PDA

View Full Version : Lower Unit Paint Job??

Moodgam
07-09-2005, 08:43 AM
What's the trick to painting a Merc lower unit and preventing the paint from coming off?

Jay R.
07-09-2005, 08:48 AM
don't put it in the water or go fast

pyro
07-09-2005, 09:05 AM
It's all in the prep work. Degrease the surface, sand it good, nice and fine, prime it, paint it. Put several coats on it, wet sand lightly with 2000, and then polish it back out. This will smooth out any orange peel and make it shiny and smooth.

Then, after a few trips out, the fairing around the torque tab and any nosecone epoxy will likely crack through the new paint. You'll run it through some sand and lose paint off the skeg. Blah, blah, blah...

1BadAction
07-11-2005, 09:39 PM
don't put it in the water or go fast

Blah hahahahaaa...

that or have it powdercoated.

RJSHADOW8021
07-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I HAVE DONE SEVERAL FOR PEOPLE... first if it is stripped to metal or if there is any metal showing i use aluminum cleaner and then the treatment that puts the corrosion protection in the alluminum then i use a zinc etching primer (yellow) then i sand that and paint it with imron...
all the other stuff you can get through awl grip :cool:

brotherxb03
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
It don't matter what you paint it with,if your boat run's in the high 70's plus it won't stay on.The last time I did mine I use urithane and it held up a lot better,but to keep it looking good you will have to restrip and paint twice a year.

John Dorn
07-16-2005, 07:40 AM
I’ve tried Imron. It did holed up the longest, but in the end every thing I tried came off. I ended up painting it with black primer. It still looked good (not as good as shiny new paint) but unlike paint you can touch it up anytime you need to. Other then that, dump the noise cone set up and pick up a sport master.

johnt
07-16-2005, 09:33 AM
I read a post on another site, fastbass I think, someone was just using self etching primer to paint the lower and just had to touch it up once in a while. Said it looks great. My lower still looks great after coming back from Titus but think I will try this after some miles. Might wet sand the primer to keep it smooth though.

Corona Mike
07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
The best thing I have found for a do-it-yourself non body man, is to sand it good,--not down to bare metal or you will have to use the etching primer--prime it with the regular grey or black primer, re-sand it lightly--400 or 600, and paint it with hi-temp. BBQ grill/header paint. Wallmart sells it in black gloss as well as the flat black. Make sure before you prime it, to use the surface prep. you can get it at Wallmart also. I've run mine for a couple of years--just touching it up from "sand scratches" and it holds up better than anything I've tried.

outboards4life
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
dupont 1120 grey primer
and dupont centari black only part that has come off so far in two years is a little bit on the skeg.