PDA

View Full Version : 05 Voyager XT Setup for skiing

GalenGates
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey there, This is my first post since joining.... (I really enjoy reading this message board).

I recently purchased an 05 HydroStream Voyager XT w/ a Merc 250XS Optimax. I am running a 24p 4 blade trophy prop with the solid PVS plugs in and the exhaust seal ring installed. I also have a CMC jack running with about 6 inches of setback. This boat runs like a mad man and I'm really happy with the top end and handling. BUT... when we want to ski and wakeboard the boat just won't remain stable at the lower speeds. It experiences excessive porpoising after the skier is up and it's unsettling to say the least. Is there a better prop out there for me... or do I need to look at adding ballast to the front on ski / play days? Thanks in advance.

Galen N. Gates

hsbob
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
add a set of doel fins they will really help in the hole shot and at water skiing speed help reduce the porposing. they only $30. my opinion is you got the best prop for watering. us the medium PSV plugs. i use both the tempest and trophy on my Voyager w 200xs.

stokernick
08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
if you're porpising at water ski speeds drop your jackplate deeper and your trim in,that should stabilize your ride IMHO!:D

redFish
08-06-2005, 06:10 AM
I own an 04 Vegas XT with a 300X. I use a 6 inch hydraulic jackplate. The Vegas is the exact same bottom as the voyager-only the top half is different. I also use it for a ski boat. It does not make a good ski boat unless you do a couple of things. First you must install a set of 5 degree transom wedges. This will allow you to achieve more negative trim for holeshot and the 25-35 mph range where the porpoising occurs. This will mostly eleminate porpoising. The wedges can be purchased from Rickracers or other boat parts houses. Second you may need to add ballast to the front of the boat. I use 2 inner tubes that I inflate with 60 lbs of water each and use a bungy chord to hold them in the tip of the nose. Some times I just use one tube. This allows planeing to happen much sooner. This may not be as big of an issue for your voyager since it already weighs 150 lbs more and all of the extra weight is from the windshield foreward. The vegas/voyager can be a lot of fun with a big motor. I have run 102 mph with mine using a 28 lightening et. My ski prop is either a 25 trophy or a 26 lightening et. Hope you get figured out. redFish

vonnie
08-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Galen,you may try using a 19 Trophy for the wakeboard/tubing days as it will keep you on plane and the prop hooked up better then the larger wheels.I use one on my 05 Voyager/225x combo and it works great for that although it hits the rev limiter at 62 mph.I have a reworked 23 large hub trophy that works as my allround prop and am experimenting with 26 pitch stuff for top end.I have also added a Mike Ray foil that seems to help on holeshot as well so a foil will be a good idea as well.Maybe try lowering your engine a half inch or more to improve holeshot and prop grip if you do primarily ski/wakeboard/tubing stuff.

vonnie
08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Galen,what are you getting for top end with that 24 trophy?Where is your propshaft to hull bottom split when you are fully jacked down?If your looking for more top end the trophy may not be the best prop,a 26 chopper or Lightning et is actually easier to drive on that hull(or at least my hull) and that 250 should have no trouble running a 26 close to the rev limiter.

GalenGates
08-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi all, Thank you for the replies.... as of now I get about 86 mph on the top end. I run the engine all the way jacked up and the prop is running about an inch or so below the pad. When I bought the boat I talked to Jim Contzen (HydroStream owner) and he said a 27p Trophy might be a good step up from the 24p. He said the 24p would be good as my "training wheels" until I was comfortable with the boat. As far as what I mostly do with the boat...... Well, I love to drive it like a bat outa hell! But I do ski ocassionally. Again, thanks for the advice.... gotta run off to work now.

satt
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Galen

What gearcase are you running with your 250XS? Was your 86 mph run with your 24" Trophy and if so at what rpm's?

pyro
10-28-2005, 06:35 AM
if you're porpising at water ski speeds drop your jackplate deeper and your trim in,that should stabilize your ride IMHO!:D

Listen to the man, he's right. Dropping it lower lets more of the gearcase respond to the negative trim. A whale tail will also help, as long as the motor has been dropped and tucked for skiing where it can help.

-Chad

satt
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Lowering the engine may help a little with the porpoising, but another problem occurs at wakeboarding and skiing speeds (22mph-32mph). With my experiences in trying to setup my 2003 Voyager XT with a 225 EFI for skiing, I’ve found that the torque from the 3.0 L engine causes the boat to list to the port side when the engine is trimmed “in” all the way. If you trim the engine out then the porpoising starts again. Shifting weight around did not help the listing problem. Adding a hydrofoil may make things worse at slow speeds. This is just my thoughts.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Craig