PDA

View Full Version : Towing Tandem

MODVP22
04-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, I know this subject has been brought up before. I think Yammer mentioned it once (not sure off the top of my head). I know Mike Dixon does it with 2 RiverRockets,and I know Stream1 (Jim from HydroStream) did it this past year at Jasper. Does anyone know where I can find the laws for the different states, types of hitches, etc.?

Hottrucks
04-03-2005, 09:18 AM
This Question has pondered me for a while I'm just going to tag along and Hopfully you'll get so good info?? I'm mostly intrested in East coast states ( from NH to Fla) so I can move motorcycles and the boat.

rock
04-03-2005, 09:30 AM
I checked in Illinois when I still had my motorhome and found it is limited by the total length of your rig. I wanted to tow my boat and bike. I had a friend from Florida that towed his 30+' camper and a trailer for his golf cart to the Cup races and never had a problem with the law. Hank Hogan towed tandem to the Suwannie run and I think he is from Georgia. Apparently the law differs in each state.
Rock

captcarb
04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
I see it occasionally in Florida, but it is illegal.

Jim

Gordie Miller
04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
varies greatly from state to state, some variations have to do with lights, overall length, steer axle(yes, that's right, steer axle), brakes, weight, etc. etc. Sure would be nice to have a uniform law so we could do it. Most cops would not have a clue as to what the law is so they let it go, problem is, if they want to bust you, they make you drop one trailer where it is. Therein lies the biggest problem.

MODVP22
04-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I have heard about the overall length...but is that for the entire rig, or just vehicles in tow? I'd be running breaks on both trailers (that's the way they are already) and there are plenty of lights, LOL. Like I said, I know Jim at HydroStream pulled it off lastyear at Jasper and Mike Dixon does it regularly also. It would be nice to have a uniform law.

Gordi did this happen to you? Drop the trailer my @$$...sit there and wait or call AAA with a trailer hitch on a tow truck, lol.

MODVP22
04-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Swamprat,
Thanks man, those sites are really helpful. They pretty much put all the laws and limits out there. Now all I need is to figure out the towing apperatus :)

Goofis2
04-12-2005, 12:56 AM
What constitutes 2 trailers? If you were to have a swivel pin/ pintel hook type joint, like a tag-a-long semi trailer arrangment, with a seperate braking system for each, would this not be a legal trailer? Register as home built/ constructed "articulated" ( center pivot ) trailer. Just a thought.
Goofislbf@aol.com