PDA

View Full Version : Smartcraft Help

seacow
05-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Looking for a little advice on a smartcraft system. Am working with twin 225, 02 model optimax engines. The stbd. engine guage (SC1000 on both) works fine, but the port will only power up the tach and fuel guage. I have swapped the harness from engines and ruled out tach and harness problems. The Port engine turns on and has a message of engine Bus, or system bus, can't remember the exact phrase. These engines had computers replaced last october under warranty and the customer stated the dealership which performed the work had to cut a double ground wire that fried the computers. My question is if there is something which I am missing which can be unplugged, etc. that will allow the guages to power up but NO data to reach the guage. Both engines are wired exactly the same and the only thing I have not done is swap computers to eliminate an engine harness problem. I am hoping someone has run into this before and has a simple solution, I have been through all the settings in the tach and nothing I do seems to change anything. :confused:

hsbob
05-18-2005, 08:28 AM
when i bought my 2004 200xs, it had a sticker about the dealer needing to do something,, to get the second motor to work with the smartcraft system????

seacow
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Still Looking advice, I forgot to mention that this system is using the harnesses with resistor ends, not a Bus Box.

Marcus
05-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Do you have the right gauges?The gauges are different if you use the data cable than the older ones.The other is blue on the back side and the other is white,don`t recall at the moment which is which(i think the whiteback is the older).

Are the engines set up which is starboard and which is port side in the computers?Otherwise it won`t work correctly either.

seacow
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
yes I have the right cables and guages. The system worked perfect before the other dealer swaped computers. I did not check to see which computer was set up for which side. How does the system know about the other engine, when they are completely seperate? I checked my smartcraft manual but did not really get much help, all it said is if that message came up then the data link was disconnected. I guess I may have to call mercury tech. to check for any other possible causes. Thanks for the reply.

sosmerc
05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
So if I understand you correctly, each engine is completely independent? Different battery, seperate data cable going to seperate guage. No common connection such as kill switch, depth, or fuel guage, etc.?
If so, you should be able to swap data cable and see if the trouble stays the same (showing the problem is in the cable or guage)......but if the problem goes away, they I would suspect the ECM is the problem.

seacow
05-20-2005, 09:08 PM
that is my suspicion, the ecm, I have swapped everything but the ecm from one engine to the other. Everything is completely seperate, the boat has 2 fuel tanks, I have the boat running on both batteries but that is the only possible item which can tie them togeother, and I don't understand how that could have a possible data link issue at all. Since there is no running issues with the engine I was assuming a problem in wiring, but the more I think about it the less I believe it is wiring. I think I will swap ecm from one engine to the other and if the problem changes with the ecm I know what it is, other wish if the problem stays with the same engine I am going to have to assume the problem is in the engine harness? Thanks for the reply, I just have not had any issues with smartcraft and was hoping others may have run into this.

One thing I did not think about was the trim box coming from the control box, going back to each engine. Can that link the 2 togeother allowing them to know the other engine exist? I had forgot about that!!! Guess I could try unhooking that and trying that first. It will be tuesday before i get back on this problem, If this is a possible link please let me know.

thanks

sosmerc
05-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I would try disconnecting the fuel guage from the system and see if that makes any difference.
Are you also running a smartcraft harness from engine (s) to oil tank, fuel tank, paddle wheel/sea temp, depth transducer??
If so, disconnect all this and try the system with JUST the data harness and system monitor connected.