PDA

View Full Version : Optimax Trouble

BK
05-18-2001, 06:06 PM
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/

Check this link for info about Mercury stopping production on two of its most popular 2001 OptiMax engine models because of performance problems related to carbon build-up and rough running.

05-18-2001, 07:06 PM
But carbon build up and rough running? Anyone having flashbacks to Ficht?????

LaveyT
05-18-2001, 07:23 PM
Another Injected disaster?Man,watching OMC go through it,now Merc?I hope not,hopefully Merc can learn something from OMC troubles.I think they used new fuel curves and new injectors.Ya better buy the dirty outboards for now.It will be about 10 years before I buy one!They should have them worked out by then.

BK
05-18-2001, 07:50 PM
Sorry about the registration part.

The article stated that this buildup problem was caused by on "outside part manufacturer" changing specs on a part without Merc's knowledge. This change is what is causing the problems, so Mercury claims all they have to do is replace that particular part in those motors that are affected. (They also claim there weren't that many involved).
I hope that's all.

sosmerc
05-18-2001, 07:50 PM
It will be a shame if Merc suffers as badly as OMC and their endless Ficht problems. I owned a '98 135hp Optimax for two seasons and it was flawless. I used it as a demo and finally sold it to one of my customers so I will be able to track it's progress thru the years. I believe the engines in question now are 3.0 litre 200 and 225's. Since the EPA has to "certify" all engines now it becomes a problem whenever a manufacturer wants or needs to make changes. It takes alot of time to "re-map" the ECU and then wait for EPA approval. We won't see any more 2001 Optimax 3.0 litre engines....but they will no doubt return as 2002 models when they figure out the problem.
My biggest gripe about all of the Optimax and 3.0 litre standard production engines is their poor cowling design. They are way too heavy and access to components is really frustrating. They are difficult to work on...not because they are so complicated, but because access is so poor. Too bad the engineers never really try to work on these things after they been in the field for awhile. Don't get me started....I won't be able to stop. Give me an old high performance outboard setup anyday!!

ODDD1
05-18-2001, 11:55 PM
SOSMERC, i agree on the cowl.......had a 3.0 opti in today that had an idiot light on, the customer complaining about his 44 grand package breaking......the guy pulled his cowling off to look around an snagged the air temp sensor wires when he dropped the cowl back on! those cowls are damned heavy...god forbid you gouge one on a neww motor....got noise about havin to pay for parts on a motor in warrantee.....LOL

AlaskaStreamin
05-19-2001, 01:55 AM
Our Harbor patrol boat has one of these gems. Yep.. A 2001 225 Optimax. It surges so bad between 1200 and 1500 rpm's that if it was on a fiberglass boat the transom would be torn off. Since our Merc dealer went Ka-put we had to send the boat on the trailer to a nearby town via the ferry ($500.00) so they and the merc rep could figure it out. They said it was fixed and returned it. Well it ran the exact same. This has been going on for five months now. I called the dealer today and they read me the letter Merc sent them. They aren't sending out anymore 2001 models but will have the 2002's ready soon. In the mean time a new box is being sent up. That's been over a month. Our plugs are very sooty and I agree with the above post about the cowls. They SUCK!!! Holy blow your back Batman! Talk about an ergonomic nightmare. Anyone ever try changing the sparkplugs on these guys??? Good luck!! I hope Merc gets their act together or we'll be getting a Yammie next time. I don't think the boss will go for a 300 ProMax.

sosmerc
05-19-2001, 09:36 AM
Seems that all DFI plugs get pretty "sooty" rather quickly.
I hear Merc now has their own brew of synthetic oil specially for the Optimax. Has anyone tried Amsoil "injector oil" in these engines? It does seem to make sense that full synthetic oil might work better in these engines.
On a similar note, I have a customer with a 2000 model 3 litre 250hp. EFI that smokes something awful on startup. After the engine is fully warmed up it does just fine. He had a 99 225 EFI and it did the same thing. Both of these engines are perfect runners, but I noticed that they both
dump gobs of gas/oil/water out of the tiny drain holes for the driveshaft housing. What a mess it makes in my test tank!! The EPA would have a field day. Anyway, this year I am going to try and get him to switch to Amsoil just to see if it reduces start-up smoke and the nature of this black ejaculate! (he has always run Merc Premium Plus). One thing about these 3.0 litre motors...when I do a de-winterize I don't have to worry about mosquitos around my shop for some time!