PDA

View Full Version : Sub-help for my Vegas!

imq707s
06-28-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm thinking about putting a single 10" sub in the front of my Hydrostream Vegas. I've already got 2 6" Sony X-plode and 2 6x9 Sony X-plode speakers in there....but I need some bass.

What kind of amp will I need to run a single 10" sub? Will I need another battery just to power the amp? What's a good sub and amp that won't cost me much money?

Thanks

blkmtrfan
06-28-2005, 04:45 PM
You will not like it if you put a sub in the front of you Vegas, I did and it made it slower (you don't want any extra weight in the bow) and I took it out.

If you are determined to put one in, find a spot behind the back seat, probably on the port side to offset you weight when you are driving alone ;)

blkmtrfan
06-28-2005, 04:56 PM
But back to your question, if it was me I would try to keep the entire system as simple and light as possible. Perhaps an all in one like the bazooka tubes:

http://www.bazooka.com/productMarineAmplifiedBTs.asp

http://www.bazooka.com/productImages/179_m.jpg

I put one of the single 8" in my wife's car and it pounds pretty good

Extra battery, not a bad idea for getting home at the end of the day, or maybe one of those jump start do-dads

imq707s
06-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info. What would a single 10" sub, box, and Amp Weight? I wouldn't think that it would weigh more than 15lbs. Would I really notice that?

One of those bass cannons looks like a great idea, I might check them out.

Thanks again for the info. :D

pyro
06-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Powered Bazooka, DO IT!

It will fit easily in the back, not too heavy, you'd be surprised how much bass one of those 6.5" or 8" tubes will thump out. Get the GOOD one if you get one, the 150 Watt, not the 100. Power amp is already built-in.

If you do a component sub, go for an Infinity Perfect 10" dual voice coil sub, you can run it with any decent 100 X 2 of larger amp. Go easy on the volume at the sandbars so you can still start your motor. An extra battery on a switch never hurts for reserve power.

blkmtrfan
06-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info. What would a single 10" sub, box, and Amp Weight? I wouldn't think that it would weigh more than 15lbs. Would I really notice that?

You wouldn't think so, but ....

I had a small box with 2 each 8" in it probably weighed 20-25 lbs and stuck it up in the bow, honestly slowed down the top end 1-2 mph and you could feel it was harder to get air under the front. I know it isn't much weight, but think about the length of the lever arm ;) .

Not sure if you have noticed yet how the boat is faster when your passenger sits in the back compaired to the front. If you have a passenger sitting next to you, check your top speed. Then put that same passenger in the port side rear seat, and you will be faster :D

imq707s
06-29-2005, 07:51 AM
I know what you mean…..when I've got a passenger in the front seat, I can tell a big different in how the boat handles. When I've got 4 passengers and a cooler….it's a pig :D

bigbore
08-10-2005, 02:58 AM
you have to watch how much weight you put in the front.i had a 12 in the front of mine for a while and yes it does kinda screw with you bowlift.there probably is a center counsile type deal right up under the face of your shell (where your guages are at)if the center counsile is flush with the front of that you probably would be alright with a 10 in a small sealed box direcly in front of that after all there are descent 6s and 6+9s already there you might as well go all out and through in a sub.thats a pros and cons situation there are a lot of things to take in to consideration,the main one is the juice to supply the sub amp for an extended period of time lets face it a lot of the reason we want solid stereos is cause of the chill out spots,which means extended play.

Hydropimp911
08-13-2005, 06:45 AM
You can make a little ?Box upfront and make it enclosed so the vibration doesnt affect the boat to much and then just hook a 342 MTX Amp up to it it will sound sweet, the MTX 342 thunder marine amps sound amazing in the boats :D

Story
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Pros and cons are about the same. You will get more out of a box than a tube. You must corner load a tube in order to get anything out of it, all though I think its the way to go. Some come with a amp built-in with plugs. As far as a box goes, you will get about twice the out-put from a properly designed encloser for a given driver with the same amp power. There is a lot veraibles when designing a box. I can help!!!!

Give me a call 239-641-3968.
This is what I do for a living. Call me before you do anything. It may save you a lot of money :D

imq707s
08-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Well I picked up an 8" amplified Bazooka tube off of ebay pretty cheap. I installed it behind the rear seat....and it sounds amazing :D

I tried putting it up front and to tell you the truth.....it didn't sound much better way up in the bow. I think I'm just going to leave it behind the rear seat.

Thanks for all the tips and info....hopefully it won't drain my battery and leave me stranded :eek:

sho305
08-31-2005, 11:58 AM
So it sounds pretty good? Cool, I been wondering how a tube would work. The one in my car it can change the sound if you point it the other way also. The tubes are usually much lighter than boxes, so that is why I like them. The next boat I will have one or two and think I will use a jumper in there for extra power/starting. I have one that the charger broke and I been leaving in on cars or a low amp charger to charge for over a year now...it works fine that way. Plus you have a battery gauge/light/plug in for free, just need to unhook it when not running somehow...maybe I'll use a relay to hook it up when the motor is running and a way to jump if needed.

imq707s
08-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Yep.....it sounds much better than I thought it would. It actually sounds better when the boat is in the water....not really sure why.

I ran it for about 4 hours up pretty loud and it didn't even start to drain the battery. You can get those Bazooka tubes off of ebay pretty cheap. I got mine for around $60, but it was used.

sho305
08-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I've got amps laying around, so I was thinking about some 10"s and 12"s tubes I saw with no amps. Two of them should make some noise...:) Now if I can get back to boat project stuff I'll be all set. I was going to try it in my little 16' bayliner, but with the open bow there is zero room anywhere. I was thinking of putting a free air in there under a seat, but why bother if I'm going to sell it for the next project anyway.

triple dude
08-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Is the coffee can exhaust pipe next?? ;) :D

sho305
09-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Is the coffee can exhaust pipe next?? ;) :D

LOL!:cool: I'm too old for that stuff I guess. Out of three drivers one of my cars has a SS tip, but it is only 2.5" on the stock exhaust so no coffee. However anyone into serious stereos knows it is very hard to have a system without minimum of two 10"s...though you are likely right and one does not need that much in a boat really. I do like to use a separate amp as you can swap it out until you get the right sound. Every amp I have is different. I should talk, I don't even have a system in a car. Sold the last one I had nice tunes in & too busy to do another. Have a 8" powered sub tube in a car...but it hardly counts being on the stock system...does help it in a big way.

Bazookas are good units, that is pretty reasonable for one.