PDA

View Full Version : Duramax diesel vs...

RedAllison
01-08-2002, 01:24 AM
My 99 Z-71 Tahoe lease will be up this summer. I KNOW that I am replacing it with a 4x4 crewcab shortbox diesel and REALLY like the drive and quietness of the Duramax, but the aluminum heads scare me. I have been around hundreds of Powerstrokes and Cummins and they both are FINE engines with strengths of their own. I just am a GM man and the quietness of the 'max has me won over. But Ive been hearing about burnt valves and other head problems. Anyone in here had one with 50k+ miles yet? Any problems with the engines or 5speed Alli trans?

Thanks and the guns are goin away and the reels are gettin spooled,
RA

DRAGIN FLY
01-08-2002, 03:59 AM
go to thedieselpage.com and duromax6600dieselpage.com there you will find a duromax forum this should get you started I am hoping GM will build the Duromax Suburban also kennedytrailers.com has a diesel page and there great with GM diesels we even have my 94 running strong and dependable with 200k miles on it also kennedytrailer.com will save you money on parts good luck

O/B-1
01-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Being a GM man won't get you far with the Duromax....It's made by Isuzu.

Stray Kat
01-13-2002, 01:51 AM
I work in the service dept. at a GMC Dealership - so far to date we have had no problems with either the engine or the trans.
Everyone that has them seem to be quite satisfied with the performance & the fuel economy - as for the ISUZU engine we have sold & serviced trucks with their inline diesels in the medium duty W Series for years with very few problems. If those engines are any indication the DURAMAX should be a great engine - time will tell.

LaserModVee
01-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Have you had any of the new inline 6 motors in the Trailblazer's coming back yet?
A close friend of mine is a mechanic at a local Chevy dealer, he tells me that they've had a bunch of them coming in with locked up motors. I guess they're having problems keeping the sleeves in place.

Stray Kat
01-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Haven't seen any engine problems with the new GMC Envoy's.
Same engine as the Chevy Trail Blazer - have heard of some piston/cylinder problems which you referred to - none at our dealership as yet. Heard from a good source that the problem appeared at about 14000 miles.

Jim

Flat Out
01-16-2002, 09:46 AM
I have a 99 GMC Crew Cab Short Box 2500 4x4, 454,5spd. stick , 4.10s. I love it, lots of room, lots of power. I know the new trucks are different. If I was to replace it I would get the 8.1 (496) with a 6 spd. stick. In Canada the diesel is almost 6000 and the Allison is another 1500. With all the money I could save I could buy fuel for the truck and boat for a long time.
Many will disagree with me but I would rather have a gas motor.
I have 90km on my truck now. Towed our enclosed trailer with our '65 Corvette from ON. Canada to my folks place in Fla. without any problems. Mileage was about 8-10 mpg at 70-80 mph.

LaserModVee
01-16-2002, 10:05 AM
I have heard nothing but praise on the new 496 motor. A friend of mine travels all over the country following the Super Chevy drag racing series towing a 40' gooseneck full of promotional gear. He is a die hard Ford guy, and always towed with his mid-eighties 1 ton Ford. Last year he finally went to a Cheverolet, since they gave him the truck. They didn't think it looked too good having a Ford towing one of the Super Chevy trailers around! He is very critical of Chevy's, but that new 496 has him dumbfounded. I remember him saying that the tow through Colorado was effortless!

Stray Kat
01-16-2002, 08:09 PM
The 496 - 8.1L is a real power house - towed a 27' Searay Sundancer with one to Michigan. I was like towing my RIOT with my full size Blazer - towed like it wasn't even there. On the down side it is a very thirsty engine - 7-8 miles to a gallon reported from customers that have them.

Glenn
01-22-2002, 09:12 AM
I thought that Duromax diesel was a pretty neat motor when it came out but...Friend of mine works at a GM dealer near me and he says they have done 4 motors in 2 months. Something about the blocks cracking up near the deck and oil and coolant mixing. I haven't heard anything negative about the motor from anybody else though.

Glenn

Michael Dixon
01-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Red Allison, We run 5 of the Duramax's on our farm and I'd put it against any other truck on the market for pulling or convenience. For the last 10 years, we've been running Dodge's with the cummins.(Great engine-pitiful transmission) I got tired of the loud diesel, so I took a chance on the new chevy. This truck is wonderful. Because chevy has been the under dog diesel for so long, everyone has their doubts. I went to the local truck pulls 6 weeks in a row and won all 6 times. Done some bumper to bumper pulling-never lost. 50000 miles and been to the shop 2 times(once for a powersteering pump leak and once by my choice of computer reprogramming.) By the way according to all publications, there is slight difference in 1/4 mile times between 496 and duramax. After modifications it would take a procharger to make one run with a duramax(trust me I know) 7200# truck at 14.72 @ 102. It gets about 17 miles to the gallon.(others say more but mine never has) One of the farm trucks stays hooked to a 36 foot cow trailer all day every day.(although not recommended 37000 # loads are not unusual. Sorry for the lenghthy post. email me if you have any questions)

DoferGofer
09-09-2007, 09:22 AM
duramax(trust me I know) 7200# truck at 14.72 @ 102. It gets about 17 miles to the gallon.(others say more but mine never has) email me if you have any questions)
Judging by the weight of your truck, you must have a crew cab, long bed Silverado with just about every option available (just like mine).
At any rate, regarding your 1/4 mile time. Are you running any programs or mods to your truck, is the 14.72 from a bone stock truck?
So far, I have not been to the track with my truck but, intend to do so maybe next year just for ha ha ha's.
I am running the Preador@65hp, MBRP four inch cool dual turbo back and 265" tires.:)
OBTW, I have parked my Grand National and just play with the truck now plus, I can work the truck hauling wood for home heating and gravel for my dirt road to the house.

Regards,

Melvin

baja200merk
09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
check the threads date...