PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody tell me

fastboat
07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
how to get off an email list? Will deleting cookies do the trick. I have started to get spam, that I never got before.

Racemore
07-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Im waiting to here that answer,I'm getting more crap and I can't make it go away. :mad: :cool:

pyro
07-27-2005, 06:10 PM
You can't. You have to prevent this problem, it cannot be effectively treated. It has NOTHING to do with cookies, leave them alone. Here's how to PREVENT spam, BEFORE you start getting it.

Don't post your e-mail address ANYWHERE on the internet, even HTML "e-mail me" links. Programs called "crawlers" or "robots" will scan random web pages automatically, looking for e-mail addresses to collect. S & F is safe, because you cannot get someone's address here, you can only send them mail through the system. DON'T post your e-mail addres in your "for sale" threads! Tell people to e-mail you through the system instead.

Don't send or forward those stupid internet postcards. Mpany of those are e-mail address collectors. How do you think they make money?

Don't send or pass chain letters. They contain the entire e-mail address history of the chain. Very valuable in quantity, to a spammer. That's one reason why they are created.

Spammers sometimes send e-mails with unique "identifiers." The e-mail may sometimes contain images. the trick is, they use a special line of code to retrieve the image from their server, and the code contains an ID that indicates to their server that YOU are reading the e-mail, and what your address is. Thus, it validates your e-mail address and now your name is widel, and openly "for sale" on the black market.

Get spam killer software. Many ISP's already use this software in their own e-mail system, but you have to log into their web site and enable it, and indicate which level of security you want. Many people don't realize this.

Update Outlook Express. Newer versions are set up to block images in e-mail to help reduce spam, you can override this function if needed.

You cannot delete yourself from their lists. Do NOT use the "unsubscribe me" link in their e-mails!! They use this to validate your e-mail address, so they can send you more junk. Do NOT reply to the e-mails.

Any measures that the spam killers utilize to stop spam, is constantly being undermined by the spammers. It's psychological warfare. Now they have programs that randomly generate e-mail addresses and attempt to send e-mails. The ones that don't bounce baclk undeliverable are added to their list. Nobody is safe.

Change your e-mail address and get a fresh start. Choose an annoying, long e-mail address, "AtLeastTenLettersLong@YourIsp.com." This will make it harder for your address to be randomly generated.

-Chad

Fish
07-27-2005, 06:34 PM
can't get a much better answer than that. :)

One of the things Chad hit on is the spam filter from your ISP. My spam was getting so bad that I was getting over a hundred per day. I turned my spam filter on the highest level and it rocks! Now pretty much only get the email I want, none of the crap.
takes a little effort, but well worth it.