PDA

View Full Version : massive prop walk? almost flipped!!

monigripp
06-28-2005, 05:38 PM
today while pulling a tube I almost flipped the boat over
16.5 Larson Wildfire, typical early 80s speed boat w merc 115
turning left the boat suddenly lifted so high on drivers side that my passengers arm which was resting on the side window fram got soaked. Very Very scary. The guy on the tube said he was sure we were going over from his vantage point.
I bought the boat to learn the ropes a little before I step into something really fast, I guess this will be the first lesson.
How do I correct this, is it the prop or something else. prop is brand new I think 26p but will double check if necessary

monigripp
06-28-2005, 05:43 PM
also motor turns about 4800 rpm, isnt that a little low for 115 inline?

Hot Shot Merc
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Probably wouldnt happen if not towing a tuber.The nose dropped and it spun out :p Heres a pic of me in my dads wildfire when I was nine years old.I'm 36 now.It was a great learning boat. http://home.comcast.net/~hotshotmerc/boat4.jpg

monigripp
06-28-2005, 06:08 PM
the thing is it didnt feel like there was any slide, the boat was hooked up and seemed to turn harder, only at an extreme angle. I guess I will have to go with your experience with the boat
Maybe ill try to duplicate the condition without the tube and see how it acts
thanks

jeffbare
06-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I have a 18' Sidewinder that does the same thing. Nothing to worry about, it was probably just riding up on the side of the V.

Trikki1010
06-28-2005, 06:51 PM
We had a 16' Sidewinder w/ a 100 Evinrude V-4 that used to do that sometimes.

Kinda like Rob's Sidewinder, but with the windshield still intact.... ;)

You can feel it out when it wants to high side when towing and just straighten out and you can get back into the turn again. We actually did a 180 in rough water that way. Scared the crap out of us, but here we are almost 30 years later :eek: :D

Hot Shot Merc
06-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Ares was called a Wild fire by Larson and others have the Side winder.Who did the splash??? :D

monigripp
06-28-2005, 07:01 PM
so I shouldnt be concerned?
and I say this only half seriously, is it safe to do? meaning the boat will only slide as opposed to phisically roll to the inside? cause if so I would be much more confident in the boat. The physics of it all seems to make it very difficult to actually roll over to the inside of a turn but what do I know.
Thanks for all the replies, this is a great board

Trikki1010
06-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Ares was called a Wild fire by Larson and others have the Side winder.Who did the splash??? :D

Uh OH, not a splash issue :eek: :eek: :D

They are one and the same ;) Like brothers Rob ;)

Moni - Get used to the signs and beware. We have taken in water before, but then again, we were like 14 and had no brains at the time. :p

monigripp
06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
dont take that last post the wrong way, its surely not something I would try to do, I guess when someone says the boat "slides" I equate it to sliding a car or motorcycle, I race or have raced both in my day, and have always been known for "sliding" whatever I drive.
So I guess the simple answer is that the boat will take on water if you do this

brotherxb03
06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
It's probally the start of what some people call a bat turn,which allisons are prone to do if you chop off the throttle too fast and the v catches the water and spins you around.It may help if you get a ski tripod as not to jerk the boat around as much.Or get diffrent prop with more bow lift that holds the water better. And It could be dangerous if your speed is fast enough. I know a guy fishing in a blazer that was thrown out and broke his leg.

Riverman
06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Welcome to S&F. Now fill in your location!:confused: :confused:

Trikki1010
06-29-2005, 03:22 AM
dont take that last post the wrong way, its surely not something I would try to do, I guess when someone says the boat "slides" I equate it to sliding a car or motorcycle, I race or have raced both in my day, and have always been known for "sliding" whatever I drive.
So I guess the simple answer is that the boat will take on water if you do this

Sliding is one thing with THAT bottom, one of the quirks of that hull, is when you try to turn too tightly, the front plows and the back end wants to push sideways and not the front. If I recall, that's not a pad bottom so it has more of a tendency to want to be on one side of the V or the other on turns.

At tubing speeds, it will walk up on it's side. Never tried to turn that hard at speed, no reason and no good results ;)

hsbob
06-29-2005, 08:17 AM
my 15 ft checkmate did the same thing but only with skiiers. i tried trim tab and that didnt work. when it falls off the pad ti the side it scaries the s@@@ of of you. only way i could stop the action "sell the boat'. i've never had the same effect with any of my hydrostreams.

mendo
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Sometimes when I have more people on the passenger side of the boat and I turn that way my boat will ride up on the side too. If I trim up just a little it will settle right down flatter and finish the turn. I trim back down to drive the bow in for going strait while towing a skier, more hull in the water, easier to keep the boat tracking straight while the skier pulls it. Might work for you, have fun, be safe!

imq707s
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
How fast were you pulling the tube?

baja200merk
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
i did that whipping my friend into the beach... had a 17cmate wit a johnson gt100 did about 55 i had it goin and i was makin a hard left and the right side of the boat just hopped up pretty scary... i straitened the wheel a little and caught it my friend in the passenger seat said we were goin over... haha

what i used to do to this poor transom... launching it off 6-7 ft breakers hehehehe :eek:

monigripp
06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
sell the boat seems like a good solution, I tried like hell to get into a hydrostream but between not being able to work a deal on a clean one, and others advising me that I may be getting in over my head I decided on the wildfire. Wish I had done the hydrostream now as this 50 mph boat feels more dangerous than a 80 mph hydrostream could possibly be!
By the way I love this board and next year when I buy a new boat will get it from these classifieds

Hydrasports205
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
a lot of boats will do that with the right prop, trim angle, load, and turn radius. My hydrasports will do it, but only with a 4-blade large hub trophy. With any of the other props I've tried the phenomon has been non existent. It's like a lot of other things....once you know about it you can deal with it, but the first time it happens it's like W-T-F!!!

stvhelm
07-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Just curious but are you pulling with a ski pylon? if that thing is higher than the motor then I can see something like that happening. try using one of those pulley ropes that connects to the transom rings to get the tow rope lower.

baja200merk
07-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Just curious but are you pulling with a ski pylon? if that thing is higher than the motor then I can see something like that happening. try using one of those pulley ropes that connects to the transom rings to get the tow rope lower.
it happened to me while i had that transom eye trailer... ;)

kevin