PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a head unit!

ripperd2
05-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't post much here, mainly lurk during the summer. But my boat needs a new head unit. It needs to do CD and the radio and be of decent quality. I am looking in the $120 to $150 range. Any recommendations?

The Big Al
05-03-2005, 08:14 PM
And this is were to get them!!

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpcdm9821

ripperd2
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Oh, I want one that is marine rated and can get a little wet with no issue. This is going in a boat that does a fair amount of fishing and tends to get caught in rainstorms and gets splashed. That is why the old unit (non-marine) croaked. Thanks for the reply Big-Al.

The Big Al
05-03-2005, 08:27 PM
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58837&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=7&hvarTarget=browse

pyro
05-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Stay away from the head units with negative displays (black background, white/color numbers) you can't see them in bright sun AT ALL. Coincidentally, most of the marine-grade units have the old style LCD with black characters and a gray background.

WATERWINGS
05-04-2005, 10:38 AM
I have never used any marine units in any of my boats.

But I have killed a couple from the hard impacts because of waves.

GP-1
05-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Don't get too stuck on any particular name brand... Search the internet for a good buy.. Another thing you might want to consider is something with an input for an MP3 player.. I've yet to find a CD player that won't skip in a boat, and I've tried everything from $150 to $750.. Maybe somebody else has....???

WATERWINGS
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
1000 watts, and I still can't hear mine over 50 MPH, over my open exhaust :eek:

But the 10's sure do feel good, even if I can't hear them.

Of coarse, the whine of a Merc at 7000 RPM's is music to my ears anyway.

I use my tunes on the beach, or floatin' with a beer! :D

Dirtbag
05-04-2005, 01:37 PM
My 2 cents? take a good look at how the controls work. I have a Clarion Marine Deck which is a really nice one, but it has a multi function button that you can push 4 ways, up and down for volume, and left right to change stations, tracks etc.

The thing is a huge pain the in ass, as every time I try to change the volume, I end up changing the station since it is always a bit bumpy as you are going.

if I had to do it again, I would make sure the volume control is a separate button from anything else...and yes to quote an earlier comment, all cd players skip in a boat. MP3 would be the way to go for sure.

DB

RBT
05-04-2005, 01:41 PM
I have a Rockford Fosgate MP3 CD player in my Challenger and it does not skip. I get about 210 songs per disk. Works nice.

RT

bigbore
05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
its gonna be up to you to keep the moisture out of it,that involves mounting it in the best place possible out of direct weather if possible,and alot of the units these days have a flip down faceplate in which you can remove the faceplate and flip it over.

Tango
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Try this... Buy the cheapest radio you can that has a decent amount of power output. Preferably one with an aux input. Then buy yourself the Sirius Sportster from Best Buy. For less than $12 per month you can have more music, sports, weather and comedy than any CD library could handle. It will work anywhere and never skips on the hard waves.

As for getting moisture in the radio, buy a marine faceplate with a sealed cover. They can be purchased from West Marine and you can use any din mounted radio in them.

skydog
05-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Alpine ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!

ripperd2
05-28-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8D8BKEfRwkf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=221050&I=158CDXR30M

That is the radio I got. Does have aux inputs. I don't plan on doing the sat. radio thing just yet. And yes, I do have a marine style cover that will swing down over the exposed portion of it. Putting it in later today. Funny, the boat will have a nicer deck than my car! The car is just a old $50 sony cd deck.

The Big Al
05-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Looks good!!!!

Bass Pro has a Sony water tight cover, I have one and it works!

Sinister
05-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I killed a jensen marine unit in about 6 weeks. Sent it back and just got it back with a new faceplate. Removable faceplates really suck for this application, but good luck finding a unit that isn't removable or flip down. CD's are totally useless, I use the auxillary and my portable Roady XM. I received a free home antenna that I use for the boat. As long as it lasts I won't have to shell out the $65 for marine antenna.

freddyspens
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
i have had a lot of really good luck with pioneer in-dash units. they would play cd's that wouldnt even register in sony reg and xplode players-- sony is junk! i wouldnt never buy one unless it was like $20 used... hope that helps

ripperd2
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I do like Pioneer equipment also. That is what I have for a DVD player and surround reciever in the house. In my car I have a sony deck which works good. It does tend to be a little sensitive to scratched CD-R disks though. I should mention that it is ancient too, it isn't one of the newer models designed to play CD-R's.

WATERWINGS
06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I have Pioneer in the truck and boat, I like them just fine, but have also had JVC, in the boat that worked fine.

I got the same unit in the boat and the truck, so I would know where all the buttons were without haveing to think about it, when I got out of one, into the other.

freddyspens
06-01-2005, 02:00 PM
its always good to have the same set up-- i used to install cutsom car audio systems so i got used to most of the different button setups but its still nice to have the same. i have noticed ALL the sony's i have tried dont play scratched stuff very well-- i dont know if they have fewer laser eyes or just not as good ones.. every pioneer i have seen played stuff that probably shouldnt even play in a cd player...lol-- i can get some really good deals on all electronics still - i used to charge like 30% under list so i can still do that if anyone needs something- i basically just make like 10 or 20bucks for the time to order and ship it..i have enough business with my shop that its just something i do now when somebody needs something.. - i am really good at laying out systems too which was a really fun part of setting up someone with a killer sound system.. ok- ill shut up now:-)