PDA

View Full Version : Tach Calibration

MarkHP
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I want to check my tach and not having easy access to a 'known good' one I figure I could check it with a pulse generator. My current tach is set for 6P. I assume this means 6 pulses per revolution therefor 6000 RPM = 6*6000 = 36000 pulses per minute or 600 pulses per second (600 Hz)). Am I completely off base or does this sound right? Has anyone done this before?

Wile E. Coyote
04-14-2005, 06:11 AM
In aviation, we use something called a "view thru" tachometer, it is basically a marked wheel that spins at a known rpm. You mark your flywheel with a visible indication, set your motor runnin and view the flywheel through the window of the view thru, by adusting the dials on the view thru, you "stop" the flywheel indication in the window of the view thru, and read the rpm. The view thru is self calibrating and therefore you would get an accurate reading.....having said all this, I really dont know where you could get one for cheap, E-bay maybe, I would offer to lend ours (the shops) but I could get in deep chit for that. There may be a cheaper commercially available unit you could get....or if you have anyone on a local airport who does "dynamic balancing" of propellers, they may have one......

Tango
05-22-2005, 01:04 PM
What kind of tach is it? If it is of the autometer brand, they will calibrate it for your engine for $45.00

All they need to know is how many coils your stator has and the type of ignition.

MarkHP
05-22-2005, 04:42 PM
It's a Teleflex, I have it set to 6, which I believ is correct for my engine. I was just wondering if any one had calibarted one using a singnal generator and counter.