PDA

View Full Version : Question: Hull Blueprinting???

Cooderdog
07-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Formost, I am a forum newbie and wish to thank all of you for a very interesting and most informative wealth of information... The knowledge base is simply stunning!! I dabbled with GP Class Hydros (The Orange Crush) many-many years ago and have always had a HP boat or two...... Divorced combined with the death of a dear friend, both a result of those go fast boats had me rethink....

Anyway, I find myself turning the big 50, retired and freak'in bored.... I figure it's time to wipe the dust off of a few goodies and get back into this not for the faint hearted hobby and/or full time insanity..... Depends upon your perspective, you guys know...

Anyway... My first posting is a question: What exactly is blueprinting a hull?

I have read several postings that have mentioned hull blueprinting... I have assumed this is a tolerance specification compliance per the design... Well, as you know, never assume, it could kill you.........

Flashypaint
07-27-2005, 12:51 AM
welcome aboard ..
Blueprinting is in simple terms removing imperfections. making the surface smooth-flat and sharping the corners. Some hulls have a rocker or hook built in which doesnt mean removing these in some types of hulls.

Cooderdog
07-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Flashypaint...

Thanks for the reply --- I was really trying to over complicate hull blueprinting....

Rickracer
07-27-2005, 06:12 AM
...would be nice, razor sharp edges on all strakes and the transom, something that would be very difficult to produce out of a mold, but very important to speed and handling. It is also not that important to 98% of all boat buyers, just to those of us that are addicted to adrenaline. :cool:

Cooderdog
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
I hear you! Addiction and /or obsession is certainly my problem combined with the dreadful disease of total perfection. My two (2) boys now grown can handle the addiction part, but the perfection component does get on their nerves. You know, these youngsters want instant gratification.

Blueprinting our current hull has already been accomplished, though, we utilized the term 'Tuning'.... Old school terms??? Obviously, we have much to learn!!

The boat "Amnesia" per our project timeline, God willing, will be competing in the 2006 SDRA events, can't wait and hopefully we will bring something worthwhile to the table in the spirit of 'Good Business/Sportmanship'......

Again, you guys/gals have developed a great site, the work and participation certainly is recognized... Simply stunning!!

Our moto: 'Dance like Nobody is Watching'

Looking forward....