PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Xt Props ?????

jeffbare
08-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I have had my Vegas for a month, and have only run a 26" Mazco RE4. I am going to try my 28" Chopper this weekend, what should I expect as a change in the performance and running attitude?
Thanks,
Jeff

pyro
08-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Every Mazco is a little different because most of them get custom-tuned at the factory.

Choppers are good all-around performers on the Vegas. They aren't too good in their stock form, but with some proper tweaking and re-working, they can perform very well on your hull. You may find the holeshot ventilation to be annoying, thei is greatly reduced with an appropriate prop tune-up.

Try a Trophy Plus, Tempest Plus, or SRX if you get the chance. These are also good props for the XT.

-Chad

Fish
08-02-2005, 06:38 AM
I have not driven a vegas, but in general, you can expect a bit more bowlift from the chopper.

imq707s
08-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I've ran several different kinds of props on my Vegas XT.....24,26,28 Choppers, Rakers, 4-blade Shooters & Renagades, a 5-blade Yamaha style, and a few SRX props.

You will probably notice that your chopper will like to cavitate a bunch when you take off. With the 24 chopper that I've got, it will rev up to around 5500 rpms when I stomp on the gas....then it will hook and the rpms will drop back down. It's a little strange if you are not used to it. The first time I ran a chopper, I thought something was wrong with it. Pyro is right....most choppers will benifit from some extra "tweaking". Usually the leading edge is rolled and/or some extra cupping is added to the blade tips.

By far my favorite prop has been my DAH worked 27 SRX. It has more lift than most choppers I've ran, and it doesn't cavitate nearly as bad on takeoff....it's also the fastest prop I've found. The only prop that I haven't been able to get my hands on it a Trophy, I've heard that they are awsome on a Vegas...and most other boats. :D

jeffbare
08-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Does the chopper run at a higher heigth than the Mazco re4?
Thanks,
Jeff

pyro
08-03-2005, 07:19 AM
With 4" to 8" setback, the stock chopper will run well at 1" to 2" under the pad.
A de-cuttered lightly-extra-cupped chopper will run 0-even to 1.5" under the pad, probably the same with the Mazco for top end.

My RE3 runs its best with it dead-even at the pad, with 5" setback and near-neutral trim. Runs REALLY flat, no bow lift. From the dirver's seat, it almost looks like the bow is curved down. Barely any torque steer. Really loose, very touchy to handle because it needs a very quick, trained steering nudge here and there to keep it flying straight. Most experienced V-hull drivers would say that it actually handles very easy, and I would have to agree.

With a 26p trophy plus and a passenger, I could hold the wheel straight at 75 mph once I had it on the pad, and it would drive itself. LOTS of response to positive trim when you need bow lift.

My "play" prop is an de-weedcuttered extra-cupped "Aquaholic" 24p big-ear chopper. I get on plane with barely any ventilation slip unless I have a full boat of passengers. I can hit 70 mph at 6500 rpm with 600 lbs of passengers and driver aboard. I see 72-75 mph with one passenger, and a consistent 74-75 mph at 6600-6800 rpm with solo driver, this prop has frightening, bow-kiting lift! If you trim it way out with solo driver, the bow slowly bobs up and down in the wind in rhythm, and if you hit some rollers, it gets scary. This is my favorite, all around prop.

A stock 28p big-ear chopper used to get me a best of 78.8 with a solo driver, and 75 mph with a passenger. But my motor had more guts back then, it needs a re-build now, only 105-115 psi under the heads anymore...

