PDA

View Full Version : Jacket types& stuff

Techno
01-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Since we push the need for jackets but there is no west marine to go to for a look at I thought it would be a good idea for a list of the different models for a rough comparision. If you've never seen one of these jackets then there is nothing out there to compare to them. If , like me, you only have one and would like a second then an idea of the differences might help to make a choice too.

Security- $425
PRO OUTBOARD w/impact and tail
*weight 5 lbs.
* right foam 1.3" thick
*left foam 2.25 Thick
* impact plastic~.1" apparently in sides, back and coller.
* back.39" thick
* Front closure is a vertical centered zipper(large tooth) and small helmet like straps (D-rings)above and below zipper Body strap with ski-vest like plastic snap. easy to use.
*Leg straps have friction slider adjustments with small T-shaped connectors - connectors have velcroed cover straps, T-buckles very difficult. Leg strapping goes up front and down back travels through fabric channels
*tail projects about 5.5" down from body of jacket.
*coller 5" tall and .3" thick
from top to bottom while folded is about 20" high. not counting coller measured at front.
Small seperate D-ring for safety switch lanyard on right side near leg strap.

Overall I would rate it as comfortable since I am sitting in a bucket seat and can't move anyway. Tail can be very slight inconvenience while sitting but not a big deal.

Security helmet restraint $70?
webbing worn under jacket and located under arms 3" wide velcro attaching and adjusting.
5 straps (3/4")with metal spring snaps attach to helmet. straps have slider adjustment.
I find it easier to don helmet and harness as one unit before the jacket. I don't bother undoing the straps to helmet.

Shoei full face helmet $200?
with supposedly air vents, forehead and chin. The helmet seems fine except it fogs at times unless moving at a planing speed. lifting shield up partway helps if it does fog.
opening 8.5" wide 4" high
3 D-rings for helmet restraint attachments located on sides and back. Bought this way but can retrofit an existing helmet.

I leave leg straps attached and can put the jacket on while sitting. Before putting arms in I put the helmet and harness on. Practice is needed as you can't look down once the helmet is on.
Taking helmet and harness off is easy.
With only the jacket on and fastened I can put the helmet and harness on easier than from scratch. Still have to unfasten top and front and remove arms from jacket.
Helmet can get hot if you take too long putting everything on.
With leg straps already on everything can be put on while idling down channel. - Or off. while sitting.

H2Onut
01-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Well techno, heres my dig,
I think life jackets are a must, However 425 is a far cry from resonable, Rip stop hi performance nylon is not the much coin, neither is enso foam. I am going to try to get both items, rip apart a ski vest i have that is comfortable, copy the pattern, and add an ass patch. will sew with kevler braid thread and add leg straps, also will were kidney belt...

If I get this together am going to put on a manican and toe at high speed, then will throw of bridge into water for addl testing.

AM I nuts ?

Techno
01-12-2002, 04:08 AM
I bought my gear before I had a boat. It's expensive but it cost just as much as a prop, a little engine work, hydralic jack plate....Take your pick.

The jacket I have is built entirely different than a ski vest. The leg straps go over the entire jacket, they're not sewn on.
For testing you would also need to throw out at over 100 to make sure it stays together ( the dummy and jacket).

It isn't the jackets that are expensive. It is it being a human life protecting or saving item that makes it so high. If you've ever seen fall protection stuff you see what I mean. 5/8" rope- life line cost= $1,000 for a hundred feet. It has a sewn tag at each end.

There are cheaper ones and cheaper helmets, you can cut the total cost down.

Fl Boy in ILL
01-12-2002, 05:35 AM
H2O,

I have to disaggree with about $425 not being reasonable, what do you do for a living? How much money would you be out if say you missed 2 weeks worth of work due to an injury because you were not wearing a good jacket? My Hydrostream delaminated at about 100 mph and I only missed 2 days of work cause I couldn't walk, but I was still alive because of my $400 Lifeline jacket. We as a group don't hesitate to spend thousands for a boat thousands for a motor hundreds for a prop more hundreds for more props but then complain about several hundred for safety equipment. I myself think it is a very good investment in my future, kinda like insurance hope I never need it but got it if I need it. These are just my thoughts and experience from someone who got wet.

Rick Conklin
Allison 2000SS/280SS

Fl Boy in ILL
01-12-2002, 09:52 AM
No pissin match intended.

I don't disaggree about the monopoly, if you can make it better and cheaper please let me know I may want to but a few so I have extras for my pasengers.I also aggree 100% about common cense being the most important safety feature. Thanks

Rick C

tabararacing
01-26-2002, 07:09 PM
$425 is cheap for your life guys. I'll only where lifeline and Security. In fact I won't even wear a Security, I only where Lifeline, because I feel there quality is unmatched. If you get a used one, send it to them for recertification, they will make sure its LIKE NEW.
Brian Tabara

W. Tripp
01-26-2002, 09:13 PM
There are a lot of good points made here. I understand not wanting to pay a fortune for good gear, but at least you KNOW that you are getting the best quality possible. If you are running on the Bleeding Edge, you need the best available - or a good insurance policy for your survivors.

I personally prefer Security products. For good prices on helmets, try The Helmet Shop - they are online. Get a good polarized shield - it makes seeing waves easier.

Anti-fog - rain-x makes one that is O.K., dive shops sell much better stuff. But the best I have found is a kit sold at military surplus shops for 75 cents. It is a treated cloth in a plastic container - THIS WORKS even in a humid Summer rain. Anti Fogging Kit Mil# 6850-00-127-7193 Contract# DLA400-81-C-1480

Stay away from Kevlar thread. It was tried on Parachutes a few years back. tight stitching (like harnesses) kink it and it becomes brittle. Sunlight makes it brittle. Use 3 strand braided nylon thread.

I hope this helps.

Steve Zuckerman
02-23-2002, 09:36 PM
GUYS:
I'VE SEEN A LOT OF CRASHES (AND BEEN IN A FEW) IN 25 YEARS OF RACING. VERY SELDOM HAVE I SEEN ANYONE KILLED OR PERMANENTLY IMPAIRED WHO WAS WEARING A LIFELINE OR EQUIVALENT WHEN THEY CRASHED.
MY SUGGESTION IS TO BUY THE VERY BEST JACKET AND HELMET
YOU CAN AFFORD, AND USE THEM............YOUR LIFE IS WORTH A
LOT MORE THAN $425!!!!!!!!!
REGARDS,
STEVE
;)