PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...My First Jet.

justaddfuel
04-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey, all. I'm new to the jet boat scene. I've owned a couple of beauty outboards, but we just bought a cottage on a lake that's not overly deep. After browsing through the forums, I feel like I'm back in grade 1, with all the new terminology, but I look forward to this kind of school!
Maybe some of you can offer some advice. As the pics show, she's a basketcase, but the hull is actually in really good shape. She's got a jacuzzi 12wj, with an electric driven place diverter. She measures 16' overall, and has a very shallow V bottom. Used to have a 455 OLDS.
I was hoping someone could help identify this hull.
Thanks

rock
04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Kinda looks like my old Hondo. The thing is, I have seen a hundred different flat bottom boats and they all look the same but have different names. Splashing must have been huge in California back then. Good luck.
Rock

triple dude
04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Too old for me to ID and like Rock says, many were copies. I'd guess a jet that old is pretty rare up your way?? For jet pump parts, you can probably get Jaccuzi stuff from American Turbine. They were on a buying spree a few years ago to buy up the competition. Good luck. That should work out well in your shallows but those Olds 455's have to be getting scarce.

justaddfuel
04-29-2005, 10:39 AM
You're right...you don't see alot of older jet boats up here. There's lots of I/o's though. I figured I'd use one of those motors. Chev BB is what's going in. The only jets I found locally were both CVX 20's, with berkely pump's. Both asking 3500, one had motor, but was rough, one was fresh, no motor. But I wanted something a bit meaner. Came with alot of vintage jewelry, ie..polished fuel tanks, deck mounted tach, ski-bar, mahogany steering wheel, etc...

Riverman
04-29-2005, 01:34 PM
That looks like a good project for turbine power!:cool:

justaddfuel
04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Turbine power, ehhh? Whaddya think...maybe a rolls Pegasus out of a Harrier Jump-jet? There must be a few lying around somewhere. Then I could ditch the trailer and fly to the lake!LOL!

triple dude
04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Some of those "extras" sound cool. I used to like those deck mounted tachs. I have an Advantage bowrider with 454 and American Turbine jet. Other than fuel pump and battery, haven't had any problems in six years. Oh, yea, the electric trim pump went bad but haven't replaced yet.

justaddfuel
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
The guy I got the boat from said it had a 455. I decided to go chevy cause that's easier to get round here, so I took a look at the bellhousing. Is this not a chevy bolt pattern? I was going by the pointy top. It was made by Nicson. If so that's one less thing to think about.

Thanks

triple dude
05-03-2005, 04:26 PM
No doubt Chevy would be easier and cheaper to find. Even "back in the day", the big Olds, Pontiacs and Buicks were costly (parts also) than the Chevy. I did see an ad last night in a car magazine (High Performance Pontiac) for a guy selling crate Olds 455 motors. I just glanced at it but seems he was talkin' 5-600HP. They were around $7 or $8,000. That buys a whole lot of Chevy crate motor and parts.

150aintenuff
05-03-2005, 08:34 PM
you will need the right bellhousing pontiac/olds used a slightly different pattern. but they are a dime a dozen for the BBC and a 502/502 crate motor is around 5K new

justaddfuel
05-04-2005, 05:51 AM
After re-reading my last post, I realized I worded it funny. What I have are 2 pics of the bell that came with the boat. I'm thinking that the guy was in error about the olds, cause that bell looks chevy to my inexperienced eyes. You see the boat had no motor for him, either. So I was hoping that we could see if I already had the right bellhousing.

Thanks

OH, MAAAN! Its cold and rainy out!