-Chad

imq707s
08-03-2005, 07:20 AM
It's really hard to say, it all depends on your exact prop, hull & setup. Your propshaft heights should be somewhere around 1"-2" below the pad. On my Vegas, if I go any higher than 1"….I don't gain any top end, but I loose a bunch of holeshot and I get a lot of slip at lower speeds. What kind of propshaft height are you running now?

jeffbare
08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
I really haven't looked to see. With the hydraulic jack plate, I play with it quite a bit. I don't know if the 28 chopper has been worked at all, but with a load it isn't much fun. My Mazco RE4 does much better. With just me in the boat the chopper is fast, I am geting a lot of chine walk, and really can't tell what my top speed is. (My speedo isn't much good after 60 mph.) With a load, the boat never felt like I was getting the lifting characteristics, but I had around 800 lbs onboard. I realize with such high weights I really can't expect much. I think that the chopper can run a little higher in the pad than the Mazco, does that seem right?
thanks,
Jeff

blkmtrfan
08-05-2005, 08:40 AM
jeffbare

are you coming to the rally at the columbia river sept 9-10?

If so I may be able to help a little on the chinewalk in the XT, let me know

imq707s
08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I have ran a Mazco RE4 before....it will have a better holeshot than a chopper because you have an extra blade. From what I can remember, the RE4 didn't chinewalk much either...so your findings are pretty normal.

I think with a chopper, you are just going to have to get some more seat time in the boat to learn how to deal with the chine walk.

If your chopper is stock...you might want to have some extra cup added to the blades. That really seems to help them out.

pyro
08-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Nothing will make it fly with 800 lbs on board, the sponsons will not break free from the water with that much load. Prop lift, setback, as well as aerodynamic and hydrodynamic lift, are collectively not enough to get it onto its narrow pad at anything less than 90 mph, which would require 300+ HP to do, anyway.

Experience each prop as a solo driver, and then again with a passenger. Now, add a third passenger and a cooler and compare. The prop that runs fastest without load is probably going to be the worst all-around prop. The one that runs the best with a load will probably not have as good of top end. Find a happy medium that fits your boating style. If you will be carrying one passenger most of the time, run something that does its best under these conditions.

Keep one solo top end prop, one "all-around" versatile prop, and possibly one for skiing and maybe another for drag racing if you have a drag-worthy boat. :D That will cover all the bases, and it will drive your girlfriend/wife/family crazy, seeing you always buying another propand making excuses why you need to get another one. Always say that you're selling one after each one you buy.

See here to read about how my 29p RE3 runs, with pictures: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66424

-Chad

blkmtrfan
08-05-2005, 09:47 AM
it will drive your girlfriend/wife/family crazy, seeing you always buying another propand making excuses why you need to get another one. Always say that you're selling one after each one you buy.

-Chad

:D :D

I still deal with that pretty regularly ;)

There is always one more I just have to try :D

jeffbare
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Blkmtr,
I think we are going to try to make it over there. It will be a last minute decision, my wife is a 3rd grade teacher, and will have just started school. How many people and/or boats do you think will make it there?
Jeff

blkmtrfan
08-08-2005, 02:36 PM
If eariler comments are any indication Jeff, there should be 2-3 dozen boats. I am thinking about bringing the thread back to the top in a couple weeks just to remind everyone;)

Should be a blast :cool:

So calling in a substitute the first week is a bad idea :confused: :D

THE HOGG
08-08-2005, 03:47 PM
what prop for drag racin'?? i'm hopin to be light enough to atleast compete in the vintage class.

jeffbare
08-10-2005, 04:22 PM
I ran the boat yesterday, and use your suggestions of running it flat. I still need a little positive trim, but it ran better than it has in the past. I was running the 28 chopper. I don't have a gps, and my spedo really doesn't do much over 60 mph, but it felt like atleast 70mph. It takes a long time to get the rpms up, is that normal?
Jeff

blkmtrfan
08-10-2005, 05:12 PM
It takes a long time to get the rpms up, is that normal?
Jeff

When you are running flat it does accelerate a little slower because there is more wetted hull surface area until the air packs in the tunnels.

You could try your acceleration runs with positive trim and then trim down as the speed increases and you will probably find that the RPM's do come up quicker, but you may have to drive it a little more (chine walk).

Once again, seat time ;)