PDA

View Full Version : optimax 135hp engine blown

ramon20
05-10-2005, 06:15 AM
I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences with these engines. For pictures and detail please check our www.soundskis.co.uk/engine (http://www.soundskis.co.uk/engine)
Looking forward to hearing from you

E-tec1
05-10-2005, 06:49 AM
At 700 hours the oil pump failed due to faulty wiring??? what faulty wiring? how long did it run with an oil pump failure??? this does not look like an injector failure, what year was this? 700 + hours thats not shabby for an opti

ramon20
05-10-2005, 07:02 AM
The engine was new 2002 and last year the engine shut itself down returning from a dive trip and continued for 40 mins at 1500rpm. Only when back in port did the oil warning buzzer sound. The dealer inspected the repair and said that these engines can run for 3hrs without oil and no damage had been done

sosmerc
05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
For what it's worth, many of the whale watching boats in Victoria, B.C. run twin Optimax rigs. They lease the engines and are "required" to turn them in at 750 hrs. The local Merc dealer I talked with gave me the impression that Merc must feel much over 750hrs on these engines is too risky.
(since most of my customers rarely put more than 30hrs on their boats in a season, 750hrs might be acceptable) But for commercial use, it's not very encouraging.
I'm hoping others might chime in here to provide some better news.