PDA

View Full Version : Hey Greg

Rich Owen
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Greg what flash do you use on the D70 ? Pros /cons ?

Scream And Fly
07-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Rich,

I use an SB600 most of the time. I like it because it's a little lighter than the SB800 and has a faster recharge between flashes. It can also remotely trigger other SB600s and your camera can also trigger it in command mode.

It's not quite as powerful as the SB800, though, and it does not include a diffuser. Also, the SB800 is a better commander flash - that is, if you're using multiple flash units at once.

I get about 200 flashes on a full charge, which is pretty good.

Greg

Rich Owen
07-14-2005, 01:26 PM
That's the flash I've been looking at . Did you get a diffuser ? If so which one ?
I just picked up a 80-200 ED 2.8 . It's 6 years old but doesn't have a scratch on it . Is yours the image stabilization model ? That one looks way cool .

Scream And Fly
07-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Rich,

I don't have a diffuser, but I plan to pick one up prior to Miami next year. You'll be very pleased with the SB-600. It has plenty of output and serves me very well. I also like the high sync speed of the Nikon DSLR cameras too.

From what I hear the 80-200 2.8 is an awesome lens. I have a 70-200VR 2.8 AF-S, which has stabilization and it's a marvel. Extremely fast and sharp.

On another note...

We just bought Maureen a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with the 18-55 and the 75-300 USM IS lens. I tried it out last weekend, and it's a great little package. I'm very impressed with that camera.

Greg

http://img53.echo.cx/img53/7094/0015lv.jpg

great adventure
07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
dear greg,

how are you, long time I did not talk woth you.. and i hope you remember me
emmmm i thinking to buy digita slr camera like nikon d70, cannon rebel or
daynax 7 minolta. which one is the best do you think...

my choise is nikon d70 but i hear few people talking about few problems..
even with the new one d70s.. what do you think..

tell me what type of zoom you are using for taking pic. for speed boats..

thank you and hope to hear from you soon..

ga :D

Spd-Kilz
07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey Greg, give me back my camera please when you're done with it:D

150aintenuff
07-20-2005, 01:51 AM
just bought my wife the same rebel XT to go along with her 35mm cannon, claimed maximum shutter is 1:4000 so do me a favor, since my wife wont let the new camera out of its bag unless it is zero chance of damage from anything, see if the camera performs as well as the nikon... and do another frozen prop pic with maureen's camera. I know i will be lucky to even get a pic of me running the boat at a distance of 200 yds let alone a water shot like you got... they are nice cameras indeed..

Scream And Fly
07-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Yousif,

Great to see you here - do you have anymore pictures of projects you're working on?

I think all three choices you mentioned are great cameras. If I had to eliminate one, it would be the Minolta. There are a lot of reports of tilted sensors and backfocus issues. It's possible Minolta solved that by now, though.

The Canon/Nikon debate is almost as old as the Ford/Chevy debate. It all boils down to which lens system you like best. As my friend Lamar says (very accurately), the lens is most responsible for producing a great image. Well, in addition to the skills of the photographer, of course, which cannot be understated. I have experienced no problems with the D70, and I find it to be very fast and easy to handle. It captures great photos without the weight of the D2x - and that's very important when you're on boats all day with a camera around your neck.

The Rebel XT takes fantastic images, however, its low pass filter is stronger than that of the Nikon, which means it will not capture as much fine details. Ultimately, the Nikon is slightly faster, in my experience. Keep in mind though, that the Canon lenses are generally more affordable than their Nikon counterparts. If flash sync speed is important to you, then you should consider that that Nikon has twice the sync speed of the Canon (1/500 sec vs. 1/250 sec).

Finally, the Rebel has a very small body - some feel too small. It's best to try them out first before you buy. Either way, you can't go wrong though. You'll be very pleased with any of those cameras.

My opinions on performance as compared to the D70 are as follows: The Rebel XT and D70 both focused very fast at the same apertures, so there's no problem there. It seemed to me that the Canon's focus sensor was not quite as accurate as the Nikon's though. It was easier "confused", but I don't think it would be a problem. The differences are slight though. These slight differences can also be a product of the lenses used (which had similar specs).

Nick,

When Maureen was here I had a chance to play with the Rebel XT (350D) and I was very impressed with that camera. It's 99% as good as the 20D, and that makes perfect sense, since it's also newer. Yes, it can shoot a maximum shutter of 1/4000 sec, but chances are you'll never go that high. Maureen has the camera with her in NY, but she'll be using it for some tests for articles soon. :)

Greg