PDA

View Full Version : roll on 2 part epoxy paint

illMATTic
04-11-2005, 11:53 AM
i was wondering if anyone here has delt with some of the newer 2 part paints. i saw a part on "ship shape" where they rolled this stuff on. it looked good on tv. it cured very smooth. they said it had a 10 year life. any help would be great.

vwfreak
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
I tried using some 2 part paint last summer on a small sailboat I was restoring.
It worked very well, but...
Make sure it's not too hot/humid when you're going to try it out.
I painted my hull last July (not really the best weather conditions for it at the time)
The results were very good, but I did end up with a few tiny bubbles that I wasn't able to smooth before the paint became tacky to the touch. (fortunately they are not that visible) This paint had a short hardening time.
I don't know how it would hold up on a hull that planes, or flies??? I think a traditional spray booth method is still far better, both for finish & durability too.
It depends on what you want the finished product to look like I suppose.
Good luck with your project.

vwfreak, :D

Bigjohnsons
09-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Does That Stuff Come In A Kit And Who Makes It?

vwfreak
09-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I just had a look for you, but I've tossed the old containers away.
I bought it from Noah's Boat building supplies, in Toronto.
They are located just a block from my office. If I have a chance tommrow, I'll walk down there at lunch, and check the brand name for you. I know it was not Sikkens, maybe Epoxy Tech? I'll let you know for sure tommrow.

It comes in two containers that mix about 5:1, or just mix the whole batch as is (depending on the size of your project & the temperature/humidity too).
You just prep the surface, paint it on carefully with a brush, and then smooth out your brush lines with a good quality foam roller. Then wait... ;)

*a very small amount of thinner mixed with the paint will extend the working
time of the paint*

I'll try to get back to you tommrow on this.

vwfreak,

Bigjohnsons
09-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Thank You Very Much!

vwfreak
09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
It's called Epifanes Yacht Enamel.
It costs a bit more than Sikkens, but I think it's worth it.
Assorted sizes of containers available, and 42 different colors.
I even took a picture of the container for you. (had the camera with me anyways) *I'll post it later when i have a few mins to resize it*
http//www.epifanes.com

vwfreak,

Bigjohnsons
09-03-2005, 12:11 AM
thanks a lot thanks for all your help

vwfreak
09-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Good for wood/plywood, fiberglass, steel, and aluminum.
Drying time is approx 24hrs at 65F.
Noah's sells it for $58.30 CDN for 750ml. :eek:
Good luck with the painting.

vwfreak,

Gigi
05-09-2008, 11:40 PM
:eek: Do ya think one could use this on a bathtub??? :eek:

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

transomstand
05-10-2008, 05:51 AM
:eek: Do ya think one could use this on a bathtub??? :eek:

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Most people's first post are about boats, not bathtubs:D :D

Urethanes are not the best choice, most are for above the waterline. They're not ideal for constant immersion. A number of manufacturers make bathtub kits now, and work pretty well. They are epoxy systems.

Epoxies are not good for applications that get a lot of sunlight, the UV rays will degrade the finish, urethanes are better for that.

delawarerick
05-10-2008, 06:36 AM
When I worked for west marine I sold alot of interlux two part polyurethane. Mostly to blow boater that hand painted. I think they liked the fumes. I know they said they had good results. I would question if it would hold up at speed. Onebadaction on the board seems to really know paint I would ask him or wildman. Rick

transomstand
05-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Onebadaction on the board seems to really know paint

Then why won't he paint his boat?:eek: :D :D :reddevil:

Gigi
05-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the response....we've been having trouble finding the kits...BTW, we have a screamin' 21'er......that doesn't need ANYTHING! lolololol

Thanks so much....ride the wave........:thumbsup:

stokernick
05-10-2008, 12:18 PM
:) Interlux two part poly,one part poly,:thumbsup: Pettit Easypoxy with Protect primer[personal choice]!:thumbsup:

Gigi
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much........Will look into both

Gigi
Ride the wave````

transomstand
05-10-2008, 02:52 PM
:) Interlux two part poly,one part poly,:thumbsup: Pettit Easypoxy with Protect primer[personal choice]!:thumbsup:

Interlux Brightside and Easypoxy are single part urethanes, both excellent products, I have both on my Formula, and still look good after seven years. With practice, you can roll and tip the finish to make it look like it was sprayed.

