PDA

View Full Version : If not Digital SLR what about 35mm SLR?

Mike2002
07-23-2005, 04:03 PM
What are some good 35mm SLR cameras?

Looking for the long telephoto lens too. What are the models?

What 35mm be better than digital if I wanted to blow up a photo to poster size? I would love to have a running shot of my boat blown up to poster size!

Thanks,

Mike2002

Jay R.
07-23-2005, 04:08 PM
digital SLR would be better. is price why your thinking 35MM? walmart has the cannon rebel EOS for $198 with lens.

Mike2002
07-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Price is maybe one reason but I thought I read somewhere that film photo's can be blown up to poster size without distortion.

As far as price goes can you get a 35 mm SLR camera that can do everything a D70 Nikon or even a D50 or maybe even more for a better price?

What about telephoto lens for taking long shots at passing boats?

Again give me suggestions, please.

Thanks,

Mike2002

Scream And Fly
07-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Mike,

Digital SLR cameras use the same lenses as film cameras, although there are a lot of newer lenses designed for digital camera bodies in mind. Yes, film makes great enlargements, but so do digital files.

My opinion: If you can, go with digital. There are many more options for editing and other digital enhancements than can easily be done with film negatives.

Greg

Jay R.
07-24-2005, 02:18 PM
absolutly, if you can afford it, you will get more out of a quality digital SLR than you will out of the same quality film camera

ApolloImaging
07-25-2005, 12:45 PM
What are you defining as "poster size"?

I have blown up product shots from a Canon D60 (6 megapixels) to 4'x8' for tradeshows, so yes digital can produce big enlargements.

The cost of film can get pricey as well, after buying the film and processing it can easily be $10 or so a roll. That will add up pretty quickly if it takes you lots of film to get the shot you are looking for.

As far as cheap teles many companies make 75-300mm lenses that should work fine for you.

My opinion-get a digital and learn how to use it.

Mike2002
07-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I looked at some of the Digital cameras at a Ritz outlet in Myrtle Beach last week. I looked at the Sony 12X H1, the Nikon D70,D50 and the new Canon Rebel XT. The salesman was a Canon guy but said the Nikon D70 was the better camera even though it was a 6mp vs. 8mp. The D70 is really big too vs. the D50. He said the Sony was OK if you could not afford the SLR but it was limited in what you could do with it. I liked these cameras but it sounds like I would have a $1000 in camera and starter lens, + $150 for some memory cards, $30 for case, + $300 for a cheaper telephoto lens = $1500 to get started. That's alot of mula.

Poster size is bigger than 11X17" and bigger.

So if I had a D50, D70 or the Canon XT I could blow up the photo to 11X17 or even bigger with no distortion? What is the cost of doing this? Can any photo shop do it?

What if I had a single frame from a digital Video, could this frame be captured and blown up also?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Mike2002

Scream And Fly
07-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Mike, yes- you can easily get an enlargement from the cameras you mention. Negative on the video still image enlargement. Your best bet for enlargements is to talk to Lamar at Apollo Imaging. You can literally send him the file and he'll get you what you need. His prices can't be beat, and you'll get top quality.

Spend the extra money on the camera - it's worth it.

Greg

AxisMoto
08-05-2005, 01:20 AM
I own a selection of film and digital SLRs (including 35mm and 120mm medium format). I've been paid to shoot for several major magazines, including the big P.

First, good film is better than good digital, so if you are looking for ultimate quality and don't want to spend over $1500 or $2000 on camera, then film is the way to go. If I want "best" results, I will always reach for the film camera.

That being said, I would recommend that you buy the best digital SLR you can afford. Digital is becoming more and more prevalent, and up to 11" or so you probably won't be able to tell the difference between digital and film.

I like Nikon stuff, but I'm currently shooting with an Olympus E-20N, as it pretends to be a pro camera (advanced features) while still being "consumer" oriented (easy to use, nice packaging). If you are truly looking to build a collection of multiple lenses and accessories, Nikon is hard to beat (as the lenses are the best in the world, ranging from $75 to over $10k, and they will offer any conceivable accessory). This holds true for digital or film - many of the lenses are intended for both systems.

Also, for best results, determine what format your processor wants - they will have a preferred file type and size.

-David, AxisMoto

ps - while my camera can produce 16meg files (amazing quality), 99% of the stuff I shoot is on the lowest quality setting (60k file) - and this is where the digital really shines - I can shoot 100 "practice" shots, and then later pick which ones to save as big files and which to delete, saving $100s over film system...

dcphotos
09-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I used a nikon D70 when I shoot racing and a 70-300mm lens.
I can easly blow up my photos to and 20x30 print . I also shoot large format on my cards. Yes they can cost money, but well worth the money.