PDA

View Full Version : HOW to remove water spots from auto GLASS ??

pyro
06-12-2005, 03:56 PM
UPDATE: I figured it out. Glass Science "Glass Scrub" removes these semi-permanent spots. Good stuff. Read my review of this product on page 2 of this thread. I'm still getting replies saying to use marine polish or HCl acid. No need to make any more suggections. We have a winner.

I finally purchased a used Jeep Cherokee. I have a real tow vehicle!

Problem is, there's BAD water spots on the glass. I used some Meguiar's polish on a rotary buffer, damn near burned it up, and got the back window to come clean. BUT...

The rest of the glass has nasty, old, baked-on water spots that WILL NOT come off! I have tried vinegar, CLR, and a nasty acid blend used for dip-cleaning brass band instruments. I have tried wheel polishing with various polishes and scratch remover compounds, nothing touches it. I used some Blue Magic metal polish on a paper towel, and rubbed like hell in a small area and got only a LITTLE improvement from that. Someone suggested 000 steel wool, but I'm worried about scratching it.

WHAT can I use to remove these spots? Are they permanent?

-Chad

Rickracer
06-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the CLR may be similar, it may be worth a shot. :cool:

Dukeofchippewa
06-13-2005, 05:30 AM
If you're interested in any of this. Plus shipping.
1989 Cherokee Service Manuals complete set including add ons. Also Haynes
Cherokee 84-93 repair manual. $25 + shipping
Jacobs Omni-Pak Performance ignition system & Energy Core plug wires
(lifetime guarantee) Best Offer
Polished Stainless & Gold CHEROKEE License Plate, new. Cost $65 sell $30 +
shipping
215/75 R15 Blizzak Tires mounted on rims with caps & balanced. Off 89
Cherokee, used $150

Flashypaint
06-13-2005, 05:34 AM
Vinegar.................

Dukeofchippewa
06-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Pic of Wheels.

pyro
06-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Vinegar is 5% dilute acetic acid. Useless, already tried it.

22VelocityProMax300
06-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Pyro, I detail cars and boats as a side business in my retirement. For bad water spotting I have used 0000 steel wool ( 000) will be too coarse. Use it in side to side direction. Next follow up with Autoglym glass polish,then for the final coat of protection I use PPg's Aquapel treatment.It is far superior to rain x. The water will sheet off the windshield. Don't forget to clean the wiper blades. For regular maintenace I use Stoners Invisible glass every few days. It cleans the glass so clear you will swear your looking through a window without glass,It is great stuff. Hope this helps. Frank

pyro
06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks! Keep 'em coming...

triple dude
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Years ago, a glass guy told me to use Bon Ami to remove a cruddy film on an old windshield. Never did try it so can't vouch for it.

Scream And Fly
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Chad, it sounds like your Jeep has the same problem as my red Z28. Those are not water spots you have - it's etching. All of the windows on my Z28 are like that, and the only thing that might correct it is a glass polish system. I think Eastwood makes it, and the rule is, if you can feel the etching with your finger nail, then it's too deep to be fixed. If not, then it might be saved. I don't drive the Z28 enough for it to bother me, but I'm going to have to do something about it sooner or later.

Greg

pyro
06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I was kind of wondering if it was indeed etching. Why did the back window clean up, but not the sides or the windshield?

Scream And Fly
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
The windshield usually gets it the worst since it lies the flattest, and allows the water to stay stagnant and bake in the sun. Not sure why your rear glass did not get it as bad. Makes me want to check my car now...

triple dude
06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
It'd be a shame if some kids (little bastids) put bricks thru your windows in the middle of the night. :eek:

pyro
06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
One important detail:

The windows had china marker on them at the dealer's lot. I can see the images of the water spots as I dry off the windows, but where the writing was is now clean. You can see the shadow of the old writing on the glass. It's like the wax crayon had some magic effect...

triple dude
06-16-2005, 04:00 PM
What about that magic eraser stuff (Mr. Clean) you've talked about?? Tried that yet??

pyro
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
The Magic Eraser's unique property is its ability to clean dirt from micro-textured and semi-porous surfaces, such as wall paint and boat seats. I'll try it anyway, but I doubt it will work. What about one of those clay-bar kits? They're $15, I'm a little hesitant...

pyro
07-05-2005, 05:19 AM
I figured it out. GLASS SCRUB. This stuff WORKS. A lot of patient rubbing, and it cuts through. It's gritty like toothpaste. You have to keep it wet with a little water or it will scratch if you rub too hard. The first picture shows a small area with the spots scrubbed away. It takes arms, and patience. The dirver's side window took a half-hour to clean.

They also make a rain repellent gel, it's like Rain-X without the alcohol, so a little goes a long way. We'll see how well it works next time it rains.

THANKS to all who replied! :D

-Chad

SUPAJAY
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Hydrocloric acid or Glass De etcher.... put a little on the rag and it will come right off. Do not get any on the paint... because it will destroy it.
I do this every day... i work for a window cleaning company. Bellieve me, it works.

pyro
07-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Nope, I actually tried a strong Zinc Chlorate & Hydrochloric Acid cocktail, and it didn't even touch it.

No big deal. AS I stated in the post above, the problem is solved. I wanted to post the photo of the product and its results to help anyone else who stumbled across this thread.

The Glass Scrub also seems to be a good prep for window decals. it seems to remove anything and everything from glass, from old water spots to oil residue. It leaves the glass laboratory clean.

BUSHWACKER
07-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Bon Ami works great, very old Champion Spark Plug book tip, have to hose it off, been there done that, also Starbrite Marine Polish, used it here my Fla water is loaded with iron turned my glass & chrome brown from my lawn sprayer.

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
09-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I always use a D.A. with a 1/2" back up pad, and 80 grit paper. Works like a charm, spots are gone, and the sun glare is not as intense. :D Kidding of course.

The Big Al
09-04-2005, 08:54 AM
I always use a D.A. with a 1/2" back up pad, and 80 grit paper. Works like a charm, spots are gone, and the sun glare is not as intense. :D Kidding of course.
I can't seem to find a 1/2 back pad!!!!
But the 80g by hand is taking the glare out! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_16_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYUS)

Superdave
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Bon-Ami (http://www.bonami.com/)
Polishes glas and NO scratching. I used it on the windows on my '66 Mustang then coated them with RainX
SD

PROGRESSIVEAUTO
09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Really isnt a mandatory tool, just cuts down the spots a little better. I am here to tell you, this works AWESOME, just listen to Als progress!! Nothing works quite as well as this. :D

an86carrera
08-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Bartenders Friend. Rub it on lightly with a rag do not scratch though. Oxcylic acid