PDA

View Full Version : LOOKS LIKE TWO STROKE SLEDS ARE UNDER ATTACK TOO!

Instigator
05-16-2001, 09:33 AM
New S.A.E. news paper has front page story on competition for low emission sleds that combines, sound levels, fuel economy, and performance.
The story ssys that a 4 stroke won it last year but the University of Waterloo Ontario came back and won it wioth an injected two stroke sled this year.
Mostly 4 stroke entries though, including the second place entry of a 659 cc Dahaitsu turbo motor out of one of their mini vans!!!
Looks to me like the clock is definately ticking for the 2 strokes!!
P.S. The only picture of the event on the cover is the 2nd place (4 stk) sled that also won quietest sled award!

Brad Zastrow
05-16-2001, 09:56 AM
When we have to live with heavy peaky 4 strokes I give up snowmobiling. Artic Cat has a 4 stroke now that is a 660cc and puts out about 40hp. Top speed about 60mph. Same sled in a two stroke is 110 hp and 100+ mph and will run WOT all day long. Same thing with the boats, our "chain saw motors" will kill those big blocks i/o's untill you get into the mega buck motors, ie: Mercury 900SC.

PaulR
05-16-2001, 01:03 PM
I keep my sleds as long as I can or until I crash it or it becomes outdated. If all a guy can buy new is a 4 stroke than the price of the used sleds will stay steady or go up. I have a 99' model sled and I update it myself with shocks etc. I'm a Cat man, but you won't see me on a 660cc sled with only 40hp when I'm used to 170hp.

Instigator
05-16-2001, 08:27 PM
Altough we don't have enough of a winter in Ohio to really take advantage of a sled, I can't imagine a four stroke!
The 4 strk that took second in the competition was 659 cc, the 2 strk that won was 550.

Greg Moss
05-17-2001, 07:55 AM
All motor not just outboard have to meet epa emissions standards for 2006. OMC had lisenced the feict to several manufactures, Polaris,Artic Cat, and Kawasaki. to be used in the Snowmoblie, PWC and all the 4 wheelers that run 2-strokes. I watched a motocross race on ESPN a couple of weeks ago and a 4stroke won. Now this is the good part it was a 450cc Yamaha and it was running against the 250 2 strokes. It will be along time before the 2stoke is replaced if ever,especially in machines used in cold weather or where weight is a determining factor. there is just no way the technoligy is there to make a 4-stroke run with the 2strokes of the same size and wieght. Greg

Instigator
05-17-2001, 04:57 PM
Now the motocross comentators are getting all geeked about a 250cc Four stroke winning races.
IN THE 125cc TWO STROKE CLASS!!