PDA

View Full Version : Combo boat/ pwc trailer

waytooslow
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Anybody have any comments/ photos about an overhead rack for carrying two pwc's on above the boat. I only need to do this about twice a year.

I have seen a few pictures but cannot find them now. I guess the options are a fixed rack with a small winch (crane style) to lower the Pwc or perhaps a set of rails to winch the pwc up to the racks. Alternatively, I was thinking about a rack that could be raised or lowered by having pivots top and bottom on all 4 legs-- so that it could be lowered with a winch cable (parallelogram style). One other approach that I have seen is where the trailer is extended in front of the boat and 2 pwc are stored on rails in front of the bow. It looks awkward and I wonder about the tongue weigh w/wo the pwc's; probably less wind resistance.

I currently have a trailer (soon to be for sale) that was built for an RV that carries a car or motorcycles on the bottom and a boat on a trailer facing backwards on a top rack. Behind anything other than an RV there is some wind resistance with the boat up high. This setup has convinced me however that having the weight up high is no problem whatsoever; the trailer tows great. I am limited on boat size with this setup and now want to go with a 26' v-hull. Todd

150aintenuff
02-05-2006, 11:23 AM
look to the waterski croud and their boats trailer manufactures.. I see combo trailers all the time.. you launch the boat.. drop the top down and back and drop the trailer in another cuple feet and offloat the PWC..

pwerwagn
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey Way2slow,

I know this is an old post but I missed it I guess....
Anyways, We have a setup sorta like this. Actually 2. We have one setup done, but it is a double decker paddle boat/jetski trailer. We have a 10' paddle boat (not one of the cheap plastic ones, this thing weights like 500lbs!!). we put it on the top deck of the jet ski trailer. We basically made arms that pivot up to the top deck, and use a 2000lb hand crank winch to raise/lower it. Its kinda tipsy, but it still tows good.

We are in the process of building a double decker trailer for my centurion, but I think i am gonna change the design mid-build and lengthen the trailer and put the 3 skis (Sea Doo HX, standup, Sea Doo XP) on front instead.

Reason being: when we go to the lake for the day to play, we usually just use the jet-skis. So, it could be a pain if you want to just use them, because you have to unload the boat, then unload the skis. its not a big deal I guess, but I think im gonna prefer them on front sideways.

The other reason, when you pull the ski's outta the water and start them to get the water outta the pipe and stuff, your gonna make a mess of the boat!! Plus, my 2-strokes that are pre-mixed sometimes have a little oil spooge on the exhaust that may drip on the seats....

I'll try to find pics of our double-decker jetski/paddle boat setup for you.
I'll also try to find pics of the way my boat is setup now (one jetski is basically straddleing the middle fork on bunks...)

--Jeff