PDA

View Full Version : Help-- XP Can't Find Drivers-Software

rangerguy
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
First I am running windows XP, Wife bought a Jump Drive and when she plugs it in to the USB port, windows knows it is there, but when it starts seaches for the software for it, it always comes back with could not install hardware because it can not find the software. It says the same thing with a 1.1 or 2.0 Jump Drive.
I have MapCreate 6 with a MMC card reader/writer. I plugged it in and windows says the same thing as it did with the Jump Drive. I have run the MapCreate 6 before and downloaded on a MMC card but It seems like all the drivers that were on XP have vanished and nothing will work in the USB ports.
Can someone give me a hint or better yet a fix for this problem. I have download a upgrade for my LCX 15mt but can not load it on the MMC card because XP can't find the software even with the CD placed in the machine. Any help would be appreciated.

rangerguy
04-18-2005, 07:51 PM
How long have you had this system? Have the USB ports ever worked? Are there any yellow question marks in the device manager?

Yes the USB port have worked. I used the MapCreate 6 on it and download some maps and updated my 15 mt one time. Now Lowrance has a new update and this is when I found out the reader/writer won't work, because XP can't find drivers for it. So I got the wife a Lexar Jump Drive and she plug it in and window XP says it can not find the drivers for it. It is like XP has lost all of it drivers. I'm not to smart on these machines, so Bare with me.
No- there are no yellow question marks in the device manager. About a month ago I tried to install a 2.0 high speed USB card in the thing and there were yellow question marks in the device manager then and I could not get the software to load for the card. XP just kept saying it could not find the software even tho I was telling it to look in my E-Drive for the CD. It just would not load it. So I pulled it out and took it back and stayed with the one that came with the machine. I know the USB works because I have a printed hooked to the one in the back of the PC.

pyro
04-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Whoever makes your jump drive, go to their website, they will have a software download page, download and install, it will work fine.

rangerguy
04-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Whoever makes your jump drive, go to their website, they will have a software download page, download and install, it will work fine.

It is a Lexar jump drive an when I went to there site, it says Windows XP does not require the driver, because it is already on XP and the site does not give me the option of downloading a driver for it. But my XP says It can not find software for this hardware.

I know it sounds weird, but that is what is happening. Maybe my XP is messed up somehow. I load the CD for XP but it didn't give me the option of reinstalling just the drivers on it, all I can do is start all over and reload the whole thing, and I didn't want to do all of that. Any other ideas?

rangerguy
04-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks Slider, I will have to get my courage up to do the repair, but I am sure you are right, something went haywire in this thing and I am going to have to do a complete reload again to fix the problems.

ABA
05-08-2005, 09:10 PM
My guess ....

I think you have a minimal XP install ... I have seen this problem before..... you can try reinstalling XP and make sure you do a full install.

If XP is recognizing the hardware the USB port is working fine.

The fact that XP can not find drivers for it means one of two things. The drivers are not on the puter or XP does not have the drivers for it.

You should be able to get the drivers off the web fairly easy.

Type in name, make and model number of the product and I will see if I can locate some drivers for you if you cant find them on your own.

Usually new hardware comes with the drivers needed ... did you get a disk with the hardware?

rangerguy
05-09-2005, 05:49 AM
ABA---Thanks for the reply, I have got it working now, I had to save everything on my puter and do a reformat and completely reinstall XP. Don't know what happen to the original install of XP because everything was working fine when we first got XP but then one day it was like it lost all the drivers in XP. But after the reinstall it is back to working as advertised. Sure hope it doesn't do it again, it was a pain saving all our stuff before we lost it. Have a good day.