PDA

View Full Version : Boat Antenna for under the bow?

skydog
04-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Any one know of a good one? Looking to get one to just tape up under the hull. (am/fm radio)

Thank you Skydog

Liqui-Fly
04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm nort sure how goods it is but I've been running no antenna at all (just wire to a base) and get pretty good reception. This and a booster if ya need one would be plenty.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=25831

Euroski
04-16-2005, 06:15 PM
I used one like that on my STV and it worked well!

transomstand
04-16-2005, 06:20 PM
I use a soft wire antenna, works fine.

skydog
04-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Guys!! :D

Clyde
04-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I used a steel fender antenna from a 70's junker mounted under the deck of my first Vegas and it worked well.

By the way, have you seen the new NFL schedule? Looks like Santa's going to leave a teddy bear under the tree. :D

bgiles
04-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi there, I ordered and received the following antenna from West Marine for the Alpine unit I installed in my boat , works great, and it sits under the Hull.

Works real Good

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=18471&catalogId=10001&classNum=722&subdeptNum=29&storeNum=3

skydog
04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
bgiles, cool that is the one i have coming!!

Thank you guys!!

pyro
04-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Radio antennas work their best for picking up most stations when they are straight and vertical. You can use a rubber whip antenna by fastening it safely to the underside of the bow, leaving the antenna pointing straight down. The fiberglass doesn't weaken the signal much. In your case, mount your "soft wire" antenna in a similar fashion, with the wire pulled nice and straight.

The length of a radio antenna is very important. An antenna's length is mathematically related to the frequencies it was designed to use. FM Radio signals' frequency is between 87 and 108 MHz. These frequencies have a certain wavelength in the open air, and the antenna's length needs to typically be half, a quarter, or an eighth of this wavelength to function efficiently. You may have noticed that the short, rubber antennas are HALF the length of a metal mast antenna.

The huge, long CB antenna (27 MHz range) you have seen back and forth on the roof of an El Camino is considered a half-wave antenna. They are very efficient, for both transmitting and recieving. Most shorter CB antennas (yep, half as long as half-wave) are quarter-wave antennas. The shortest ones use a coil-loaded inductor to artificially tune the antenna mast's resonant frequency.

SO, do NOT trim the soft wire, or it may affect its performance.

bgiles
04-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi Skydog, glad to hear that one will work out for you, can't go wrong for $9.00. Like yourself, I just wanted something simple that could go under the hull.

Bruce