PDA

View Full Version : Proper Propping?

B.Mac
05-18-2001, 11:29 AM
Ok guys, please save me alot of guesswork?
SETUP....18' Hydrostream Vector,Dual rack steering, jackplate w/ 6" setback, 88 200 Merc, LWP/Bobs cone, relieved exhaust, t/o/w, hotfoot, want to run shaft @ pad height. Tried 28P round eared chopper. Very, very difficult coming up & out, but once there the acceleration is awesome, cant give info on pitch -vs- RPM cause I'm freakin at 4000 RPM around 60MPH, I assume this will spin every bit of 6000 just dont have the experience yet to take it there. Problem...... I rode in a completed Vector w/ 150 Merc and it seemed to "float" over the water. I dont remember the prop. Rather than buy that one I rigged mine from scratch.
Mine seemed to be very fast but felt as if I was "in" rather than "floating over" the water. Nothing in front at all, 12 gal tank in rear. Question........Do most Vectors run w/ choppers or cleavers? Will a cleaver get me "over" the water? Better hole shots? I keep hearing reference to clevers giving stern lift and better hole shots due to "low rake" whatever that is.....Right now this chopper feels like I'm doing a moonshot trying to get up & out. I know I need seat time but this just doesnt seem like the right set up. Thanks guys I appreciate all your advise.
B.MAC

mxz
05-18-2001, 12:22 PM
BMAC,
I also have a Vector with an 81' 225 Merc, Setup is almost identical to yours. Also have a L&S jackplate w/4" of setback. My best prop is a 28" Mazco RE4. It spins 6300RPM at 81mph on GPS, propshaft just below the pad. Acceleration and getting on plane is great with this prop, I can even pull up a 180# slalom skier, think this is due to the extra blade. The "floating" feeling you are seeking is when the boat is up on pad. At 60mph I find that I am just getting up on the pad.When riding on the pad beware of the chine walk that will begin, you have to steer agians this, do not just try to drive through it. Keep practising driving at high speed, it took me a while to learn how to drive it wide open.
Not too sure about the different driving characteristics of a cleaver vs a chopper, I hope to try one of each early this Summer.
ps. My 13 gal. tank is in the bow of my boat. Last Summer I experimented running it with the tank in the back and did not see any speed difference, if anything the boat handles better at speed, doesn't porpoise as much while cruising and sits better when parked, not as much chance of a wash over the back by big waves.

Brent