PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

H2Onut
01-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Who maked the best, ya know the kind you dont have to muck with every couple of months. R E L I A B L E. Have ssen these thing cause fustration, but gotta have one. Juat get one from Merc or are there some good aftermarket companies?

captcarb
01-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Are we trying to kill just the engine, or the engine and an electrical fuel pump?

Jim

H2Onut
01-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Just the Motor

captcarb
01-12-2002, 05:10 PM
I like the one with the toggle switch for just the motor. I think its merc. You can turn it over to make it normally open or closed. You could probably make one with a marine quality toggle switch and a fabricated guard around it. Whatever one you get make sure it is normally open. When you pull it it grounds the ignition. Eustis auto parts sells one that is called a seastar I think. It can be used either way or both. It has 4 prongs.

It will ground the ignition and unground the pump with one switch. Why don't you want to hook up the pump to it? It is required in most drag racing organizations.

Jim

Tony Brucato
01-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Jim,

I had one of those seastar kill switches and did just what you said about hooking the kill to one circuit and the fuel pump to the other.
I must have had a bad switch that shorted the two circuits. It killed my switchboxes:mad:

Techno
01-13-2002, 03:51 AM
A "no brainer" kill switch.
Ever see the seat switchs in cars for the seat belts?
Stick one of them there and its automatic... don't hit any bumps though.

H2Onut
01-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Looking for the ones with a teather, My go to Jet ski type, I know they are waterproof, never have had a failure. Have had friends with boats and the kill switches have caused many trips under the dash... Just looking to see if theyu are all made by same mfg. then labeld different. same stuff different price....

I plan on mounting switch beneath seat, teahter to come up through seat wear crotch strap would feed through on a 5 point harness..

I have seen em at rex and otheres, just wanted to see if anyone else had had issues with a paticular brand.

Thanks Everyone...

captcarb
01-13-2002, 10:57 AM
What are you using now? How long did the seastar last?

Jim

Techno
01-13-2002, 12:30 PM
Just make sure the switch is easy to get to. Nothing like starting an engine with the lanyard not hooked up. Doh!

Tony Brucato
01-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Jim,

It was a brand new seastar. I replaced it with another one but didn't hook up the fuel pump to it.:eek: I know, I'm bad!

captcarb
01-13-2002, 05:15 PM
The reason I asked is that I have it in two boats. I wondered if it was something I could look forward to in the future. It is using the switch in a way not intended. I have it grounding the pump. Is that what you had? I could replace it with two toggle types. I like them better anyway. It sounds like you got 12v to the switch box. I can't remember if I used seperate grounds or not. If I have a common ground and lose it the same thing could happen to me.

Jim

Tony Brucato
01-13-2002, 05:29 PM
I had the purple accessory wire going through the kill switch to a relay switch for the pump.

I need to find a better quality kill switch. That was a pretty expensive failure.