PDA

View Full Version : Miricle gelcoat stain remover

AlaskaStreamin
06-18-2005, 01:55 PM
On the 17' SeaRay I bought this summer was a horrible rust colored stain that covered the entire bottom of the boat. It had been sitting in the water in the past and had barnacle rings everywhere.

I tried bleach with not much luck and even started wet sanding and buffing. The stains had worked into the pores of the finish so they were only lightened but not gone. I've seen fishermen use muratic acid to get rust stains off their decks and wondered if it would work on my hull.
HOLY CRAP!!!!! It's AWESOME!!!!

I put some in a plastic cup and brushed the acid on the stain. It INSTANTLY turned pure white!! I got my whole transom done in about 2 minutes!! The barnacle rings are gone as well.

One word of caution: Muratic acid eats metal!!! I got a drip on my galvanized trailer and it started sizzling and foaming.

Make sure you wear rubber gloves and safety glasses and take your time not to splatter the acid. This stuff starts smoking as soon as you pour it in the cup so do this in a WELL ventilated area. I'm going to drape plastic over the trailer frame and spray the rest of the bottom with a spray bottle.

If you have stains or barnacle rings, try this and reply.

Todd
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm going to try this. I got several gallon for the pool.

It will eat concrete as well as metal. Pretty potent.

Raceman
02-22-2006, 10:27 PM
You need to protect your lungs as well as skin and eyes. Just working in a well ventilated area isn't good enough when working in close proximity with stuff that puts off toxic fumes.

stvhelm
02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Ive used it for years, its a good idea to wet the trailer first. Also, it works great for getting aluminum off the steel or nicasil bores too.

Superdave
02-23-2006, 12:20 AM
You need a good respirator, one with chemical inserts. The muratic acid is basically diluted hydrochloric acid. It produces chlorine gas, esp with galvanizing and also steel. Can you say PERMANENT lung damage!!!:eek: :eek:
A dust type mask IS NOT ENOUGH :D Ever mix bleach and ammonia? It's WORSE>>>

QUICKSILVER
02-23-2006, 08:26 AM
My boat was towed about 1500 miles by an oil leaking POS Dodge diesel. I've got black spots all over the hull of a white boat. I have tried about everything. Anyone know what will work?

RBT
02-23-2006, 08:52 AM
used it for years, put it in a weed sprayer the ones you pump up ( home depot ), use hot water and dilute it a lot. It will work a lot slower, but will not ruin anything either.
Make sure you are WELL protected, and rinse and WASH it well afterward.

RT

QUICKSILVER
02-23-2006, 09:01 AM
RBT, what did you use? I have tried acid, acetone, rubbing compound, sanding, bleach, purple power, greased lightening, soft scrub, dawn, gasoline, laquer thinner, tide, lye, and a few other cleaners.

RBT
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
muratic acid