PDA

View Full Version : Can a canvas boat covers be waterproofed?

mxz
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Is there a product out there that will waterproof a canvas boat cover? Rain seems to seep through the canvas tops on both my Vector and Vegas. Don't really want to have to get new covers made that are waterproof.

Thanks..

chynewalkr
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes they can. there are several commercially available products made just for canvas covers you could probably get from a west marine or similar store.

i can tell you my father has been in the canvas business for 25 years and he uses thompsons water seal on his canvas. :D

SKATER241
05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I Was Just Going To Say The Same Thing.i Have Heard That Thompsons Works Great On Canvas.never Tried It Myself But Know Several People That Have Used It On Tents With Good Results.

JSK
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Sunbrella recommends using 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on its covers after a thorough cleaning to restore repellancy - not sure about this, but worth exploring as an option.

Clyde
05-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Are you sure it's canvas? I haven't seen canvas in years, it was treated with chemicals with heavy metals (lead or mercury?). When they outlawed the treatment everyone stopped selling the stuff because it would rot in two years.
I suspect your cover is cloth, if so it can be treated with any number of repellent products for water. There are two things though, one you will have to reapply every year, mayby two but I wouldn't count on it. Two, if the cover is old the thread will shrink (in diameter) and the cloth will stretch leaving bigger gaps in the weave and the repellent won't be able to seal the material.
If your buying new you can get vinyl inpregnated material that will stop water and last, but unless you have it lined with soft cloth it will beat up your finish.

mxz
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
It probably is cloth, not really sure, I was just guessing canvas. I will look into different types of sealant.

inspectorlance
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Sunbrella is not designed to be water proof, but it is water repellent. You must have some slope for the water to run off. If it saggs the water will leak in.

The non vinyl coated Sunbrella material is great for the average boat top. It does not shrink much, and will streach to snap on in cold weather.

The Vinyl coated sunbrella material is water proof, but the down side is when is gets cold it will shrink, and your lucky to get the top on.

If ya are using them at boat covers in the yard, the sunbrella fabric is just fine. Have to keep the slope. The non vinyl coated will breather better so that your boat wont mold as much.

Lance.

JSK
05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
True, Sunbrella must be sloped, but water rushes off like anything.

Got a Sunbrella cover made for my Sidewinder and always bone dry inside.

Now in the process of having one made for my Vector - lots of slopes so no problem.

Clyde
05-17-2005, 08:13 PM
MXZ

I hope I'm not stepping on your thread but this brings up something I have thought about.. What is the best way to cover your boat? HMM? Maybe I'll start a poll....?

hsbob
06-08-2005, 08:37 AM
i've had a idea that is to cover the top side of the canvas with the flexable outdoor deck coating. its very flexable and strechy. its been a idea for several years. has any tried such a product??

stvhelm
06-08-2005, 09:35 AM
maybe Thompsons water seal??.. i have like 5 gallons of it. I do know westmarine's stuff works well cause I just applied it in april. we'll see how long though.

northeastcat
06-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Just go right to Wal mart and buy a couple aresole cans of spray on water repellent, they are cheep and work great. I'm going on the second year and it still works as good as the day I put it on. They usually have two kinds , one is generic and the other is made by 3-M , I tried both and they work the same so buy the lesser expensive one to save a buck. ;) You will find them in the outdoors section around the tenting stuff.

inspectorlance
06-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Camp Dry, its designed for canvas.

stokernick
06-19-2005, 07:35 PM
great stuff ,works well .First wash your cover at a commercial laundromat with Woolite,dry and treat.Great for sail cloth,etc.Also 303Protectant Spray better than Armorall,contains no alcohol so won't crack your vinyl.Buy through Overton's.:)

mxz
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!