Interlux Perfection and Epifanes are 2 part urethanes, can be applied the same way. The use of a catalyst means the finish will cure harder and be tough enough to polish.

Gigi
05-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you.......will look into it.....

Gigi
Ride the wave~~~~

Enticer1
05-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I used Interlux Interthane (2 part) on the deck and coach of my blow boat and other than the tedious prep work its a great product. It truly looks like it was sprayed on because it flows out so nicely. Although I don't think it could take the beating of a Mate's hull.

1BadAction
01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
When I worked for west marine I sold alot of interlux two part polyurethane. Mostly to blow boater that hand painted. I think they liked the fumes. I know they said they had good results. I would question if it would hold up at speed. Onebadaction on the board seems to really know paint I would ask him or wildman. Rick

Then why won't he paint his boat?:eek: :D :D :reddevil:

HEY! :eek: I know a little bit about paint, that's the whole problem... Gel performs sub-par when its sprayed out of the mold, is porous, and fades horribly (keep in mind I am about 10miles SE of the gates of hell). paints eventually blister where the boat sits on the bunks, and don't have the scratch resistance of gel. Either way you re-finish a boat you will have issues, and thats what led me to search for 2 part epoxy paints. Ironically I came across this thread via google. From what I can see, there are very few 2 part epoxy marine paints, and none of them are suited to our use.

anyhow, I wouldn't re-invent the wheel above the waterline, but doing something a little different than the norm on the bottom can get a nice result with not much of a compromise. :thumbsup:

MattGreen
01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I've got to toss in my 2 cents too. I've "rolled & tipped" both Pettit Easypoxy and Interlux Brightside, and both have been very good. Neither initial gloss nor gloss retention on the Brightside were as good as a Dupont automotive urethane in a topside application exposed to the elements a lot. It still held up very well though, especially considering it is "reasonably inexpensive" (it's all relative right, we're talking about marine products :rolleyes:). You really want to brush them thin and use the reducers they recommend. If you really want gloss and toughness, you have to go to a 2-part polyurethane, which is a job for professionals if you want to spray it. I eventually went this route (basecoat/clearcoat Awlcraft) and it looks amazing.

I'd rather spin ratchets than paint any day though !:)

Matt

Tail_Gunner
03-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Interlux perfection is perhaps one of the best paints you can find as a consumer. It is just as hard as any two part poly any pro shoots. With one little caveat roll it out and roll out the stippling with a closed cell roller. You results if prepped correctly will be as good a 5000 dollar pro job.

Tipping with a brush is old hat.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Tail_Gunner_2006/JAmi016.jpg?t=1236059450

See that yellow boat its 25' from the stern of the black boat...See much diffraction...:cool:

Fcmarine
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Tail in that picture are you showing us that the boat was done rolled on? If so that looks excellent considering that it was rolled on. Did you have to do alot of wetsand/buff to get it like that? Im very interested in that anywhere where you did a write up on it?

vista 88
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
great thread

Cig35Mistress
04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
IMHO - the best do-it-yourself paint is Signature Finish out of Stuart, Florida. Tom Fabula is a chemist, and he developed a three part, roll on paint, that dries hard as a rock, and looks 99.9% as good as a spray job, when his directions are followed to a 'T'. Check out www.signaturefinish.com for more information. I've used his product on a number of projects where spraying just wasn't possible.

Harry

WSJR1
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Interlux perfection is perhaps one of the best paints you can find as a consumer. It is just as hard as any two part poly any pro shoots. With one little caveat roll it out and roll out the stippling with a closed cell roller. You results if prepped correctly will be as good a 5000 dollar pro job.

Tipping with a brush is old hat.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Tail_Gunner_2006/JAmi016.jpg?t=1236059450

See that yellow boat its 25' from the stern of the black boat...See much diffraction...:cool:

I would like more specifics on this... I read years ago where someone rolled on Interlux Perfection and said you could not tell it wasnt sprayed. I want to do my Hydrostream Vector Bright white. But, I dont want to do the whole thing only to have to have it painted b/c what I did sucks...

So could we really break this down to Laymans terms...or even better. Pretend I am the biggest idiot alive :)

Thanks man, just dont want to waste time and $$...

WSJR1
05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174036&highlight=interlux+perfection