a 300XS sometime before next year. But I guess that's all up to Mercury to make it first.

Hydro-T20
08-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I want to get Cleaver for the Skater. :D I really have no idea what to look for when it comes to props like this. I know that Choppers have big ears and not so big of ears!! Are Cleaver the same way? Also I thought that Cleaver don't like alot weight also, is this true or false? Thanks for any help, Chuck.

Hi! Just bought a Mach SternCleaver 14.5" x 29" for my Hydrolift T20(V-bottom..), I`m no pro when it comes to propellers-and i`m sure that there is alot of people here that know more than me about the subject.
But for my boat this propeller handels Perfect, the balance and handlig is truly awesome Compared to the Ballistic 4-blade that I ran before the Cleaver, this was a 13 3/4" x 25". And it`s alot more smooth in the water-no vibrations and so on..
The Cleaver is designed for boats that pick`s themselves out of the water, like the catamarans, and they give a "neutral bowlift", or at least that`s what people call it around here..
Not as much bowlift as the Choppers in other words...
But as the other guy in here also said, they like surface and high revs..but when riding the prop at surface the revs come to -At least on my boat:)
As for weight-they don`t like it, or at least that`s my experience with it..The difference of riding my boat alone with a full tank and compared to when I have 2 or 3 passengers is huge! Not as easy to get the bow up if you know what I mean...And the speed drops abit too I have noticed...
As for RPM`s I don`t have any info for you since my tach went haywire just before i got the Cleaver, but I can truly hear a difference in the engine when riding..
As for the question of having a prop with the exhaust-hub or not, the ones with the hub is abit more steady for boats with V-bottoms..On the cat`s I see that there is more without the hub than with, so here there may not be that problem, and the ones without the hub is abit faster up into plane I have been told..
Hopes this helps, and again there are people in here with more experience than me when it come to this subject....this is just what I have been told by people when I was looking for a Cleaver, and some I have experienced for myself-with the weight and so..